Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Phone app doesn’t work + GPS no signal at all anywhere!!!

Hi,

I have two major issues with my GoPro Hero5

1) the phone app suddenly stopped working - the camera wifi connects fine however my phone no lknger finds the camera in the bluetooth device! Before reinstalling the app i was able to connect and preview live footage only however I was not able to control anything nor load tye media (buttons were greyed out)! After reinstalling the app I can’t even connect the camera to the app any more - it says switch on the bluetooth to continiue but after doing so nothing happens :(

2) my GPS stopped working couple of months ago and I can no longer get any signal!

I am using the latest firmware and app version - resetted back to factory settings and reinstalled the app - nothing helps!!

Anyone else had similar issues before?

Many thanks

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Phone app doesn’t work + GPS no signal at all anywhere!!!

Hi @sz00

Once you extract the zipped folder, another window will appear which opens up the extracted folder containing the update files. You may click the back button to get to the folder. Drag/copy the folder to the root of the SD card.

Another work around is to manually create an UPDATE folder on the root of the SD card. Drag/copy all 3 files from the extracted folder.

Insert the SD card back to the camera.  This should initiate the update by then.

If it's still the same, it will be best to work with our Support Team. Reach out to them via phone or chat. Please take note of their operating hours listed here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @sz00

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with the use of the camera. Even if the camera is already with the latest firmware, try doing a manual update for its firmware. This is to clear out any possible error that exists with the current installation. You can find instructions under "Manual Update" in this article

After the manual update, test connectivity with GoPro App again. Check the steps to fix here for additional troubleshooting. also test if GPS will already be up. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Latest update installed manually, no change - exactly the same issues - I have already tried all steps on the second link bit none of these helped the situation

At the moment it just gets to the point where I select the camera to be added on the app and it asks to switch on the bluetooth but absolutely nothing happens after- it just stays on that screen.

I have also tried another phone and it is clear that the issue is with the GoPro as the issue was present on the second phone as well

What should I do next?
Highlighted
Tourist

Could anyone please help resolving the issue? It is very frustrating that I cannot use the full functionality of my gopro :(
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @sz00

Thank you for trying the manual software update.

Regarding the GoPro app connection, have you tried deleting your camera name from the app?

Also, in most pairing issues, forgetting the Wi-Fi name and Bluetooth ID sorts out the issue. Kindly see if this works on your end.

Should it still be the same, let our Support Team help you further. They are available via phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes, i have tried all of that.

The trouble is that now it wouldn’t connect via the bluetooth, the phone no longer finds the camera in the bluetooth devices.

I had a chat to one of your collegues earlier today and he asked me to perform a manual update (which I have already done via Quik) BUT your website page (manual gopro update) does NOT work!

When I put my serial number and email and click next nothing happens and before you ask - yes I have tried different browsers and two different PCs - your website does not work!

What should I do? I am pretty sure that it is a hardware problem and not software but open to suggestions althought I am certain I’ve tried everything possible. It is very very very annoying to pay large amount of money and only a year later the camera fails - hugely disappointed :(
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @sz00

Thank you for going through the manual update steps, even trying different browsers. Let us try this: 

1. Visit the HERO5 Black update page
  2. Then select "Update your camera manually" under "Other ways to update"
  3. Then enter your camera's serial number (should start with C316...), followed with the email address associated with your GoPro account
  4. Check appropriate boxes, then click on Next Step
  5. Then follow on-screen instructions. 

If this would still not work, you can send me a message with the serial number of your camera and I will try it on my end. Hope to hear back from you. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

It web page does not work.

Here is the serial number: C3*************4

What’s the point of updating this manually when already updated via Quik to the latest firmware/software???