Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

New GoPro user - app connectivity issues

Ok I have the GoPro app on my phone but I can't get media files on to the app.

It says camera found on the app so I try to use it and I get a camera firmware update. When I try to install this I get a warning come up to say there are issues.

I've tried resetting connections, changng to 2.4ghz, forgetting the home wifi and removing gopro from bluetooth and readding but no joy. What am I doing wrong?

One thing confuses me. Why do I have a camera name and wifi password on the camera info when I can't find the gopro wifi on my phone?

I'm getting very frustrated now.

Please help.
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: New GoPro user - app connectivity issues

Hello @stradivarius

Please complete the update manually.

See https://gopro.com/en/us/update

Once the camera is updated, try pairing it again.

Let us know how it goes.

Can you also help us with the following information: camera, camera version, GoPro App version, phone and OS version.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the reply.

Shouldn't I be seeing a GoPro wifi network on my phone and why can't I?

My camera is the GoPro Hero 8 and I'm using a a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone with 8.0.0 OS.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @stradivarius

Yes, the camera's Wi-Fi name should be picked up by your phone.

If you haven't yet, please complete the update manually before trying to pair the camera again.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Ej.

The link you provided to update the camera manually is an old one. Is this the latest link for the manual update?

https://gopro.com/en/us/support/product-update/register-camera

Additionally when I try to enter my serial number it says oops and doesn't recognise it. I'm pretty sure I've entered it correctly though. It's s C followed by 13 numbers isn't it? Why would your system not pick up my device?

Thanks.
Highlighted
GoPro

@stradivarius, yes, the link https://gopro.com/en/us/update is correct. When you're on the page, you select the GoPro camera model that you have then click "Update your camera manually."

Make sure that you enter the serial number with uppercase "C" and followed by the 13 numbers without space.

Let us know how it goes.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi.

I had to wait for a USB reader but I've done the manual update now and I'm still having no joy.  The manual update seemed to work as the camera gave me a tick to confirm it was complete. I still can't control my GoPro though so something isn't right.  It really shouldn't be this difficult should it?

To recap the app seems to recognise the camera and I get a tick on my camera to say connection successful. Then I try to click view media or control GoPro and I get a pop up saying 'We'll connect to the GoPro Wi-Fi to enable preview'. This is where the connection stops. After a while I get a warning message - 'We had trouble connecting with your GoPro' etc. I've tried your suggestions here and it makes no difference.

I have also looked at your troubleshooting page and tried the 2.4ghz workaround which again didn't work and then tried the advanced wifi settings to forget the devices listed here. I tried the airplane mode but I'm not sure what this actually does as nothing works.

I'm running out of ideas to be honest. The camera has the wireless on but does not seem to be picked up when the app wants to connect. As I've stated previously my mobile does not pick up a wifi for the GoPro and although I can see the camera info and a password on the camera how do I actually activate it?

Can you suggest anything else?  Do you have any stores I can go in to where I can talk to somebody with the technical know how to fix these issues?

Thanks.                 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @stradivarius. Try the steps below: 

1. Reset your HERO8 Black camera. Put aside. 
  2. On your phone, go to Settings, then Connections, then Bluetooth. If you see your GoPro on the list, delete it or choose Unpair. 
  3. Still on your phone, under Connections, choose Wi-Fi. If you see your GoPro on the list, select forget the network.
  4. Go to the app settings and clear the cache on the GoPro App. 
  5. Launch the app. On the camera tab, press and hold the image shown for your camera. Choose Delete. 
  6. Restart your phone. 
  7. Pair the camera and the phone as if it is the first time. 

If this will still not work, try pairing the camera to the app using a different device or phone. This will help us further isolate the source of the trouble. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!