Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Partial video download from cloud to mobile app

[ New ]

Hello,

I cannot download a 360 (gopro max) video from the cloud to mobile quik app ios.  In total its a 11 minute video, but it appears it is broken up into 2 chapters; first ~8 minutes and last ~3 minutes.  When I try downloading from the cloud to the ios mobile app (not saved to phone but to the app) it only downloads the ~3 minute one. I will say I have had success with smaller "original" 360 vidoes (~3 minutes duration).

Let me preface. I don't want a work around.  I want to be able to download from the cloud to the ios mobile app so I can edit the video.

I will also add that I have tried other approaches with no luck.  I am disapointed in all variations of this gopro software; ios, windows desktop, and andriod.  I have looked through countless questions on this support site with this same type of question.  I cannot add to those forums, they are blocked for additional replys.  The questions are dicussed but the users never publicly say they got it working.  It is frusturating because I have to take the time to write out basically the same question that everyone else has already asked for a few years now. 

Approaches I have tried that do not work (when trying to edit this 360 video footage):

1. windows desktop approach:
    • I can download the complete ~11 minute 360 video to my computer.  Then I have to use "gopro player" to edit the 360 footage because the desktop version of "quik" doesn't allow editing 360 video.  This isn't very clear at all by the way.  The problem with the "gopro player" application is that the 360 video does not stabilize.  It is horrible.  I have found that the ios mobile app actually does stablization well, but the desktop is horribly shaky.  The stablization difference between the two video approaches (mobile vs desktop) is insane.  The desktop video post-production is unuseable.
  2. ios mobile approach:
    • when trying to download the ~11 minute 360 video to the mobile app I only recieve the ~3 minute chapter/segment.  I have deleted the app and reinstalled and rebooted my ios.  There is more than enough storage for the 5.6GB video (8GB free).  
  3. windows/ios approach:
    • I have tried downloading the ~11minute 360 video to my windows desktop.  Triming the 360 video with "gopro player" to ~30 seconds & ~300MB size and keeping it as a 360 video (important to note). Then adding the trimmed 360 video to the cloud and attempting to dowload the trimmed video to my mobile ios app.  It says it fails with red text this time.
  4. Other:
    • I have also tried downloading from the cloud to the app, both ios ipad and an android, with no luck either.  I can fill in this info on those device specs if I get a response.

The video specs:

- size is 5648MB

- duration 11:23

- resolution 5.6K

software versions: 

gopro app 10.6(6570)

ios mobile 15.2

ios mobile storage 24GB out of 32B (8GB empty)

the video link

https://gopro.com/gopro.com/v/qz35MBPNqNDoX

P.S.

As I tried posting this question I got a flag saying there were HTML errors (I didn't use the HTML tab at all, and not sure why you are giving a HTML for the customers).  The flag stated that I need to correct the highlighted issues before I can post it.  Nothing was highlighted, so how can I know what to fix?  Gopro you need a bigger dev department.  I see the same 3 people responding to these tech issues.  No way they can fix all of these problems. 

Tourist

Re: Partial video download from cloud to mobile app

[ New ]

Any luck with this issue? 

I'm facing exactly the same issue with any multi-part 360 video that's longer than 8 minutes. The latest Quick app 10.6 for iOS will download only the last part of a multi-part video, for instance, I've tried "Download to App" a 16:15 min video that is 8095MB in size, but when the download has "Completed", it shows 84.1MB and the duration of the downloaded video is 0:10. 

It's outrageous that GoPro is charging a cloud service that is almost unusable. How is anyone supposed to download and edit videos longer than 8 minutes? 

Please don't suggest (again) restarting your phone, signing out & in, reinstalling that app as none of those will solve the problem. This app is broken and needs to be fixed ASAP.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

I'm sorry for this, I have reported this issue a long time ago, however it seems that the investigation on it has been harder than expected. I do share user comments on this and hope it will be taken care of, I have once again, shared your comment on the bug report. Following it.
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks @haindash, I appreciate your prompt response.

I want to stress one more time that this is very basic functionality that renders the entire product/cloud workflow almost unusable

The only workaround (without using a desktop computer) is to download a multi-part video directly from the camera to the phone without using the cloud service, and that is a very slow process resulting in a downloaded video being shown as multiple videos/files in the app.

Tourist

[ New ]

@haindash Have you gotten any ETA from the dev team for this bug to be resolved? 

I personally have a bunch of videos longer than 8 minutes that are already uploaded to GoPro cloud and deleted from the camera. I'm absolutely furious that I'm now not able to download and edit those memories. I've invested so much money in the camera, cloud subscription, and my time to capture and upload those videos which I now cannot download via Quik app. 

GoPro

[ New ]

I'm happy to share that a developer is working on it, I will soon test his fix and hopefully it will be good :) We are trying to get it fix for 10.8 but let's see how it goes. I don't have an ETA for now.

Tourist

[ New ]

What is the next best alternative editing program dor 360 video?