Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Anonymous

Please add "Storage Selection" on Android

[ New ]
Dear GoPro Team,

My Phone has 500 MB internal Storage left. I have 52 GB of free space on my SD Card. Especially now, with the awesome new Quik Stories function that downloads footage automatically, choosing to save to internal storage or SD card would be perfect.

A small function to implement that would make many users very happy!

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous

Re: Please add "Storage Selection" on Android

[ New ]

Found a fix!

Go to Settings > Memory and Storage > Default location and set it to SD Card.

The GoPro App will now download any captured footage to the SD Card.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Anonymous

[ New ]

Found a fix!

Go to Settings > Memory and Storage > Default location and set it to SD Card.

The GoPro App will now download any captured footage to the SD Card.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Good idea but i cant set deafult location or move app to sd card on my Lenovo Vibe Shot.
It would be nice have that option in the APP. Just like spotify have for example.

Iam goint on vacation, two weeks out of internet or PC. So i have to use my phone as storrage, but it is stupid use my 12Gb internal and then move to 64Gb external.

Thank you for future solution :).

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

The QuikKey may be able to help you move content off of your phone onto your SD card. https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/quik-key-iphoneipad-mobile-microsd-card-reader/AMCRL-001.html

Anonymous

[ New ]
I still prefer have that option in app but this reader should be probably Faster then WiFi transfer. Thank you for your answer.
But I still hope for app update. :)
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi,

I have the same problem not having enough main memory in my mobile but enough on the SD card. I checked your solution but in my settings of the GoPro app there is no feature to change storage location. The version I am using is the german version 4.1 from September 26th 2017.

Is there another solution for my version?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Jürgen Meven

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey @Anonymous I'm having the same issue. Did you figure out a way for the GoPro App to see videos that are on you SD card?

I have a Sony with an external SD Card where all my Pics and Vidz are stored. The GoPro app doesn't see this Media. Can anyone give me advice on how I can't point it towards my internal SD card?

Thanks in advance,

Troy

Anonymous

[ New ]
There is only one solution. They need to update this app but they probably dont give a f*** :)
Anonymous

[ New ]
There flogging GoPro plus ie paid for storage in the cloud why would they bother allowing access to your sd card? Don't know what android phone gives the option indicated by Royalbluff4772 hiker but mine don't.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I can see you dont probably understand whole thing. We are customers that is why they should care!!! I cant use cloud when iam in land without internet connection. I just want to transfer all videos to my phone.. But you cant when you have only 12gb internal and cant move to your free 64gb external. You are just that person who actually write before think. Says " iam fine mine is working" but we have a problem a thats the reason why Gopro Support hub exist. :)

Anonymous

[ New ]
Disregarding your demeaning tone I do understand I have the exact same problem. And yes I do think it's an app problem as others give the choice of whether to install and or store to sd card so it's up to GoPro to sort it. I just gave an indication as to why they may not be so inclined. Comprendez. .
Anonymous

[ New ]

Having GoPro Plus makes no difference as when you want to edit footage you need to download it to your device first and many phones don't have the storage capacity to do this hence why they come with SD slots to hold extra stuff like photos and videos.

The only work around I have found is a costly one which is have a dedicated device for managing and editing your videos. Very frustrating as GoPro's entire business plan is not just shooting footage but helping users post/share it.

GOPRO I KNOW YOU'RE BUSY WITH FUSION BUT CAN YOU PLEASE GET AN INTERN OR SOMEONE TO SORT THIS OUT!!?!?!

Anonymous

[ New ]
Good point and Quik is on internal memory too. I'm on holiday and wish I'd brought my laptop. Does the desktop version solve the problem? I signed up for Plus just to get my videos home.
Anonymous

[ New ]
This thread has been tagged as Solved! I don't think GoPro support are looking at this.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Nope the don't... 

Anonymous

[ New ]
this is not an option, buying new stuff to access built in functionnality. Android is not IOS . Just ask your devs to add that like others do.
Tourist

[ New ]

This is not solved.

You should be able to choose location for more than people who have a micro SD card. I want to OTG attach an HDD, move videos to it, then continue recording.

Tourist

[ New ]
Problem here is for those that it isn't an easy task to unmount to get card, transfer, put back. continue recording. I am hoping to OTG connect phone to HDD, transfer, continue.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @msterscott

This would be a cool feature. At this time though, the closest  functionality that is available is to use the Quik Key, which will allow transfer of files from the camera's SD card to a compatible mobile device. This still involves unmounting the SD card from the camera though.and would save the GoPro files through the GoPro App. You can submit a feedback or recommendation to the team here: https://gopro.com/feedback

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]
Understand. However my issue is that the cameras are remote, so, to go to them between games, get each card, download, and return isn't easy. Sure it's doable, and right now I just swap out cards. Looking for a more useful method, which, doesn't currently exist.

What I have found is that I can download via phone to internal memory, then use file manager to move to HDD. Not perfect but much better than trying to get cards between games.
GoPro

[ New ]

That actually seems more convenient, @msterscott. Another method I can think of is to do the Auto Upload to cloud, but this applies only if you have a GoPro Plus subscription, and that the cameras are connected to a power source and a home Wi-Fi network. This gets rid of having to remove the SD card from the camera, and automatically uploads GoPro media to the cloud that you can access using a computer or your mobile phone at a later time or when you need to. Should you be interested, you can click on the link for more information. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes, thanks, but they aren't connected to a home network, and a lot of times the only Wi-Fi that I have available would be my phone's hotspot and it's not always going to be capable. Also, I had the cloud but if I'm not mistaken it does not upload videos at the highest resolution. I am perhaps mistaken, but really a no-go considering I don't always have Wi-Fi.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Is that in the Go Pro App? I am in settings and do not have an option for Memory and Storage
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @willb6541

This option is found on your phone's settings.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Same problem. Just bought a hero7 black and now im dealing with tis crap?
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem. Gopro just doesn't care about its customers anymore. 

Tourist

[ New ]

still not working  on my Galaxy S7

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @zbysior and @fastsurf8402

We have passed the suggestion to the team. At this time, we do not have an update or any information yet. We will definitely keep you posted once the feature becomes available. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]
I have an Android (Samsung Galaxy S9)
Here's what I found to resolve this as desired!
Open Settings
Then (you need to click 7 times on) About Phone
That enables Developer Mode
Open Developer Mode, scroll down to the end.
Click on Force allow apps on external.
See that it is enabled with the slide to the right side!
This allowed me to do the following.
Open Settings> Apps Click on GoPro.
Click Storage, click Change, NOW it presents the option to make the storage location the SD card, which means moving the App and files to the SD!
REALLY WORKED FINE FOR ME, SO PLEASE TRY IT!
John
Sightseer

[ New ]
Yup a good tip and it works..... Cool.
Thank you Mr. John
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the tip John. I followed these steps exactly on my Samsung Galaxy S7 and thought it would do the trick. However, I took a short video on the GoPro and then synced with the GoPro app. It appears that despite me selecting "External Storage" in the app settings, when I inspect the file system before and after syncing, it is still copying onto the Internal Storage, not the external SD card.

A screenshot is attached - the top part is from before the sync, the bottom part is from after the sync. Notice the difference in the internal storage & no change to external storage.

Is there anything else that needs to be done to force the app to automatically save onto the external storage, not internal?

Tourist

[ New ]

Screenshot_20181216-093655.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Screenshot of app settings:

Screenshot_20181216-094514.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]
You can check in the GoPro App settings for an option to save to SD, I don't recall if there is one. You can also set the default storage location for any saved storage to be the SD card by default, that should do it. Let us know if either helps you out?
Tourist

[ New ]
You can check in the GoPro "Camera settings" not the App... for an option to save to SD, I don't recall if there is one. You can also set the default storage location for any saved storage to be the SD card by default, that should do it. Let us know if either helps you out?
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi John, thanks for your reply. I'm using a GoPro Hero7 Black. On this camera there are no options in the camera preferences regarding storage location. 

The second solution you've mentioned: "set the default storage location for any saved storage to be the SD card by default" - is this what I have already done in the OS Settings (screenshot attached earlier, after enabling Developer Options, I went to Settings -> Apps -> GoPro -> Storage, then in that screen it now states "Storage used: External storage". Despite this setting being set to SD Card, the app is still saving to internal storage. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Perhaps GoPro Updates are changing the setting back. I checked mine and found it set back to Internal (under Apps>GoPro>Storage, I just changed it back to External now. I verified it shows External, I powered my device off then on again and it is still set External.
I'm going to test it with my GoPro today again.
I know there are other storage settings, one is when in Google Chrome> top/right menu>Settings, Storage (shpuld be for Downloads though) Another is under Camera>... look unders Settings for Storage of photos and videos, I'm not sure either will affect GoPro.
Please check that your GoPro Storage settings still are set to External?
Tourist

[ New ]
I tried making additional changes and finding solutions. The App is showing Storage on the SD card, but I agree, it is not actually doing it. I found another App that works with most GoPros, I have an email to the developer to ensure it works to save to the SD card (automatically) not need to select it each time. I think it is .99 cost. I'll see what they say, maybe use that until I can find the option to fix this or GoPro does.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the constant update, @grandridge40764. We have this reported to the team. We will keep this thread updated when we receive a feedback. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks John for looking further into this. I found the same as you - despite it definitely being set to "External" in the App Settings (for both the GoPro and Quik apps), it's still syncing onto the internal storage. Also when saving files to 'Local' or exporting from Quik, they are also only going into the internal storage in the DCIM GoPro sub-folder.

Tourist

[ New ]

Latest GoPro app, I still don't have ANY Memory option WHATSOEVER in the Settings menu of the GoPro app. What gives?!

Tourist

[ New ]

This is not solved.

I'm still having this issue on the latest GoPro app. "Settings" Menu (in the hamburger menu on the side?) It has NO options for memory whatsoever. 

Screenshot_2019-01-07-09-50-26.png

Screenshot_2019-01-07-09-50-29.png

Tourist

This is a BREAKING ISSUE. Missing feature = no use for app.

[ New ]

This is a BREAKING OMISSION

Not having this feature means I flat out can't use the GoPro App. I can't download anything at all. This is a REQUIRED FEATURE.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just bought a 128 GB SD card for the single sole purpose of being able to edit my daily GoPro HD footage in Quik without having to worry about topping my phone's very limited internal memory.

To my pleasant surprise, this can't be done.

Please wake me up when this is solved!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @cone911,

We already forwarded this to the team handling this. 

We'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

@jayr3438 wrote:

Hi @cone911,

We already forwarded this to the team handling this. 

We'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

-Jay 

What's the blocker here? If this thread is marked "fixed" why was it marked fixed?

Tourist

[ New ]

@grandridge40764 wrote:
Open Settings
Click Storage, click Change, NOW it presents the option to make the storage location the SD card, which means moving the App and files to the SD!
John

Voila! Yup, this worked perfectly, thanks John.

Tourist

[ New ]

@robnfl2000 wrote:

@grandridge40764 wrote:
Open Settings
John

Yeah this fix doesn't work for me as my SD is only allowed to run as portable storage on my phone. The option for using the SD card as app storage isn't available and if I format it manually using ADB it doesn't work.

Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry, I should have added that I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8 with android 8.0.0.

@lilraccoon wrote:

@robnfl2000 wrote:

@grandridge40764 wrote:
Open Settings
John

Yeah this fix doesn't work for me as my SD is only allowed to run as portable storage on my phone. The option for using the SD card as app storage isn't available and if I format it manually using ADB it doesn't work.

Tourist

[ New ]

I understand. That still means the GoPro app is BROKEN out of the box.

The app as it stands is basically useless. It can't be used if I can't download anything to my phone.

Dev team: Please add a storage option to the app itself. I see none at all! Allow SD card storage on SD cards formatted as portable storage! You allow the GoPro itself to use VFAT! Why not the phone?!?!?!?!?!