Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Quik IOS APP hanging and crashing when editing

[ New ]

Hi, i was refferd by Apple APP store team, i use iPad to create edits but after creating any edit, the app hang and crash most of the time. Any solution?

i have Gopro 9 and using 4k clips

GoPro

Re: Quik IOS APP hanging and crashing when editing

[ New ]

Hi,

Sorry about that, do you mean the app is crashing or the app / rendering is stuck?
What is your iPad? If you are editing 4K footage it could be a memory issue that you are experiencing, app crashes because the device can't handle the big 4K footage. Personally when editing 4K media in a Story with an iPhone X, the phone was lagging a bit because it's quite heavy.

It could be interesting to check with lower resolution footage maybe? Or see if you have the same issue with another device?

Multi-clip edits (Stories), require the app to open up multiple files simultaneously, in order to smoothly transition from one clip to the next. This is fine for files like 2.7K 120, 1080/60 and so forth. But, for the larger resolution files it can crash.
We’re working on ways to improve this.

If the app is stuck while rendering:
Try to save your video to the App so you're sure it's on the Edits tab of GoPro Quik App, then, kill the app and restart your device.
Open the project again, try to change the order of some media, try to use another video style (Raw), try removing some media, changing music, try to play with the duration of the global project, if it's a faulty media it's a bit difficult to know which one is at fault... Consider the number of files you have / size and duration. It's a bit of a trial and error thing here sadly.
The goal of making those little modifications is to reset the project / to unblock it in case some specific combinations has blocked it. 

Hope this will help.

In any case know that update 8.4 is just around the corner. Bug and crash fixes coming up.

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

I use iPad 6th generation, i do download the files first and then start editing, the files are 2-8 minutes recordings, it works fine with my iPhone 12 pro. 

I tried to do all of these suggestions except downgrading the quality, nothing worked, the only way to do it is to download all files and use iMovie to create a story, and it works perefctly fine.

This is my first go pro, its the latest (9) i bought it becuase it support 5k and i checked the minimum requiremnets for the app to work, nothing was mentioned that i need latest iPad or iPhone to be able to use 5k and 4k.

What is the use of such an expensive device if i cannot use its capabilities and i have to downgrade from 5K to 2.7K??? Or i have to buy another device for 1000$ to be able to use it?

honestly, i am so annoyed and disappointed of the qulaity of products from such a reputable brand.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem. With photos, I have the same problem too.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

Indeed 5K, 4K 4:3, 360 cannot be added in a Story. Multi-clip edits (Stories), requires the app to open up multiple files simultaneously to create the transitions between one clip to the other. This is ok in 2.7K 120, 1080/60 or 4K if you have a top notch device. (Ex: on my iPhone X 4K Stories were lagging)
But, for the larger resolution files like 4K 4:3 and 5K, opening multiple files of those sizes will be too demanding it will crash any phones on the market today :(

iPad 6th generation > chipset A10 / iPhone 12 Pro > chipset A14 so that explains why it works better on your iPhone 12.
Tourist

[ New ]

But same files open fine on the same device using iMovie app and i am able to create more than 1 hour 4k movies with no lag nor crash.

If this is the case, then why its not mentioned in the minimum requirements?

GoPro

[ New ]
Yes indeed, so iMovie is made by Apple on their own products so I guess they have possibilities that we don't. They may also not be decoding two video files are the same time to transition. I don't know how their app works. But it sure it also a good editing product.
A10 is the minimum requirement to handle 360 files for example https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/360-Media-Support-in-the-GoPro-App/ta-p/408043
In any case it will work better on a more powerful phone which is what you experience.
Tourist

[ New ]

It is really disappointing to receive such a response from a company worth 1 Billion USD.
By the way, my iPad has the A10 chip.

Anyway and since there is no solution from your side, please advise on the process to return the camera and get a refund?