Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Movie files time

[ New ]

I find it very useful that trimming my original movie in the GoPro app for Mobile and creating a new clip of it preserves the start time and when I trim out a few clips from a single movie they all sort in correct time order automatically. However I find it weird that I can't - or I don't know how to - save those files to Photos with the time information preserved. Instead, after saving my clips I receive all brand new now()-dated movies. Is there a way to export to Photos (i.e. on iPad) with the original time preserved? Thanks.

Hiker

Re: Movie files time

[ New ]

As a follow-up, I tried another option of exporting movie clips straight from the GoPro App for iOS to my MacBook via Airdrop. What I noticed is that the datetime the movies were exported with varies, depending whether you shared it from within your device or has it been downloaded from the GoPro Cloud Plus first. Any direct share from the GoPro App via Airdrop creates a local copy in Apple Photos app and those files which where shared from the device show correct time, even if they're extracted or trimmed clips. You may not find that date nowhere outside the app, like in File-GetInfo or Commander one - all created/modified datetime will show as when you trimmed the clip, not as when the clip trim started in the original file, but it still shows ok inside Photos app. But again, once file was uploaded to GoPro Cloud Plus and had to be downloaded back before the airdrop - the datetime of it will show as now() either in GetInfo/Commander One and Photos. Airdrop with All photo data included option set to on makes no difference.

Hiker

[ New ]

And one more, names also change. When you save your clip to Photos on iPad, the file will have a name, indicating though prefixes like final or final_clipped. Then if you share it from GoPro App via i.e  Airdrop, it will have a name similar to the first method, only without prefixes. Airdropping files direclty from GoPro App to your other Apple device creates a local copy in Photos and after airdropping that copy, your file will have even different name, with player_export_n or trimmed-trimmed-<original gopro file name i.e. GX010866> (which btw. makes the greates sense of them all).

Hiker

[ New ]

Here the doc making comparison between a file from the Cloud vs. from the local device, you can have two clips, taken exactly in the same day and GoPro app understanding that - the Info button shows 24.08 in both cases (it doesn't show time though...). Then after exporting /saving to Photos, one from the Cloud shows today - 07.09  (in Polish Dzisiaj means Today, 07.09) and one from the local device is correct and shows 24.08

Hiker

[ New ]

Attaching screenshot with comparison this time.

Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 23.23.43.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the information shared.

We'll have this checked.

Can you also help us with the following: Camera version, GoPro App version, phone and OS version.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hey,

thanks for coming back to me, I have this on my GoPro Hero8, software version 2.0 and the GoPro app is on my iPad Air 3rd gen, and the iOS 13.7, the app version is now 6.18.1.

Regarding my last comparison I realised that there are 3 icons telling me about my footage's status regarding copying to the cloud and I have that particular one from the comparison which did show an arrow to the cloud now in the cloud, but it's the same. In the app I have 5 clips dated as 24.08 but whenever I save them to Photos they arrive with the actual date. They also seem to loose GPS information.

Hiker

[ New ]
Hey,

thanks for coming back to me, I have this on my GoPro Hero8, software version 2.0 and the GoPro app is on my iPad Air 3rd gen, and the iOS 13.7, the app version is now 6.18.1.

Regarding my last comparison I realised that there are 3 icons telling me about my footage's status regarding copying to the cloud and I presented just two and none of them means that my footage is yet places in GoPro Plus. Only now all my images copied over to the Cloud. But for a reason it's the same. In the app I have 5 clips dated as 24.08 but whenever I save them to Photos they arrive with the actual date. They also seem to loose GPS information, as other images tell the location of taking them correctly.

What's interesting all 5 images I have problem with look they're being downloaded/saved from somewhere when I save them to Photos. I did have but already deleted other images from 24.08 which when Saving to Photos just saved in an eye blink, the progress bar was very fast. Not the case with those 5. It takes a while to get them saved to Photos, there's slower progress bar and Remaining time counter going while Saving.