Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Problem with video quality after exporting from app

[ New ]

When I create a video montage in the GoPro mobile app (Android), the output quality when I view the video within the app looks good.

However, as soon as I export the video to another app or download to phone or cloud storage, when I view the video from that location or on another device, there appears to be a loss in quality, blurred image etc.

I am recording in 2.7k 60FPS from my Hero8 Black, and understand that the app saves at 1080p, but I wouldn't expect the video quality to deteriorate the way it appears to.

The same has happened when I've exported an original 15 second clip to Instagram without editing.

I have checked I am using the latest version of the app and my firmware is up to date as well. Not sure what I'm doing wrong so any help would be welcomed! 

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Problem with video quality after exporting from app

[ New ]
News:
On upcoming update 7.2 GoPro App Android, bitrate will be increased. Export resolution is still 1080p but bitrate will be higher! :)

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

It's possible you're seeing the low-resolution version of the video (LRV). When you render, be sure that the original high-res files are on the phone for the render to use as its source files.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm fairly sure I'm using the hi-res versions for the render, as the videos I select are the same as the ones that are downloaded automatically from my GoPro within the app.

If I'm using he hi-res versions for the render I don't see why this should affect the quality when the rendered video is viewed from a different device or exported to an external platform.

How do I check if I am using the lo-res vs hi-res originals?

Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

Currently here's what you have when you export a multi-clip edit:
- On Android it's 1080p/60fps in output.
- On iOS we take the resolution of the most media in your Story (so if you have a majority of 4K media, output will be 4K)
iOS is technically more performant. The encoder performance and quality provided by the Android devices isn't as good so you won't have the same results on Android.

There is plan in the roadmap to improve this. Sorry for the frustration.
Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the feedback.

Are there any plans to develop the features available within the mobile app (such as multi-clip edit) into a Windows desktop version?

GoPro

[ New ]
News:
On upcoming update 7.2 GoPro App Android, bitrate will be increased. Export resolution is still 1080p but bitrate will be higher! :)
Hiker

[ New ]

That's good to hear!

Any plans to develop a Windows dektop version of the app?