Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Re: Protune settings removed from app

[ New ]

Seems like they don't want to tell us the truth for some reason.  It appears as though they lost a lawsuit and cannot actually legally give us protune anymore:

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/contour-ip-holding-llc-v-gopro-inc-70318/

Not sure why they decided to make it sound like something they wanted to do on purpose, it juts makes them look like they think we are stupid.

GoPro, we recgonize a BS explanation when we see one - we're not stupid.  Please treat us with more respect. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hopefully GoPro is able to figure out the licensing with Contour. Since Contour is only a holding company at the moment, guessing they are just waiting for the right price from GoPo

Not having Protune settings is a big imprediment.

Hiker

[ New ]

It's nto actually Contour - they are out of business, but they sold their Patents to another company. 

That being said, it's not as easy as you might think, especially after the past litigation.  Assuming both parties are actually interested in pursuing a licensing deal, it ends up being a big game of chicken.  if the seller is asking too much, GoPro will decide to just move on without Protune (which seems to be their position currently).   If GoPro wants it badly enough, it's a license for the seller to essentially extort them (this is what patent trolling is). 

So, the buyer's best position is to assume they don't need the IP, carry on as usual, and wait for the patent owner to figure they won't get anything at all for the IP, and give it up for cheap.... and many tiomes it never happens at all.  

Hiker

[ New ]

as far as i've read, the lawsuit was on the idea streaming from a camera , while remotecontrolling it, based on bluetooth and GPS data.

If that is really true, it makes no sense only disabling the protune-settings.

In that case, they had to disable all remote functionality, not only pt

There is no known issue about specific parts of remoting.

However, if this is true , it sounds so typical for the u.s .... it is now more then urgent to start all over totally from scratch.

Or maybe someone here only spreaded semi-fake-news , to cover the truth on behalf of the company. Would'nt be the first time.

Anyway ... all gopro products are out of our business since nearly a year now... and that will not change in foreseeable time

Tourist

[ New ]

I have 3 GoPro cameras. In the near future I will replace them with other action cameras. The reasons are simple - greed. Any company should make money for the happiness of people. Every time I buy a new camera, I become unhappy. For example, all my life I've been shooting in superview mode. Now this mode is not present in GoPro 9. I need to buy a lens that makes this camera better. I have to earn more. Now the protune mode has been removed and I cannot make more professional camera settings. Also, for professionals in the GoPro 6 camera in firmware higher than 1.6, the recording of information about the accelerometer was removed, which worsened post-processing in the RealSteady Go program. This prevents the development of third-party ambitious projects. In general, there is such a saying in Russia. Once such a booze has started, I go to get another camera.

Sorry, Translated by Google.

У меня 3 камеры ГоПро. В ближайшее время я из заменю на другие экшн камеры. Причины простые - алчность. Любая компания должна зарабатывать деньги на счастье людей. Каждый раз покупая новую камеру я становлюсь несчастным. Например я всю жизнь снимал в режиме супервью. Теперь этого режима нет в ГоПро 9 . Надо докупить линзу, которая делает эту камеру лучше. Я вынужден зарабатывать больше. Теперь убрали режим протюн и я не могу сделать более профессиональные настройки камеры. Также для профессионалов в камере GoPro 6 в прошивках выше 1.6 убрали запись информации об акселерометре, что ухудшило постобработку в программе РеалСтеады Го. Что мешает развивать сторонние амбициозные проекты. В общем в России есть такая поговорка. Раз пошла такая пьянка, я ухожу к другой камере. Простите, Перевел Гугл.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I don't know what kinda shady stuff GP have going on, but I uninstalled the new version, installed the apk of the older version posted earlier and it worked. So I paired all 5 of my gopros and everything worked swimmingly. The next morning I realize it auto updated overnight even though I have auto update OFF. So I do everything over again, making double sure auto update is off.

This morning I wake up and it updated itself again. I am super POed. Guess I can't use my GP's so pretty useless to have a GP subscription now.
Tourist

[ New ]

I currently use my GoPro as a webcam for work and other stuff. 

When they updated the app, I lost all my settings on the camera for some reason.

So I had to remove everything on my desk, drag my screen out, unplug the camera, remove it from the housing, charge the battery (I only use USB-power for the webcam-mode), apply new settings with ProTune on the display on the back of the camera.

I removed the battery again, put the camera back in its place, connected everything, turned the camera back on.

Settings have ben resetted to default.

This camera is as useful as a stone brick.

Hiker

[ New ]

The worst thing is that the App update details only mention "Fixed issue with media stored on icloud" - they don't mention anything about removing Protune or anything.

To me, that is blatant misrepresentation to trick people into downloading the app.

Shameful.