Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Re: Protune settings removed from app

[ New ]

This happens when company wants you to buy remote. Greed is root of all evil.

Bring back ProTune to apps, that's so basic. Insta360 can do this, hell, they can do waaay more than this in their apps. GoPro need to seriously reevaluate this decision to remove ProTune.

Sightseer

[ New ]

what the f**k .. how am i supposed to change the settings now if i can't physically access gopro 8? What about gopro sesion users? This is a disgusting step backwards !!!

Sightseer

[ New ]

somewhere in the Gopro war room people discussing stocks going down:

- guys, one of the problems is our touchscreen on hero9 is disgustingly bad... You see how even tech reviewers struggle to show menu interactions doing multiple cuts to get to the right menu. What can we do about it?

- lets remove the Protune settings used by Pros that require most touches from the phone app so that users will curse us constantly for doing so? 

- that sounds like a great idea, schedule to the next release!

Tourist

[ New ]

@hellt wrote:

somewhere in the Gopro war room people discussing stocks going down:

- guys, one of the problems is our touchscreen on hero9 is disgustingly bad... You see how even tech reviewers struggle to show menu interactions doing multiple cuts to get to the right menu. What can we do about it?

- lets remove the Protune settings used by Pros that require most touches from the phone app so that users will curse us constantly for doing so? 

- that sounds like a great idea, schedule to the next release!

You do realize that no one at GoPro is listening to any of these complaints on this forum? They simply do not care and this is the way it will go forward, this will not be changed.

Hiker

[ New ]
.... "Oh, but the Session doesn't even have a touchscreen"

"Mission Accomplished"
Tourist

[ New ]
It would be nice to hear something from GoPro about their plans (if any) to address this situation. I’ve been holding out hope waiting for an app update or at least the mention of one to make the settings accessible again. Without being able to see the changes/settings, my GoPro has become completely useless for its intended application. I can’t reach the back of the camera and can’t touch it once it’s in place. I know Obviously I’m not the only one. Presets will not cut it. I can’t even make presets without being able to see the effects of the settings lol. Please say something GoPro! I’m pulling for you guys, and I already have a good chunk invested in your products/ accessories. But if no fix is on the way, I Have to move on and soon!
Sightseer

[ New ]

My shoots were completely ruined today as I could not change the settings. If this isn't a bug Go pro as a company is done, im sure as hell never going to buy a go pro product again.... are you? I don't think its a bug because clearly they want you to buy the remote to increase revenue.  I paid 500 dollars for this camera and its features. The features I paid for are no longer there which makes the camera useless to me. A wise investor is going in short on the go pro stock . Looks like earnings made it take a nose dive anyway, (-20% friday) so some big funds are probably short already 

How do we get a refund for this useless paper weight?

Hiker

[ New ]

First of all, it's completely unethical to take away a feature that existed when I purchased the product. I paid for the camera AND the software for it (even if it's free, it's still a part of ecosystem, for which I pay). I would not pay $500 otherwise.

Second, it's an essential piece of software. What if I can't reach my camera to make adjustments, camera could be mounted on vehicle/boat/elsewhere. Buy remote? I don't want to charge the remote, I don't want to carry it as it takes space and weight, I don't want to carry extra wires and chargers for it.

I already have my phone, and it worked just fine.

Whoever made a decision to squeeze extra penny by doing such a disrespecful move, please reconsider. GoPro software is already loosing the competiton: no AI features, no subject tracking, no audio enhancement, and now no basic photography functions. Well done, way to go.

Tourist

[ New ]

Another request, same like many others and I did before: Please make another update for the GoPro app (mobile) to return ProTune settings because it is really important. I've bought The Remote because I thought it could control protune but it can't. I've bought brand new GoPro Hero8 and GoPro hero 9 with all the mods available and now I can't work with them. WHY? 

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for passing along this info but none of these options work if you mount the GoPro remotely.
Hiker

[ New ]

Here's a thought - instead of referring to the company as "GoPro", let's start calling them "NOPro", since there is no more Protune, and since Pros will never want to use a camera without easy access to shutter speed, etc.

Tourist

[ New ]
Well, I didn’t notice the pro tune settings were gone until I needed to adjust the EV in an unevenly lit scene. Pretty much ruined my plans. I found my older Android tablet and it has a version of the app that still has pro tune settings available, so I can make another attempt tomorrow. I hope they bring it back. Using my iPhone is preferable, than having to haul around another device just to adjust settings.
Tourist

[ New ]

I was super frustrated about this and I found a solution!

There's a 3rd party app called tools for GoPro that maintains the ProTune features.

I also made a video demonstrating how it works here. Check it out!

Tourist

[ New ]

@spirysand33450 wrote:

I was super frustrated about this and I found a solution!

There's a 3rd party app called tools for GoPro that maintains the ProTune features.

I also made a video demonstrating how it works here. Check it out!

Yes until GoPro decides to also remove this 3rd party access in the next firmware release. I expect that to happen very soon given how they are handling this matter.

Sightseer

[ New ]

What a shame that Gopro remove protune, i have the Gopro Session 4 how i do now to change settings !?

Will not buy Gopro In the future , it always asked for trouble even the app will not connect most of the time and when i finally connect there no more protune settings ? wtf

will have to download older APK and disable updates what a waste of time !

Tourist

[ New ]

I spent more than hour in freezing cold trying to figure out how to change  exposure and iso  settings when realized that someone thought we don't need that settings in app anymore. What the heck GOPRO ? I s it some kind of april joke ?  It's only february ! 
Demand an urgent update !!! 
Gonna need that functionality soon !!!
UPDATE !
SHOW US SOME LOVE !

Tourist

[ New ]

Wow. It's beyond shady to remove features without notifying users. I was testing some equipment and did a search to see what was up with Protune missing. My GoPro is currently hanging upside down, in a case, 8 feet in the air, attached to a Cardellini clamp that's attached to a sprinkler pipe. And I'm supposed to climb up there, disconnect all the cables and then remove it from the housing to change WB? What a joke.

DSC_0002.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

I totally understand your frustration - I had the exact same problem. Have you tried the Camera Tools App? They still haave the protune settings enabled. 

GoPro officially removed Protune from their app. Here's how to get those setting back!Want to learn more about how to shoot professional livestream content? ...
Tourist

[ New ]

Cosign on Camera Tools - the app is amazing.

Tourist

[ New ]

let's get it straight
- gopro removes some part of functionality  from application 

- gopro rolls out new PAID appliaction with this functionality

THAT IS SO LOW 

Tourist

[ New ]
I know I’ve said this before, but what an absolutely STUPID move to remove Protune settings from the app. They really are essential to getting good footage. Even if I could get to the actual camera to adjust them, screen control is clunky at best. The footage from my GoPro cameras has been virtually useless since they did this. Thanks for the heads up about Camera Tools app. Looks like I’ll be trying that out. Good news for Camera Tools developers...Horrible look for GoPro. As it is now, I will def not be putting any more into my GoPro rigs as I will likely be phasing them out in favor of an action cam with more practical controls. It’s been a nice run GoPro. Get your s**t together.
Sightseer

[ New ]

It's Obvious what your users want, and here it is 2 months later and you still haven't returned the functionality that we had. We shouldn't have to go to 3rd party app because of you removing features. I'll never buy another go pro product.

Sightseer

[ New ]
This decision is so stupid I can't get over it! Who at Gopro suggested to remove options was a good idea? Give us protune back!
Hiker

[ New ]

Bruh they better bring this back, whats the point of even removing it? Seems like such a backwards thing to do lol.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I spent a hour or so disconnecting and connecting my GoPro to my cam link to just ge the best setting since I can’t do it from the app what a pain. I still don’t have my ideal 100% set up for my room but man if this feature was not removed would of saved me 1hr is going back and forth and another 1hr in researching this if it was me or the equipment lol please bring this back for future users and when I do move my camera
Tourist

[ New ]

IT's crazy thses setting ase still gone. Here's how I solved it in the meantime. 

https://youtu.be/pSnDG3CzqyA

GoPro officially removed Protune from their app. Here's how to get those setting back!Want to learn more about how to shoot professional livestream content? ...
Tourist

[ New ]

Are you going to add the protune control settings back to the app? It makes it very difficult to choose to stay with GoPro with all the alternatives available... 

Hiker

[ New ]

"You can still control both Protune settings and camera beep volume directly on the camera."

No you can't. It's the worst touchscreen it's ever been my displeasure to use. Almost impossible to scroll with out selecting and changing a setting.

This along with the freezing, resetting, no connecting to the app, awful streaming quality and general unreliabiliy makes me realise what an absolute dogs dinner of a camera this is. 

Tourist

[ New ]

GOPRO!!! you need to understand, some people make a living by taking pictures with the products you make, it is imperative that you bring protune back or else will have to buy with the competition. this is not a joke, just pay attention to the numerous complaints, you need to bring iso, anv EV comp be availbale and reachable through the app, it is a waste of time, not to mention battery wise, as this makes me spend double or triple the work by not having this on my hand!!!!!!!!!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @ederh

We are continuously working on improving the experience of our users.

This has been shared with the team.

Please continue checking our website for updates.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you @aragon1006 for keeping your eye on this conversation. As you see, users are not very happy with the decision that was made in March. Looking forward for a prompt solution. Thank you.

Tourist

[ New ]

@dfuse wrote:

Thank you @aragon1006 for keeping your eye on this conversation. As you see, users are not very happy with the decision that was made in March. Looking forward for a prompt solution. Thank you.

You do realize that this is just a standard stock reply you are getting from GoPro? It's been 5 months already since this was removed so obviously it's never coming back ever.

Tourist

[ New ]
“We are continuously working on improving the experience of our users.
This has been shared with the team.
Please continue checking our website for updates.”

Can you point to one GoPro user who’s experience has been improved by removing the protune options from the app? I’ll wait
Tourist

[ New ]

You could always use Camera Tools as an alternative. It's proven to be reliable over the last several months. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, yes, you can buy a separate app. But, like I mentioned before, when I bought GoPro Max, ProTune feature of GoPro app was part of the package, I paid for it, and I need it back.

Secondly, I almost gave up and almost purchased the Remote, but I found out that it can't show preview. What's the point??? Use app to see preview and use remote for settings? That's what GoPro recommends to do as a replacement for missing feature? This is so ridiculous, I can't even find proper words.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Well this is frustrating.  I have a HERO 4 which I am learning to use.  GoPro Quick was very helpful to learn all about the options and settings.  The camera is ridiculous to control without the APP.  SO NOW I am stuck.  I have managed to turn on Protune but have no easy way to browse through the various settings to select what I want.  NOW WHAT????

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just ordered the Hero 9 and now I am regreating. I use GoPro a lot with car mount and when I need to change it I have to stop the car, change the setting on the camera and run the car again?
This is so stupid. If I would have realized before would have abondoned all my GoPro setup. It is useless without the ablity to manage the manual settings using the app.

Tourist

[ New ]
**bleep**, how is it posible that you sell a product then remove its its features?! I want my money back!!! Unusable now
Tourist

[ New ]

Instead of making nonsense appologies, tell the company we want the control of protune of our cameras back on our phone as it is the best way to do it.

Further, the suggestions listed in the link you provided are useless for most people. How many situations does one shoot in? I, for one, use numerous different settings that I need quick access to change. Making presets for every possibility is not logical, nor possible.

Go look at ALL the messages that people are saying. We want the function back. We know it's possible because it was there and it worked just fine for us.

Don't fix what isn't broken. That will only harm your business by making your customers more and more angry.

Tourist

[ New ]
Omg. I basically tossed my GoPros and moved on after 7. Among other things the protune removal and lame excuses just wore me out. So here I am resurrecting my gopro7 from the heap only to remember this blunder. Got here because I couldn’t find protune anymore, searched, got here and it’s apparent I’ll gift the gear to some unsuspecting “friend” lol
Backpacker

[ New ]

It wasn't GoPro's choice to remove the Protune settings, they had to do it by court order due to an ongoing lawsuit from a group that bought certain IP's belonging to a shutdown action camera company.

Tourist

[ New ]
Noted that, had to sell my iphone just to buy an Android and that way installed an old APK of the app and have my go pro max working 2ith that the wH I needed to. Shame On go pro!!!
Tourist

[ New ]

And GoPro have notified us if this where?

Tourist

[ New ]
Ok... and if this is the case, are they doing anything about it? Working on a replacement? They’ve been really silent about the whole thing which really annoys me as a long time user. Tell us something GoPro - please.
Tourist

[ New ]

They didn't have the decency to tell us or even leak the fact that updating will screw protune. I've looked at GoPro a couple times since this fiasco but you get overly expensive gear that you have to buy more of to have the function you had before. And not even half arsed lip service. Not a company I'm looking at much any more. Plus too many issues with gear (leaking waterproof cameras) they won't really acknowledge much or do much about. Keep the threads going so people will take notice that many are quite dissatisfied. Do not let them off the hook.

Backpacker

[ New ]

It's an ongoing court cast, GoPro aren't allowed to talk about it as per court instructions.  

For those of you who want to know the details, it can summed up like this....

GoPro had a competition from another Action camera company.

GoPro crushed the competition and the other action camera company went out of business.

The other camera company decided to sell off it's assets including it's patents.

A bunch of people got together and bought those patents under an LLC.

This LLC was formed with the specific goal of sueing GoPro for patent infringement

The patent in question revolves around adjusting camera settings (protune) via bluetooth and having a live image preview.

The LLC then took GoPro to court.

A technically inept Judge who doesn't know how electronics work and thinks that "patents" should be ill defined and include drawings of smiley faces (I kid you not) decided to grant the "Go ahead" for the court case.

This means that it could be years before the case is heard let alone resolved.

In the meantime, GoPro have been ordered to discontinue protune controls on their app (they did have to discontinue live image preview too until they sucessfully argued that this was not linked to bluetooth but WiFi).

GoPro also cannot talk about said case or discuss details about the issue as per the court case gag order.  They did release a news piece though that they were removing protune controls.

If the LLC wins this court case, everyone loses, and I mean everyone.  The LLC will prove they own the patent rights to image controlls over bluetooth and this could potentially affect every camera company out there.  DJI, Insta, Canon, ... even your drones would be subject to the ruling.  This means that the LLC could sue everyone out there to either pay them for every single device sold that uses bluetooth to adjust image controls and this will push everyones prices up.

On the other hand, if the LLC loses, GoPro also lose.  Why?  GoPro can't even counter sue for expenses as the LLC only has these patents as it's assets.  If GoPro win the case, they prove the patents are worthless and not enforcable So GoPro ends up owning some worthless patents if they bother to countersue.

So in short, a bunch of money grabbers have tried to milk GoPro (and therefore everyone else) for money with no risk to themselves and the people who suffer are those who want protune controls on their camera's app.

On the bright side, this has forced GoPro to come up with alternative methods to get around said court orders such as GoPro Labs Firmware and Open GoPro (which will allow 3rd party companies to develop apps with Protune Controls since those 3rd party companies are not being sued by this LLC).

That's the whole case in a nutshell and honestly, GoPro are as much a victim of this as you are.  They are having to provide a solution to customers while their hands are tied by a court order.  If anything, you need to be angry at the LLC who created this court case and be signing a petition to have the court case dropped.  

Please note that the above is all my personal opinion and may or may not relate the entire facts of the case in question and it's up to the reader to take away what they will from said personal opinion.  I'm posting this just in case any other POC (imho) thinks they should sue or use this information in any court case.  I am not affiliated with, paid by, or endorsed by GoPro in any way, I'm just sick of money grabbing aholes!

Tourist

[ New ]

Great explanation, thanks for taking the time. Still, leaks happen ..... all the time. We could have been warned somehow. And yes, all the money grabbing leeches should be thrown to the sharks they are. However that include most of us lol

Backpacker

[ New ]

You don't need "leaks" there's plenty of information all over the net as well as the public documented court filings as well as the patent in question.  There have also been numerous news pieces about it too.  

Currently all is quiet on that front as they are waiting on the next court date.  

Tourist

[ New ]

@demonviewllc wrote:

It's an ongoing court cast, GoPro aren't allowed to talk about it as per court instructions.  

None of what you say make any sense and your provide nothing to back up your case. If this was only about protune settings using bluetooth then they could easily switch to either wifi or other method like QR codes in the official app. Also why can you still change all other graphic settings like resolution and frame rate? That is still image controls using bluetooth.

Tourist

[ New ]

No need get upset and resort to name calling when someone doesn't agree with you. To me it's just not clear that this is in any way related to any patent dispute. It's more likely this is a business action to increase sales of remote accessories and hinder any disassembly and customization of GoPro's, especially the so called "Naked GoPro"