Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Please add "Storage Selection" on Android

[ Edited ]

@robnfl2000 wrote:

@grandridge40764 wrote:
I have an Android (Samsung Galaxy S9)
Here's what I found to resolve this as desired!
Open Settings
Then (you need to click 7 times on) About Phone
That enables Developer Mode
Open Developer Mode, scroll down to the end.
Click on Force allow apps on external.
See that it is enabled with the slide to the right side!
This allowed me to do the following.
Open Settings> Apps Click on GoPro.
Click Storage, click Change, NOW it presents the option to make the storage location the SD card, which means moving the App and files to the SD!
REALLY WORKED FINE FOR ME, SO PLEASE TRY IT!
John

Voila! Yup, this worked perfectly, thanks John.

This workaround really works! Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

That fix absolutely does NOT WORK for devices that only use vfat storage.

https://m.imgur.com/IRb5dsi?r
https://i.imgur.com/6VFxaRF.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

@delestro wrote:

@robnfl2000 wrote:

@grandridge40764 wrote:
I have an Android (Samsung Galaxy S9)
Here's what I found to resolve this as desired!
Open Settings
Then (you need to click 7 times on) About Phone
That enables Developer Mode
Open Developer Mode, scroll down to the end.
Click on Force allow apps on external.
See that it is enabled with the slide to the right side!
This allowed me to do the following.
Open Settings> Apps Click on GoPro.
Click Storage, click Change, NOW it presents the option to make the storage location the SD card, which means moving the App and files to the SD!
REALLY WORKED FINE FOR ME, SO PLEASE TRY IT!
John

Voila! Yup, this worked perfectly, thanks John.

This workaround really works! Thanks!

That fix absolutely does NOT WORK for devices that only use vfat storage.

https://i.imgur.com/6VFxaRF.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

@lilraccoon, this information has already been shared to the team and we currently do not have any further update.

While GoPro will be installed and will save the contents to the mobile device's internal storage by default, as a workaround, GoPro media files that were downloaded using the GoPro App can be moved out of the internal storage to an SD card on your Android mobile device. You can find more information about this process in this article for your reference.

Your time and patience are very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Ann

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@aenriquez wrote:

@lilraccoon, this information has already been shared to the team and we currently do not have any further update.

While GoPro will be installed and will save the contents to the mobile device's internal storage by default, as a workaround, GoPro media files that were downloaded using the GoPro App can be moved out of the internal storage to an SD card on your Android mobile device. You can find more information about this process in this article for your reference.

Your time and patience are very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Ann

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the kind reply but it does not help me at all. Storing even one 4GB file let alone many is not feasible on my internal storage. So downloading using the GoPro app to my internal storage first and moving to external is not a viable workaround.

Also, "devs already know," does not help me and hasn't for at least a year or more. So I'll keep on pestering you until someone does something to fix the situation.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

For those who think the solution by changing your settings works... did you try syncing new footage from the GoPro? I found even after Android moves the App onto SD and all settings point to SD (giving you the false illusion it has worked), newly synced footage continues to be saved to Internal Storage. It's a bug.

Highlighted
Tourist

@aenriquez, seconding what@lilraccoon said, that's far from an acceptable workaround. The space would need to be available in the first instance and that's exactly the issue. Files can't be synced at all rendering the apps virtually useless. 4K files are enormous and phones have very limited internal storage. It's a deal breaker for the app & this needs to be made a priority for the dev team rather then sitting in a feature request queue for another 12 months. This is a bug, not a feature.

Highlighted
Tourist

I just noticed that the workaround, in fact, doesn't work.

The GoPro app can be transferred to the SD, but then it fails to import new footage. The Quick app also doesn't work, as it can perform the video editing on the SD card, but fails to export the final render.

So now my idea is to use this "android developer trick" to move my other apps to the SD card, leaving space on the internal storage for the GoPro app. Quite annoying, as I don't see what is the technical issue with this, it really seems that the app is hardwired to block the use of external storage.