Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Sightseer

Protune settings removed from app

[ New ]

Why is this?

Sightseer
Sightseer

Re: Protune settings removed from app

[ New ]
I got a 4 session I can’t access pro tune at all in this new update
Sightseer

[ New ]

That's so stupid. Why would they remove it? Its so much easier to tune through the app while youre using the gopro. 

Tourist

[ New ]
This update has failed! Return Protune!
Sightseer

[ New ]

So I spoke with someone and they said they took it out and they have a few things planned out. And then I was told this was their recommendation:

If you recently opened the GoPro app hoping to change Protune settings or camera beep volume on a paired camera, you may have noticed these features are no longer available. And if you’re reading this now wondering if it is just you, it isn’t. It’s us.  

You can still control both Protune settings and camera beep volume directly on the camera. However, if accessing the back LCD display to do so is not possible in your creative workflow, here are some other methods we recommend.

1. Use Camera Presets - HERO9 Black and HERO8 Black allow users to customize up to 10 capture settings. We recommend you log your preferred Protune settings as presets. Then, use the GoPro app to easily toggle between custom presets while filming.
  2. Use one of the two GoPro smart remotes - The Remote (2020) or Smart Remote (2012) - If you have HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black and MAX, you can change capture presets using The Remote. If you have a HERO7 Black or earlier GoPro, you can use the Smart Remote to change Protune settings.
  3. Use GoPro Labs - We’ve developed a QR code method to control camera settings where all you have to do is point your camera at the QR code and it will trigger pre-determined settings. To access this, update your GoPro with GoPro Labs firmware, available here, and then create your own custom codes here.
Tourist

[ New ]
I’m a new user of the GoPro and having access to the settings in the app is invaluable, makes it very easy to change and verify things.
Removing these from the app just adds an unnecessary challenge to falling in love with the camera.

Request GoPro to bring the settings back.
Hiker

[ New ]

What's the logic here? Why would you remove ProTune settings from the app?

Are you telling me, the only way now to set white balance is to go into the screen on the actual GoPro or use QR codes with Labs?

What a strange move to make the lives of working professionals more difficult...

Many of us have to set framerates, white balance etc when using GoPros on productions, and these days, many many of us are using naked GoPros without screens.

What's the logic for this?

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is idiotic. I'm cancelling my GoPro subscription.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just spent an hour in the field trying to figure out why all of a sudden I couldn't find the settings.  My GoPro is in a housing and I don't have access to the screen to make adjustments.  This is very dissapointing.  I tweak white balance and ISO often and adjustments through the app were so easy.  Think I'll check out the Insta 360 for FPV use if this functionality doesn't come back.

Tourist

[ New ]

Is the suggestion to create a preset for every possible white balance and ISO setting I might want to use?  Please bring back the ability to adjust this in the app.

Tourist

[ New ]

Completely agree. This decision is mind numbingly stupid. What company in their right mind deliberately removes functionality from their app that people use every day? GoPro, please put this right.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same for me, cant change my gopro hero 4 session protune settings without app

Tourist

[ New ]

Seriously...Who thought this was a good idea?  This is an essential feature of the app!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Really disappointed with this new update Man Sad

Tourist

[ New ]

Expect more of this, this is just the beginning. GoPro really doesn't care about their customers.

Tourist

[ New ]
I still can’t get over the absurdity of removing this essential feature. Once my camera is mounted, there is no getting to the back of it! I’m sure this is the case with a lot of users. If this is a marketing ploy to try and get customers to buy a “smart remote”, it will not work on me. I will happily switch cameras all together before being forced into buying another accessory. This is ridiculous that I can’t change basic “pro tune” settings now and this camera just lost a lot of worth to me. If this feature doesn’t return in the next update, I will be moving on from my GoPro.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Install previous version 7.2.1 problem solved

https://mobile.softpedia.com/apk/capture/7.2.1/
Tourist

[ New ]
I was super excited to see this link until I realized it was for Android. Thank you though Megadusk! Anybody know where to find an older version of the app for iPhone?
Tourist

[ New ]
This is the dumbest thing that I could have ever imagined! I now would need to touch my camera and put it outta whack every time I wanna change E.V. or something.... Wow..... Just... Wow.
Proper HDR photos, (which is what I use it for the MOST) are now something that I just simply am not able to do....
So, just like THAT, in one fell swoop that makes NO sense to begin with, I have nearly no use for my $700 purchase.
Well done, GoPro. You did it. You made the biggest blunder in your companies history.
Sightseer

[ New ]
GoPro bring back the protune settings in the app!
Tourist

[ New ]

Until you buy a new GoPro camera which requires a newer version of the app, which requires you to uninstall and install this version everytime you want to change settings.

Tourist

[ New ]

Clearly gopro has no concept of what power users need, and having to fiddle with a remote and/or QR code to attempt to adjust things dynamically is garbage. There are so many situations where it makes sense to keep those items available within app, on top of providing other means for individuals to adjust settings.  Very dissapointed yet again by gopro logic.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes GoPro seems to be clueless when it comes to customer support. It's obvious no one actually likes this and no one wanted this. But they don't care.

Tourist

[ New ]
I recently bought my first GoPro (hero 9) and then got a protective case. The touch screen on the hero 9 already has terrible responsiveness, but due to my setup it is also more difficult to access now. I thought I had found the solution to my troubles when I saw that I could change settings in the app, but quickly realized there is no protune. I got really pissed when I realized they took it out recently to sell remotes. That's absolutely dishonest, and it has caused me to regret my purchase. If you're going to sell a flagship action camera with a barely functioning touchscreen, the least you can provide full camera control from the app. I'm dumbfounded. I won't by buying GoPro again, let alone the remote you're trying to hard to force people to buy. Any alternatives to GoPro? I'm looking to return mine.
Tourist

[ New ]
As an FYI if you’re also trying to use this via HDMI out the remote will not let you adjust protune either. So basically there is no easy way to adjust settings on the fly when trying to use this as a webcam/streamer without unplugging touching camera putting back in place and testing until you are happy. Count 2021 as the year GoPro becomes obsolete from my kit and likely many others. Even when playing catch up to try to stay afloat and having a great moment of captivity of an audience needing their devices they have found a way to blunder and disenfranchise users by selling solutions that are not throughly thought through before being pushed on end users.
Tourist

[ New ]

I have a Hero5 Sessions.  Protune is turned on but I dont like the settings.  Looks like I am stuck with these crappy settings.  Why would GoPro remove the feature to adjust this through the iphone?  I can still asjust all the other settings but not Protune and Beep volume (which also sucks because I film hunting trips where we need to be super quiet.)  I cannot access any Protune menus on the tiny Sessions camera.

I am speaking with GoPro customer service through Live Chat, she says there are other third party apps that will allow you to change the protune settings like VSDC Video Editor.  But she cant tell me how because its not their software.  I call BS on a video editor changing camera settings.  Anyone know of other software for my iphone that can adjust the ProTune settings?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @biggydust

Sorry for any trouble caused.

The agent most likely suggested an app for post-process editing and not to control/change the settings of the camera.

Check out https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-app-protune-feature-updates for recommended tips and tricks. We are also continuing to develop new features and ways of accessing existing camera settings to be most useful to GoPro users.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Is that a joke?

"Continuing to develop new ways of accessing existing camera settings to be most useful to GoPro users"

You may be delveloping new ways but you're also removing the most useful ways people are already using your products today. This is complete madness!

Tourist

[ New ]
New ways are great but removing functionality is just silly. I provided a clear example where your “new” ways do not solve this issue created by the removal. QR code’s while nice is not ideal during webcam / live streaming setups and the remote does not adjust protune settings during hdmi connections nor can you easily toggle saved profiles during a live feed which you could with the app....
Invest more time in QA and less time putting out beta labs features hoping something sticks to the wall. Erosion of a customer base starts with effecting power users. Some shiney new bells and whistles may grab you some market too but as they users figure out what they need and want they will jump ship finding it’s missing...
Tourist

[ New ]

@deftblaze03272 wrote:

Is that a joke?

"Continuing to develop new ways of accessing existing camera settings to be most useful to GoPro users"

You may be delveloping new ways but you're also removing the most useful ways people are already using your products today. This is complete madness!

Yes this is madness but this is obviously the way things are going to be in the future and the customers have no say.

Tourist

[ New ]
I read today on DPpreview forums this. I don’t know how true it is:

“Its called they lost their a patent court case to a camera company called Contour. Rather than pay royalties, its easier to simply change the method.”

Tourist

[ New ]

I use(d) Protune constantly for my night lapse photography.  Now I have to view the screen each time I make an adjustment seems ludicrous.  Please bring back this functionality!

Hiker

[ New ]

Seems like they don't want to tell us the truth for some reason.  It appears as though they lost a lawsuit and cannot actually legally give us protune anymore:

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/contour-ip-holding-llc-v-gopro-inc-70318/

Not sure why they decided to make it sound like something they wanted to do on purpose, it juts makes them look like they think we are stupid.

GoPro, we recgonize a BS explanation when we see one - we're not stupid.  Please treat us with more respect. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hopefully GoPro is able to figure out the licensing with Contour. Since Contour is only a holding company at the moment, guessing they are just waiting for the right price from GoPo

Not having Protune settings is a big imprediment.

Hiker

[ New ]

It's nto actually Contour - they are out of business, but they sold their Patents to another company. 

That being said, it's not as easy as you might think, especially after the past litigation.  Assuming both parties are actually interested in pursuing a licensing deal, it ends up being a big game of chicken.  if the seller is asking too much, GoPro will decide to just move on without Protune (which seems to be their position currently).   If GoPro wants it badly enough, it's a license for the seller to essentially extort them (this is what patent trolling is). 

So, the buyer's best position is to assume they don't need the IP, carry on as usual, and wait for the patent owner to figure they won't get anything at all for the IP, and give it up for cheap.... and many tiomes it never happens at all.  

Hiker

[ New ]

as far as i've read, the lawsuit was on the idea streaming from a camera , while remotecontrolling it, based on bluetooth and GPS data.

If that is really true, it makes no sense only disabling the protune-settings.

In that case, they had to disable all remote functionality, not only pt

There is no known issue about specific parts of remoting.

However, if this is true , it sounds so typical for the u.s .... it is now more then urgent to start all over totally from scratch.

Or maybe someone here only spreaded semi-fake-news , to cover the truth on behalf of the company. Would'nt be the first time.

Anyway ... all gopro products are out of our business since nearly a year now... and that will not change in foreseeable time

Tourist

[ New ]

I have 3 GoPro cameras. In the near future I will replace them with other action cameras. The reasons are simple - greed. Any company should make money for the happiness of people. Every time I buy a new camera, I become unhappy. For example, all my life I've been shooting in superview mode. Now this mode is not present in GoPro 9. I need to buy a lens that makes this camera better. I have to earn more. Now the protune mode has been removed and I cannot make more professional camera settings. Also, for professionals in the GoPro 6 camera in firmware higher than 1.6, the recording of information about the accelerometer was removed, which worsened post-processing in the RealSteady Go program. This prevents the development of third-party ambitious projects. In general, there is such a saying in Russia. Once such a booze has started, I go to get another camera.

Sorry, Translated by Google.

У меня 3 камеры ГоПро. В ближайшее время я из заменю на другие экшн камеры. Причины простые - алчность. Любая компания должна зарабатывать деньги на счастье людей. Каждый раз покупая новую камеру я становлюсь несчастным. Например я всю жизнь снимал в режиме супервью. Теперь этого режима нет в ГоПро 9 . Надо докупить линзу, которая делает эту камеру лучше. Я вынужден зарабатывать больше. Теперь убрали режим протюн и я не могу сделать более профессиональные настройки камеры. Также для профессионалов в камере GoPro 6 в прошивках выше 1.6 убрали запись информации об акселерометре, что ухудшило постобработку в программе РеалСтеады Го. Что мешает развивать сторонние амбициозные проекты. В общем в России есть такая поговорка. Раз пошла такая пьянка, я ухожу к другой камере. Простите, Перевел Гугл.

Tourist

[ New ]
I don't know what kinda shady stuff GP have going on, but I uninstalled the new version, installed the apk of the older version posted earlier and it worked. So I paired all 5 of my gopros and everything worked swimmingly. The next morning I realize it auto updated overnight even though I have auto update OFF. So I do everything over again, making double sure auto update is off.

This morning I wake up and it updated itself again. I am super POed. Guess I can't use my GP's so pretty useless to have a GP subscription now.
Tourist

[ New ]

I currently use my GoPro as a webcam for work and other stuff. 

When they updated the app, I lost all my settings on the camera for some reason.

So I had to remove everything on my desk, drag my screen out, unplug the camera, remove it from the housing, charge the battery (I only use USB-power for the webcam-mode), apply new settings with ProTune on the display on the back of the camera.

I removed the battery again, put the camera back in its place, connected everything, turned the camera back on.

Settings have ben resetted to default.

This camera is as useful as a stone brick.

Hiker

[ New ]

The worst thing is that the App update details only mention "Fixed issue with media stored on icloud" - they don't mention anything about removing Protune or anything.

To me, that is blatant misrepresentation to trick people into downloading the app.

Shameful.

Sightseer

[ New ]

How about Hero4 Session? It can't be set on camera directly. For now, I reverted to 7.3.1.
What other features you would remove for my other camera - Hero9? Hypersmooth?

Tourist

[ New ]

Dear GoPro...

Please return the ProTune settings to the app or bring back the previous app so we (professionals) can use it. I've invested a lot of money last year buying a brand-new Hero 7 Black, Hero 8 black with Media Mod, Light Mod and Display Mod and even the Hero 9 Black with Media Mod and a few housings. I'm using all this gear to do live streaming together with a professional Panasonic camera and the setting changes many times. Even when we start streaming during daylight times and it gets darker and we change lights I have to change my ProTune settings which isn't possible to do it when my GoPro's are connected to my Video Switcher and mounted in positions where you even can't unplug it and do it manually at the menu. With using your (previous) perfect app it was all possible using my iPhone; changing all the ProTune: ISO / Shutter / FPS / White Balance. All of these settings I (and so many other pro-users) are removed. So.. please make the previous app available or build back better. Bring back ProTune. Thanks in advance. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

please add protune back in the next update

Tourist

[ New ]

I use Hero 7 Blacks attached to the side of moving vehicles, and rely on remote control from the driver/passenger seat. Removal of ProTune from the app is the latest in GoPro's recent run of tonedeaf changes. Try pointing a QR Code at a camera attached to the side of a van that's travelling at 100km/h. I'm also not going to be installing beta firmware in mission-critical cameras just so I can do beta testing on GoPro's behalf.

The solutions I have found so far include:

• Android: sideloading an APK of the GoPro app - needs to be version 7.3.1 or earlier. Can be found on Softpedia and other APK archive sites.
  • iOS: don't upgrade from 7.3.0 if you can help it; otherwise third party apps Multi Camera Control for GoPro and BLE Remote for GoPro (but you lose live view).

GoPro has been very cryptic about the reasons for this feature removal. One can only speculate that it's related to their dire financial situation + legal tangles with Contour IP Holding. Avoid paying the licensing for Contour, whilst pushing for more sales through obsolescence - genius!

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is total bull**bleep** and you know it!!!!  Return the app funtionality or you're going to loose SO MANY users.  

Tourist

[ New ]

So the response from GoPro was "I talked to a guy and it was removed"

It's either a lie or bad information. 

Things aren't just "removed" for no reason. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@kellylaundromat wrote:

I use Hero 7 Blacks attached t

GoPro has been very cryptic about the reasons for this feature removal. One can only speculate that it's related to their dire financial situation + legal tangles with Contour IP Holding. Avoid paying the licensing for Contour, whilst pushing for more sales through obsolescence - genius!

No I think the reason for the removal is that drone users where buying GoPro cameras and taking them apart to remove the screen to make them more light and this way you can only change settings with the app. So GoPro response seems to be that instead of creating a camera with that form factor instead they are trying to discourage/punish those people. GoPro marketing team seems to be just completely clueless on how to treat their customers.

Tourist

[ New ]

Please bring back the Protunes settings in the app. I will not give gopro anymore business and will not renew the gopro cloud until this is fixed.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Bring back ProTune, or I'll be switching to another action camera. I'm sure there are plenty of customers who will do the same.

Tourist

[ New ]

I've got a video streaming project in three days, and have been struggling to figure out where the Protune settings went in the app. This is disgusting. I can't work with the pro gear we've rented unless I can tune the GoPro from the app.

Please give us a solution to this, GoPro.