Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Quik takes space when empty

[ New ]

I just finished all my projects and emptied Quik from all edits and all movies and the app still takes 7,51 GB! I stop it, I restarted my iPad and it still shows this much space being occupied. My downloaded songs are only 155 Mb. Is there a way to clear that without uninstalling the App? My iPad is only 64GB so in case of urgent big projects all space is needed. I can't see those big files within the app on the files listing as it's not sorted, I can't find big files anyway. And reinstalling the app isn't a big issue but I have 3 cameras so all installations etc, I prefer clearing a cache of movies or something. Thanks.

GoPro

Re: Quik takes space when empty

[ New ]
Hi @marcinp27435
Thank you for letting us know. I have reported this issue and I am hoping that our development team finds the "leak" and why the app is still taking space when it's empty. For now I don't have another solution than the clean install for you, especially if you need space urgently.
Sorry about that :(
Hiker

[ New ]

interesting, I had also wondered and first thought it was a problem in iOS.
I had the problem on the iPhone, on my iPad the memory, after deleting the data, was released again.

What I also noticed, the app had quite a high consumption of mobile data. 1.3Gb in three days. But I only upload over wifi.
Is there any way to explain this?

I have uninstalled the app first, that was too scary for me.

Hiker

[ New ]

I think there's a cache inside the Quik app which stores things like original versions of files, i.e. when you change the color filter or some other things, that doesn't get cleaned with a deletion of files. It could be some lost links too, my Quik app hangs and quits quite often, in the middle of an edit, or during exporting to Photos or during importing from my camera, like it missed resources and simply crashed. Those situations can create lost links to cache files too.

You can tell there's a hidden cache of files, what happens to me mostly with some longer kept files is that when I export to Photos, they take dozens of seconds or a minute to do it, you see the progress bar is slow, it looks like the file is being dragged from somewhere, from a deep ;) In contrary, fresh, lightly edited files, when exported to Photos take an eye blick and the Export is done, in no time.

Some time ago I had an impression it was in relationship to the Cloud storage of GoPro but i switched it off for all my files. Sorry GoPro, but after learning that storing files in GoPro Cloud and bringing them back resets the files timestamps to now(), I stop using it, the files creation times are very important to me for sequencing in my films and for storing/archiving purposes. Not sure if this corrected in recent times, I had that problem a year ago. I do have my GoPro Subscription but I do not store files in GoPro Cloud as I'm afraid of that problem reoccuring.

And at the end - the listing of files belonging to GoPro Quik app which shows up in iOS storage management makes no sense to me - why would I bother about removing /deleting some detailed files of a size of few kB? That list is useless, but maybe it's IOS's thing, not Quik's. Thanks.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi @marcinp27435
Thank you for your feedback and ideas. We don't know what's causing this, Quik/iOS or both. In QA / testing environments we are bound to deleted and install again the app like several times a day, so it makes testing this quite tricky and when testing this: having lots of footage, big and small, GoPro and not, Stories, Mural etc... and deleting them, I always saw the storage on my iPhone go down, it was never stuck like this happens for some users. We need to investigate this, it's a hard one.

@frankywe
About the cellular data, I'm a bit surprised. What app version was that?
In the app settings, you have an option in My Account > Use mobile data, you can uncheck that one if it's not.

Another thing - If you are downloading media, photos/videos from your phone that are located on iCloud for example, and you are not on Wifi then yes it will consume cellular data.
Or if your media are on the GoPro Cloud, same thing.
Hiker

[ New ]
You are welcome @haindash, i like The app, i feel like i can do pretty advanced things with it in a simple and fast way. I have few other suggestions too but I don’t want to outgo the scope of this thread. Will wait some updates on the storage management function then. Thanks again!
Hiker

[ New ]

@haindash 

Thank you for your reply. It was version 10.1. I have of course subsequently disabled the mobile data for the app later. I just found it interesting, but can not say where exactly the data was used.
Have on the road only a few times wirelessly transferred the movies to my phone. But no clips created, I always do something like that at home. Metadata synced maybe? But 1.3 Gb I found just a lot Smiley Surprised

But it's not bad for me, currently have your app installed on the iPad and deleted on the iPhone. The iPad has no cellular chip, so I am now safe Smiley Wink

GoPro

[ New ]
Strange indeed, maybe you had a mobile on, I'm not sure.
In any case, yes having the app on a device that only has wifi will prevent this from happening at all :))