Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Quik Key - Import Issues

Same problems here. Cannot import, blank thumbnails, corrupted files, cannot download. I’m using a SanDisk Extreme v30 64Gb which is on the supported list, I’ve tried two different iOS devices, two different app installs, formatted the card both in my PC and in the camera. Tried changing the recording format down to 1080. Still having issues. This piece of hardware and/or app is garbage. 

Highlighted
Hiker

So since posting this a couple of weeks ago, I've been experimenting to try and find a pattern. The short story version is there isn't one but I did find something interesting that might determine the issue to be in the files, not the app or the Quik Key itself.

Similar to what @nicedive2220 described, I've tried two variations of everything, including two different Quik Keys, I ordered a new one when I couldn't find my old one, which reappeared as soon as the new one turn up of course! :-)

I've tried two different devices, iPhone 8 Plus and iPad mini 4, two different GoPro's, Hero 5 Black and Hero 5 Session, two different SD Cards, both Sandisk but one Extreme and Extreme Pro, I've tried almost every different resolution and frame rate and no matter which of these combinations I try, it will work completely randomly. Unplugging it in, not working, unplugging, force close app, repeat, repeat a dozen times then it suddenly works.

However, I also have another device that is almost identical to the Quik Key but it is from Lexar. Yesterday I opened the files on the GoPro Quik Key and had the same issue, opened the same files on the Lexar one and it also failed in the same way. It opened a couple of the files but then crashed on one particular file. One of the files that were a continuation file, that is bigger than 4gb so it splits the file. So both the GoPro and the Lexar card reader, both failed on the same file. 

The problem may actually be in the metadata of the file itself, not the app or the Quik Key. Smiley Surprised

Highlighted
Hiker

So it's definitely a file structure problem, it's not the key itself. While, yes, I am using the same key here to read these two cards, the same pattern exists on two separate cards/cameras triggered from a single source, a Smart Remote. 

The setup is a Hero 5 Session and a Hero 5 Black, both connected to the same remote. The ride was to work for just under an hour where I stopped the started the cameras a few times during the trip. Coincidently, or not, the same files are not readable via the Quik Key. 

Yes, this may be pure coincident but everything, including what I posted previously, is pointing towards the Quik Key not being the actual issue but the files themselves and the way they are written.

Personally, I think all of the issues I have with GoPro cameras are to do with the way the metadata is written into the movie files. 

Next step is to work out if the failed files are only the ones with certain metadata, like highlights. I use voice commands to highlight videos. My next bet is that it's those files that have failed...Smiley Surprised

Hero 5 Session

fullsizeoutput_6db.jpeg

Highlighted
GoPro

Interesting findings, @nmd351. Thank you for sharing. Please keep us posted on how it goes with testing whether Hilights have an impact. Many thanks!

Highlighted
Sightseer

FYI, I am using a GoPro 4 Silver and a GoPro 3 black and have this exact same issue and I do not use hightlights of any kind so you can rule that out as being the issue. I have tried several different cards on the compatibility list and all kinds of other tricks including lowering the camera resolution and FPS settings to no avail. 

Highlighted
Hiker

I've posted an update to this issue here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Mobile/Quik-Key-fails-for-secondary-files-long-videos-...

That post details the successful diagnosis plus a workaround. The short version is that is has to do with the continuation files when they reach the 4GB limit.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have this same issue. I reached out to support and they sent me a 2nd quik key. I wish i could say the 2nd key worked but it didn't... same issue. Same exact look as the above photos

Any video that is long enough to create chapters does this. If you shoot shorter videos that will be less than 4gb, you will not have an issue. This is such a pain. The only way to get the videos that have chapters to my phone is to transfer over wifi from my gopro itself... which is slow and defeats the purpose of the quik key. 

Such a pain and a disappointment. 

Highlighted
Tourist

found a solid workaround...

With you main explanation it helped me figure out a solution. The only files that are missing a .THM files are the mp4 files that are part of chapters (GP***.mp4). I took a copy of a .THM file from the main GOPR and remaned it to the same name as the GP***.THM... believe it or not the videos now showed when using the quik key but as expected they have the wrong thumbnail picture.

I then found a thumbnail creator app called 'video thumbnals maker' which i can create a thumbnail from the video. This created a .jpg thumbnail for that specific GP chapter .mp4. I then renamed them all from .jpg to .THM...

BINGO... all videos worked from the quik key and displayed a good thumbnail for use and editing.

so... GoPro... PLEASE FIX THIS. we have identified an issue, and a workaround.