Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Quick aspect ratio

@glennggrech @hardywave43734 

I am sorry to report that the bug has been fixed on iOS side but not on Android yet :( I have just found out and I am sorry...

The solution is that you have to choose FIRST the global format of your video - so cinema - and then do the rest of your edit and save.
That way you won't have this issue.

The problem is that once you save the global format is applied to all asset at individual level.

The square format is default because it's a good format to share a video (Instagram) however I agree with you, I always make my edits in 16:9.

Highlighted
Tourist

I should be able to default the format .. the owner of the camera .. (instagram is not the sole purpose people exist) we had a tonne of settings like choosing quality and fps of our exports in the quick app. All these are removed .. along with the format settings which (if im not mistaken was automatically remember on the quik app) not sure bout the last one though
Highlighted
GoPro

I like 16:9 better and I don't share anything on IG - but that's just me.
Others people only do square so I don't know :)

When you start your edit - choose right away the cinema format for your global project and then you are good.

FPS / Resolution > default is 1080p / 60 fps. It is just not exposed

Format setting of your edit is remembered by the app when you save yes. It's just that the fact that it is applied to all individual media is a bug that was fixed on iOS but not on Android yet.

Other settings that were in Quik App but not yet in GoPro App will come as we go and improve the app.

A new update is planned for the end of this month so things are moving
Highlighted
Tourist

So if format setting after my first video then whybdoes it always start off square when previous edit was 16:9 ? Thats what i meant ..

Choosing my edit format before can be a bit hard because i auto offload and it automatically creates a story (including photos) for me to "alter and start off from" but since start of convo i figured out (just now really) . That the pixelation of the photos are only in the app in the editable project .. it seems that once u export it (this time) its ok ..even on android
Highlighted
Tourist

And honeslty . Thank you for the fast replies .
Highlighted
GoPro

So - every new edit you start, the default format will be square, even if for your previous / another edit, you changed it to cinema.

It awlays starts off as square, so when starting a new edit, always go to global format setting and change to cinema.

On your current edit, if you hit Save, then open to edit it again, the format will be cinema. I am doing it right now on a video I save as cinema, when I open the edit, it's cinema again - it is not back to square.

On the automatically created story, as soon as it opens - hit the last icon on the bottom tab to change the global aspect ratio of your video and you're good to go.

The only thing you shouldn't do (because of the current bug) is leave it as square / save / reopen / change to cinema > all your individual media will be set to square and this is bad because you have to change the aspect ratio in each media!

Yes the pixelated issue is only in preview, not in exported format > also this bug is fixed (I've tested this morning) on the next update coming end of the month (on photos)

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, 

Any idea when update to fix GoPro app for Android aspect ratio bug will be released? It is quite annoing. I just edited 12 videos and wasn't aware of this. 

Br,

-Joonas

Highlighted
GoPro

@sweetmesa08455 

Sorry about that I've tested on 6.2.3 the behavior is the same - following discussion with the Dev Team the change is complicated to implement, not a trivial modification - I have no info as of when we will tackle the issue.

The work-around is to always set up first the project format you wish to have for your video and then save - don't save and then change the project format after or you will have to change it in all individual media. Sorry about that.