Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Anonymous

Quik Video Exporting Issues on Samsung Galaxy Note 8

[ New ]
I am having trouble rendering videos in Quik. The finished video will freeze in transitions and start skipping clips. When I view the clips in progression in the editor the transitions and clips play perfectly. I have read a few threads and learned that lower end phones and Samsung phones have issues with this due to a problem with multiple decoders.

So my question is, do we know what is causing the freezes based on what videos are back to back? In my video I have various clip resolutions including 4K, 2.7K, 1440, and 1080. What I've noticed is that the video freezes in certain spots. In fact, most of the video is fine. There are only a couple of spots where it messes up. So it is possible the issue is only when certain clip resolutions are back to back? For instance a 4K transition to another 4K transition, or a 4K to a 1080, or a 1440 to 2.7K. My thought is that if I can rearrange my videos to avoid a freeze, it would be a temporary solution to this problem.

It's really unfortunate that this is happening, especially on this phone with 6 gigs RAM. I really enjoy Quik and my go pros but this is a serious roadblock for the largest majority of Android phone users. Hoping to find a solution soon.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Quik Video Exporting Issues on Samsung Galaxy Note 8

[ New ]

@aragon1006 @Anonymous @fastpike74286 @rapidjump11407 @fireymesa22358 

Hi all,

I don't know if you're aware of this but in the future Quik App and GoPro App will merge into one single app.

You don't have to own a GoPro to use it, it will still allow for other media than GoPro.

In this vast and huge project which is this "NewApp" we will be addressing this big Samsung / video decoder issue to the best of our ability.

Also: know that GoPro has contacted Samsung to try to work things out on this video decoder limitation but it was inconclusive.

In case you want to participate in the NewApp beta/feedback, follow this thread > https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Mobile/BETA-TESTING-help-us-make-Video-Editing-better/m-p/294163  

Cheers,

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Interesting! Thank you for sharing your observations here. There is currently no specific knowledge-based article regarding the back to back resolutions that the issue maybe specifically happening. So far we have steps to fix as listed here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/Quik-for-mobile-Crashes

We highly recommend that a feedback be submitted to the app team. Have you tried submitting a query via the contact form in Quik? The Quik app is being updated regularly based on crash reports received. Thank you for your patience as we continue to work towards improving the app's features and functions. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm having the exact same issue on my note 8, this is rediculous, with an app like quik and a flagship phone there shouldn't be any issues!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thank you for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the trouble. Have you already tried the suggested steps to fix? If the issue persists, our Support team will be able to walk you though further troubleshooting. You can reach them via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]
Having the same problem with my Galaxy S9+ right now. Came here to find answers. For now I can keep rendering the video until I get one with the least amount of visual issues.
GoPro

[ New ]

@Anonymous @Anonymous @Anonymous

Hi, 

Sorry about that.

It is indeed a known issue.

There are issues on Samsung devices with multiple high resolution videos that causes stutter in transitions, it's a hardware/software video decoding thing and we're looking at solutions but not easy.

Samsung/Galaxy and Quik don't work well together. Reason is simple: Samsung puts a limit on the number of video decoder available (3) which isn't enough to decode simultaneously several videos (which is needed for transitions between videos) the higher the resolution of the video, the more decoders are needed

Because of this lack of available decoders you'll get those stuttering effects during transitions.

For example this issue happens systematically on Samsung devices: a Samsung S7 will be able to decode 5 1080p videos at the same time but only 2 1520p videos at the same time.

To avoid this, you have to use lower resolution footage. Indeed 1080p should be good. Remember too: Quik App max output is 1080p so it won't increase quality if you use 4K footage. Your best bet is to stick to 1080p + choose Pro Quality and 60fps (if you're filming at 60fps)

4K: Decoding multiple 4K videos simultaneously is really demanding (processing, memory). On the iPhone side for ex. only some iPhone can handle 4K in Quik. So using 4K in your QuikStory will result in choppy transitions :(

Side note: Devices that will work smoothly with Quik without this issues: Pixel, Huawei, One plus 3, 3T, 5 and 5T, Nexus 5x, Nexus 6p

Hope this helps :)

Tourist

[ New ]

Could you have an updated list of the truly compatible phones? LIke the list you posted but then updated and complete? Would be helpfull in selecting a phone.

GoPro

[ New ]

@rickp64

Devices that will work smoothly with Quik without this issues: Pixel, Huawei, One plus 3, 3T, 5 and 5T, Nexus 5x, Nexus 6p

Sightseer

[ New ]

também estou com este mesmo problema no meu Samsung J6, android 8.0, no meu antigo Motorola inferior funcionava perfeitamente.

Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @fastdusk86381

We are getting some reports regarding the export quality when using a device running on Android 8.0.

What is the version of the (Quik)app installed on your phone?

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

@haindash,

I've seen several posts where you describe this decoder limit that Samsung places on their phones. Do you have any documentation from Samsung to support this? I can't find any reference to this other than these forums. If this is the problem, why are some users reporting that a previous version of Quik worked fine with the same phone? What changed about Quik that it now requires more decoders?

The suggestion to record 1080p video is well taken, but do you know of tools we can use to convert existing files?

GoPro

[ New ]

@flashkube There's no documentation on this, this is what we found out in our testings of Quik with Samsung devices.

Our goal is to improve Quik so that it requires less decoders, it is a lot of background work and we are working on it for the future.

GoPro

[ New ]

If you wish to edit 4k content:
Create a QuikStory via GoPro App, footage is converted to 1080p (original footage remains at 4K)
To create QuikStories automatically: Connect your GoPro (HERO5 or newer) to the GoPro App within 72 hours* after you shot some footage. GoPro App detects your GoPro and files will be automatically transferred, copied on GoPro App Home and ready to be sent to Quik App to make a QuikStory.

* you can change this timing in the GoPro App Settings / QuikStories > choose Media Lookback to 7 days instead of 3.

Hope this helps

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi @haindash,

When you say "Create a QuikStory via GoPro App" how do I do that? When I select a video from the Medial list the only option is to use the Q button which opend Quik.

GoPro

[ New ]

@flashkube I just did that how-to video :) Here: https://gopro.com/v/lr8904D5nElp3

You have to connect your GoPro to your GoPro App after you shot some footage and then it's automatically copied on your GoPro App. You have to do it right after you shot the footage though, there's a time limit > 72 hours after you shoot your footage (on iOS you can choose up to 7 days but I just found out that you can't extend the limit on Android)

Let me know if it helps.

GoPro

[ New ]

Android.png

In the Settings of GoPro App Android > activate Auto-Mode for automated QuikStories.

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same problem :( I've already did everything but after 20 seconds of good transitions the issue show up. Check the second 0:20 of my video... :( https://gopro.com/v/y88momPqrkRqR Regards!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi, @r0brts 

That's typically the video decoder issue. Sorry about that. Work is being done to improve this but it's a long and hard background work.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello

The same issue with my Samsung galaxy S6 (and S7) even with 1080p rushs (60p).

Will you (gopro) find a solution or will you not be able to bypass the Samsung's limitation on video decoder ?....

Is it the same limitation on Galaxy tab ?

How many users of Samsung Galaxy around the world.... so sad. My gopro 7 black lost a big part of interest (to make videos during travel)

GoPro

[ New ]

Yes, the work and optimizations we are doing go in that direction. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Problem solved on my Samsung note8 by wiping data and wiping cache.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for sharing @rapidjump11407

This will help others who may be experiencing the same.

Regards,

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
Same problem with my Note 8 and Quick. Please fix it.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @fastpike74286

Were you able to try what rapidjump11407 posted?

Thanks!

Ej

GoPro

[ New ]

@aragon1006 @Anonymous @fastpike74286 @rapidjump11407 @fireymesa22358 

Hi all,

I don't know if you're aware of this but in the future Quik App and GoPro App will merge into one single app.

You don't have to own a GoPro to use it, it will still allow for other media than GoPro.

In this vast and huge project which is this "NewApp" we will be addressing this big Samsung / video decoder issue to the best of our ability.

Also: know that GoPro has contacted Samsung to try to work things out on this video decoder limitation but it was inconclusive.

In case you want to participate in the NewApp beta/feedback, follow this thread > https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Mobile/BETA-TESTING-help-us-make-Video-Editing-better/m-p/294163  

Cheers,

Tourist

[ New ]

@haindash 

Thanks  for your message. I will take a look on this « beta version program »

Quick stay one of the best app on mobile for fast editing (do you know any other app that you can really use on a phone ?)

the main thing : automatic editing that you can really modifie with one finger 

keep continue to work on it ! Do not give up

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi there. Has this issue been resolved yet by any chance? Without the workaround?
Tourist

[ New ]
Sorry didn't realize I wasn't looking at the latest posts. I signed up for the beta program releases
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi, @paulo107 

I saw that you've signed up, thanks :) 

Now you can ask to join this beta testing group > https://www.facebook.com/groups/goproapp.android.beta

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi, to everyone! I want to add some comment on my solution. I think that the main problem is the updates of note8 system. I was experiencing some problems after updates not only with quik video, but with some other applications too. As an example - garmin application. Modern android software became not less complicated than windows software. So when you going to install the next large update, dont be lazy to wipe your data first, considering opportunities of data backup. It will take not more than an hour, but you will be sure, your system works properly, your battery works properly and all apps also.
Tourist

[ New ]

@rapidjump11407 wrote:
Hi, to everyone! I want to add some comment on my solution. I think that the main problem is the updates of note8 system. I was experiencing some problems after updates not only with quik video, but with some other applications too. As an example - garmin application. Modern android software became not less complicated than windows software. So when you going to install the next large update, dont be lazy to wipe your data first, considering opportunities of data backup. It will take not more than an hour, but you will be sure, your system works properly, your battery works properly and all apps also.

My S9 is actually brand new device and factory reset and I just discovered this issue (so I don't think that's the issue, at least not with the S9).. I'm sure the developers will figure out the decoding issue soon enough (hopefully).

I use the Quik app for Android for everything since the Desktop version for Mac is limited to 1 minute long clips.

Went from SnapDragon 820 (LG v20) to SnapDragon 845 (S9) just so that I can improved my performance with this Quik app unfortunately it does have that transistion stutter issue as noted. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

@haindash Any updates on the newer devices that work smoothly with Quik without any issues?

GoPro

[ New ]

@spirywater88815  I have users reporting that the Samsung S10 or Huawei P20 were working well with Quik.

Explorer

[ New ]
@haindash
Are people who signed up and signed the NDA getting access now? I haven't heard anything.
GoPro

[ New ]
Not yet. I will send an email as soon as ready :)