Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Quik is crashing on Chromebook

[ New ]

First of all I have to let you know that we know you are not supportiung Chromebooks.

I'm sure only a really small minority of your users are running on Chromebook but for us you are the the best and almost the only option to edit videos in this quality, and we don't want to loose this tool. Yes, this means the Quik App worked well before so there is no need to build up a full Chromebook integration.

I was working with lot of video files (maybe 20) on 18th (maybe 19th of October) and few of them were bigger files (1-3 GB) when the app crashed and since then I can't start it, it keeps crashing right after the launch. I deleted the cache, the data, the app, reinstalled, but the result is the same. And the strange thing is, there was no OS or app update when the crash happened (I'm 99% sure I was offline).

Maybe there is just a leftover config file somewhere hidden. Can you ask a developer which folder should we delete to fix this issue?

Here is some info about my Chromebook:

Acer Chromebook 15 cb515 - https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2017/4876/CB515-1HT/NX.GPTEC.003.html

Chrome OS version: 69.0.3497.120

Current Quik Version: 5.0.2.3992-6d2f024f3

Last, but not least, thank you so much for your work, you are doing a great job!

PS: If there is any Chromebook user reading this, please let us know by posting a +1 or something!

Hiker

Re: Quik is crashing on Chromebook

[ New ]

Update: 

I just updated to Chrome OS 70.0.3538.76, but the error is the same.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have exactly the same issue

As soon as I launch Quick on my chromebook it crashes and says 'Quick has stopped' there is then options to 'open app again' (just crashes again) or send feedback.

I can now only edit my footage on my android phone(quick works fine on phone) which isn't ideal

Anonymous

[ New ]
I've had the same issue.
Asus c302 latest chrome OS, it constantly crashes. Please update support
Hiker

[ New ]

Guys, thank you so much for the confirmation, I hope that helps us to be more visible for GoPro.

Hiker

[ New ]

And here is a small update from my side:

I did a factory reset (powerwash) + tried with new Google account but the result was the same... I don't think anymore that a config file delete would solve the problem :/

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone, 

Thank you for the feedback. We have submitted this to the team in charge for future consideration. If you would like to explore, there are other programs that can be used to view and edit videos from your GoPro. You can learn more about it here

Best regards, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Marius!

Thank you for the feedback, we really appreciate that!

Based on my experience I think that "furute consideration" isn't a thing so we have to highlight that the app worked well 2 weeks ago and we are experiencing this bug since then.

Thank you for the alternatives, but since we run on Chromebook, we can't use any of them. And from my opinion, Quik is the best option. I just want it back :)

Best,

Peter

GoPro

[ New ]

This is noted, @ptrglys. Sorry to hear that the alternatives do not work as well. Will you be able to identify what could have changed why the app is not working anymore? Was it an update on the Chromebook that may have happened prior to the event you described on your initial post? Was it an update on the app itself? Any upgrade or update on your computer system that may have impacted how the app works? All these will help us isolate the source of the trouble. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya, thank you for caring about us!

I was thinking a lot in past days, but I dont think anything has changed. I'm 99% sure I was working offline when the app crashed so no OS or app update at this time. After I went online again and I had several OS and app updates. The only thing I can't test is trying an older version of Quik app, because I'm not in developer mode.

@Anonymous @Anonymous Do you remember how was your first time when the app started to crash?

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya!

Here is a small update from my side:

• The v5.0.0.3956-25e02c792 is good!!!
  • The v5.0.1.3988-d69b57a82 and the v5.0.2.3992-6d2f024f3 is crashing right after I start the app.

With this info it's easy to debug the root cause, hope your team can fix the issue soon :)

GoPro

[ New ]

This is noted, @ptrglys. Thank you!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have never had the app working, it has crash from the very first day I downloaded it from the play store

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm a newbie and just signed up, The app crashes on me every time I try to launch it.

I get a Quik has stopped message immediately. 

GoPro

[ New ]
Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank you Jay, good info!

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous,

@jayr3438's alternatives are good, but as I found, Quick is the best app to edit your GoPro videos (best quality, ecperience, etc.) however the current version is crashing on Chromebook. The latest good version is "v5.0.0.3956-25e02c792" but you have to enable the developer mode on your Chromebook to be able to install this version.

Hope the next version will fix this crash and we will be able to use the app again in normal mode.

Tourist

[ New ]

Having used this software to edit a video (from a cheaper style camera) in the summer on my Chromebook, with great results, I went out and brought a gopro for Christmas.  I did this because I found it so easy to use and I brought into the gopro dream of quick and simple with great results! 

I have just gone to edit the video and found I have the same problem.  I dont want to use another software to edit footage, I was doing this previously and it took longer and the results were nowhere near as good.  

I havent carried out any updates, I dont understand why this has happend???  

Please sort it out.

Anonymous

[ New ]

+ 1.  can't get it to properly synch w/ chromebook.  unlike op, i find this very disappointing/surprising. there are a lot of chromebook users and we are growing. had to reload gopro app x 2 to get app to find camera. then connect camera and keeps saying quik is not working. also noted that chromebook keeps connecting to camera as wifi connection and dropping my actual wifi att connection.  that's really buggy for this version.  mods please post some solutions

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous! Thank you for joining us, I hope this way we can highlight our problem for GoPro and they gonna fix it soon...

I don't want to pivot the topic, but the Wifi thing seems as a feature, not bug. Just enter the Settings -> Wifi, select a network and turn off the "prefer this network" and "Automatically connect to this network" option.

Sightseer

[ New ]

The same has obviously happened to me. 

Quick was so good and now, nothing.

Hope this gets fixed soon as a loyal gopro cunstomer.

Sightseer

[ New ]

just downloaded Quick on my chromebook and have same problem = crashed & wont open. this is not acceptable after forking out so much for Gopro camera !! seems to be a recurrent theme so why have Gopro not resolved this issue yet ?

Can anyone suggest an alternative video app so i can at least edit my first few videos taken ?

Hiker

[ New ]
Here are some alternatives, but these are far away in quality from Quik: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Can-I-edit-videos-photos-on-my-Chromebook/td-p...
Sightseer

[ New ]

I was using power director by cyberlink. Its a pay for app however and its still non comparable to quick. Though quick layering and good clear editing format. Check em out if you want to invest in editing from the chromebook.

I originally got a chromebook as i am always moving around, living out my backpack and wanted something light and quick, however as i am creating more and more for business i had to am betray you all, i have abandoned the chromebook for its limited nature and gone back to a laptop, forgive me and live on all. 

R.I.P. a once chromebook man...

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem here except it has never worked - 

What I want to do is uninstall it but I can't! Every time I start my Chromebook I get a Quik error message but the Play Store app manager won't let me remove it.....

Any ideas?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sweettree42254

What error message are you getting?

Have you tried accessing/deleting it through the Settings option of the Chromebook?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Come on @aragon1006 deleting and stuff like this doesn't help, we already figured out where is the problem:

"Here is a small update from my side:

• The v5.0.0.3956-25e02c792 is good!!!
  • The v5.0.1.3988-d69b57a82 and the v5.0.2.3992-6d2f024f3 is crashing right after I start the app.

With this info it's easy to debug the root cause, hope your team can fix the issue soon :)"

Tourist

[ New ]
Great post, come on gopro help us chrome book users!