Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Explorer
Accepted Solution

Quik Stories created with last video first and first video last

@mariustanya 

When I create videos using Quik Story, the last video that I have recorded becomes the first video in the time line.  In other words, if I record 5 video clips A.B.C.D.E. and then use Quik Story to transfer the media to my phone and auto create a Quik story video, the order of the clips in the produced video comes out E.D.C.B.A. so the "story" is very confusing.  I seem to remember that it used to work the other way around as all of my other Quik videos are in the correct chronological order.

i am using an LG v30 phone on Android Oreo 8.0 with the latest version of the GoPro app and the beta tester latest version of Quik.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Quik Stories created with last video first and first video last

@danielr15 @mariustanya 

I did face the problem myself in my last testing... Pass to Quik from GoPro App to Quik App on Android only is broken > media are in reversed order.

This is terrible I know but since we're focusing on the big work of merging the two apps this isn't going to be fixed :(

Selecting media in GoPro App then sending them to Quik will show the wrong order, wether you select some media or a whole day. :(

The only thing left is to download the media to your phone and select them from there directly in Quik, I know it's sub-optimal but not much that can be done here. Sorry sorry

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

@haindash
Is Quik Story supposed to be creating videos where the last recorded video appears first and the first recorded video appears last?
Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the details that you provided, @danielr15. How long has this been observed? I just checked on recent QuikStories but the videos (and photos) automatically included are in correct chronological order. We will look into this issue further and see if we can replicate it. We will keep this thread posted. 

Highlighted
GoPro

@danielr15 @mariustanya 

I did face the problem myself in my last testing... Pass to Quik from GoPro App to Quik App on Android only is broken > media are in reversed order.

This is terrible I know but since we're focusing on the big work of merging the two apps this isn't going to be fixed :(

Selecting media in GoPro App then sending them to Quik will show the wrong order, wether you select some media or a whole day. :(

The only thing left is to download the media to your phone and select them from there directly in Quik, I know it's sub-optimal but not much that can be done here. Sorry sorry

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the update, @haindash

Highlighted
Explorer

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure this wasn't always the case, so i'm at least glad to know I wasn't imagining things :}~

Hopefully after this major update there will be time and resources for the fine tuning. As someone who used to exclusively use computer editors (Studio, Resolve, Premiere Pro/After Effects) I was a little reluctant in transitioning to mobile editing with Quik. However, I've been using the Quik Story auto transfer/video creation more and more this last year and have come to really like it. I really appreciate all of the hard work the GoPro developers are putting into mobile solutions and can only imagine how difficult dealing with Android and the multiple devices and skins must be.

It's really not that difficult to do the second step of saving locally and then creating a Quik video, so I'm good for now.

I film family memories as well as my surfing and activities almost daily so i've really come to love Quik.  I was able to just rearrange the clips in this latest video, but it did take considerably longer as Quik recalculated the video after every move.  Saving locally and just creating like we used to probably would have been faster.

Comparing two videos, one created by Quik and one I made in Adobe premiere Pro, I've really come around to using Quik more often.  Sure spending the hours editing on my computer gives me more control and usually a better result, but compared to the few minutes it takes with Quik, I have to question the worth of desktop editing for most of my videos.

Quik (Auto Created while we were still at the beach) Flat color profile used in camera.

Adobe Premier Pro (and a lot more time spent editing)

Quik (Auto created by the time I got home from surfing)

Adobe Premier Pro (and a lot more time spent editing)

Highlighted
GoPro

@danielr15  Thanks for the kind words.

Yes just download media to your device and select from Quik, you'll have to forget the Pass to Quik option, sorry about that. But yes regorganizing so many media is just not possible !!!

"can only imagine how difficult dealing with Android and the multiple devices and skins must be." > YEP that IS a challenge!!! Reason why Quik has so many problems on Samsung for ex...

"Sure spending the hours editing on my computer gives me more control and usually a better result, but compared to the few minutes it takes with Quik, I have to question the worth of desktop editing for most of my videos." > I TOTALLY agree with you. I've started some long discussion with users on that matter after I made a review of PowerDirector a competitor app. Quik isn't about tweaking every little thing it's about having something that look nice and fast. We keep control on the artisitc direction so that your video will look nice in the end without having users spend looooots of hours on editing. And on the side some manual options are there too...

Your videos look great!
On the horse video Quik one > you should have added a filter to improve colors, that's the only thing missing.

On the horse video Adobe one > some transitions, I really don't like... 

I'm biased but I like Quik better ;) 
On the surf videos, both videos look great, yes it seems like you've spent more time on the Adobe Premier one, but I'm sure you could do more or less the same on Quik using lots of HiLights to choose your OWN moments and some HiLight as slomo + trim here and there for the perfect shot.

Everything is a trade off and you have to choose - 20 minutes on a video that is cool or several hours on a video that is perfect how you wanted it and more. There's a saying: better is the enemy of good ;) 
I personally make tones of videos for any activities I do with friends or family, I don't have time to spend soooo much time on every single video. Taking photos/videos, organize them then edit them, it's serious time and work. The less time I spend on editing, the more I spend on actually doing stuff ;) 

Cheers,

Highlighted
Explorer

" The less time I spend on editing, the more I spend on actually doing stuff ;) "

That's the key right there!

Thanks for taking the time to watch and critique. I agree with your comments.

All my best,
Daniel