Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Nomad

Quik Key fails for secondary files (long videos) only - successfully diagnosed

I've documented on a couple of other messages about the issues faced with Quik Key importing and I've extensively tried various scenarios to try and lock down a repeatable failure, I've finally discovered the problem and can repeat it 100%.

The issue is that the files don't display when opening the GoPro app and plugging in the Quik Key.

fullsizeoutput_6dc.jpeg

More detail about what I've tried before in another message but ultimately I was trying multiple cameras, multiple iOS devices, even multiple Quik Key and neither was exclusive or non-inclusive of the issue but what was obvious was that is was the files and not either of the software or hardware. More than likely it was the metadata in the files.

I was starting to notice it was always longer videos which prompted the thought that maybe it was something to do with the continuation files. By continuation files, I mean the second file that is created once the maximum file size limit of 4GB is reached.

I confirmed this by just renaming the extension on the second MP4 file so that the app wouldn't recognise it, plugged it back into the Quik Key and...

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 09.49.20.png

BOOM! There's the files. I renamed it back to MP4 and it failed again. 

I've tried this a bunch of times and can confirm it worked on both Hero 5 Session and Hero 5 Black.

Working on Session

fullsizeoutput_6dd.jpeg

Hero 5 Black trigger from the same Smart Remote.

fullsizeoutput_6df.jpeg

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 10.42.46.png

fullsizeoutput_6e0.jpeg

Now that I know what it is, I just need to keep every video under 8:52! GoPro, now that I've diagnosed it, could we get a fix please :-)

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Quik Key fails for secondary files (long videos) only - successfully diagnosed

Hello @nmd351

This is great! Thank you for sharing. I will have this forwarded to the team so they can look into it. By the way, which version of the GoPro App do you have, and which phone OS are you using?

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Quik Key fails for secondary files (long videos) only - successfully diagnosed

Awesome!

Everything is the latest version. The app is 4.6 (2671), the phone is 11.4.1, iPhone 8 Plus.

Highlighted
Tourist

Same for me except iPhone X
Highlighted
Tourist

It’s your app
Highlighted
Nomad

Tested on multiple devices, uninstalled, re-installed, it's not the individual app instance.

It may be a bug in the app, which is why we're raising it so it can be resolved, but it's not the individual installation of the app.
Highlighted
Tourist

very nice! i have the same issue on my longer videos that create chapters. When you rename extension and try to view them from the quik key... can you move them to your phone for editing?

i have iphone X, newest apps and newest version of quik key (2 of them)
Highlighted
Tourist

With you main explanation it helped me figure out a solution. The only files that are missing a .THM files are the mp4 files that are part of chapters (GP***.mp4). I took a copy of a .THM file from the main GOPR and remaned it to the same name as the GP***.THM... believe it or not the videos now showed when using the quik key but as expected they have the wrong thumbnail picture.

I then found a thumbnail creator app called 'video thumbnals maker' which i can create a thumbnail from the video. This created a .jpg thumbnail for that specific GP chapter .mp4. I then renamed them all from .jpg to .THM...

BINGO... all videos worked from the quik key and displayed a good thumbnail for use and editing.

so... GoPro... PLEASE FIX THIS. we have identified an issue, and a workaround.