Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Sightseer

Problem after problem with GoPro 7 software

[ New ]

Seeing how generally unhelpful the GoPro OS is when trying to do anything from a mobile device and the gopro "support" page is full of "gopro update failed" posts... I'm really wondering if GoPros are worth the huge price tag.

Having a good camera is one thing but if the software cannot perform a simple operation such as a firmware update over a network then it's really a waste of money (phones, mobile apps, even TVs do this all the time). Sure I can move the footage to my PC but then there's no GoPro branded Studio like there used to be so what's the benefit of buying the hardware? Just get a Sony, Garmin, Olympus, TomTom... and save some money.

Persistent, repetitive failures include:

• Attemping to connect (it never connects) despite saying that it's already connected
    • If I hit Cancel it might miraculously connect
  • Cannot view media on the phone (it's "connected")
  • Update failed
  • "We had trouble connecting with your GoPro." (it's connected, i'm trying to View Media)
  • "get help from support" redirects to the support hub.... a graveyard of depressing posts about how GoPros fail at such simple tasks. 
  • You must restart your device... (where's the restart button? do i just turn it off and back on? there's a reset button, let's click that... oh s#!t)

Gotta say, I'm definitely not "Stoked" with this experience. 

Phone: Google Pixel 3 XL

GoPro 7 - update failed

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Problem after problem with GoPro 7 software

[ New ]

Hi,

Sorry about that.

For the camera update, you could follow the steps here and update manually.

For connection issues, it’s best to reset everything because it could be a problem with the phone itself, the app, or the camera.

1/ the phone:

- Restart the phone

- After phone is back on turn off/on wifi and bluetooth 

- Remove any GoPro connection from the wifi settings menu

- Remove/unpair any GoPro connection from the bluetooth menu

2/ the app:

- Delete the camera from the camera chooser inside the app (long press on camera image)

- Clear cache from the app: go to settings - apps - GoPro - clear cache

- Kill the app and relaunch

3/ the camera:

- Turn wifi off and on

- Turn camera off and on

Now for pairing the camera to the app:

- Put camera in pairing mode, turn wifi connection on or wireless connections on

- Open app and tap the camera icon

- At this point the app will try to connect over bluetooth and take you through the pairing process, follow all the instructions on screen in app

- Some phones and some regions require that the camera be in a 2.4GHz wifi band so you may want to check that as well. This has to be changed on the camera > Preferences / Connections / Bandwidth

- Once you are paired just make sure for future reconnections that the wifi is on in the camera and you’ll be all set

Hope it helps a bit...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Problem after problem with GoPro 7 software

[ New ]

Hi,

Sorry about that.

For the camera update, you could follow the steps here and update manually.

For connection issues, it’s best to reset everything because it could be a problem with the phone itself, the app, or the camera.

1/ the phone:

- Restart the phone

- After phone is back on turn off/on wifi and bluetooth 

- Remove any GoPro connection from the wifi settings menu

- Remove/unpair any GoPro connection from the bluetooth menu

2/ the app:

- Delete the camera from the camera chooser inside the app (long press on camera image)

- Clear cache from the app: go to settings - apps - GoPro - clear cache

- Kill the app and relaunch

3/ the camera:

- Turn wifi off and on

- Turn camera off and on

Now for pairing the camera to the app:

- Put camera in pairing mode, turn wifi connection on or wireless connections on

- Open app and tap the camera icon

- At this point the app will try to connect over bluetooth and take you through the pairing process, follow all the instructions on screen in app

- Some phones and some regions require that the camera be in a 2.4GHz wifi band so you may want to check that as well. This has to be changed on the camera > Preferences / Connections / Bandwidth

- Once you are paired just make sure for future reconnections that the wifi is on in the camera and you’ll be all set

Hope it helps a bit...