Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Lost access to media on Hero8 Black with iPad Pro + lost file access

[ New ]

I downloaded the GoPro app so I could view my media on a larger screen, but after having connected successfully the first time, I can't seem to access it anymore. Nothing I do (restart, reset, reinstall, reconnect, reset bluetooth) makes any difference. I can see the camera, it just won't access the media.

I finally used a microSD card connector to add media to the app, but then I couldn't find or access the files when I downloaded them so I could share on WhatsApp with family.

My Hero8 is brand new. I'm getting to know it and enjoying experimenting with it, but right now the user experience with the app is pretty frustrating.

GoPro

Re: Lost access to media on Hero8 Black with iPad Pro + lost file access

[ New ]

Hi @ninjaapex

Are you still able to play the files directly on the camera?

If you have access to a computer, it will be best to manually copy the files.

What SD card are you using?

Please make sure that the camera, the app and the mobile device are all up to date.

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the reply. The files play just fine on the camera.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'manually copy the files'. Do you mean take the SD card out and tranfer them through a media drive? The SD card is the one that came with the camera... a SanDisk Extreme 32gb one. Everything is up to date.

I can access the media on my iPhone app. But not on the iPad app. Both connect to the camera just fine, but the iPad can't see the media.

I'm also having trouble sharing the video from my phone. I can download to the app, but can't share because it keeps telling me the videos are a format that my phone can't use (mp4?)... though I can use mp4 anywhere else.

These are all issues I need to address to fully enjoy my Hero8, but I guess one other takeaway here is that as a new user (and one that with high-level technology knowledge) there are a fair few user experience issues here that you may want to address. The camera interface is extremely intuitive to use, but the app is falling quite a bit short of that bar. In any case, any further assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @ninjaapex. Thank you for the details that you provided. Which types of files are not accessible or viewable with the iPad? Are these both photos and videos? Do you notice any resolution setting that is impacted? 

Tourist

[ New ]

I can't access any media from the iPad at all. And only random videos are accessible from the iPhone. I've successfully downloaded one video today. Two others (shot on the same day, with the same settings) tell me that the video isn't compatible with my phone. Resolution hasn't changed between them, so that can't be the issue.

Even when I use the GoPro link gadget to plug the SD card into my phone's lightning port, I can't access those files from within the GoPro app, even though it lets me download them.

Needless to say, this is getting very frustrating.

GoPro

[ New ]

@ninjaapex . Which resolution settings were used for the files that you are not able to access? On the iPhone, have you already been able to scan through the media in the GoPro App to see if the new videos may have been dated incorrectly and could be located under a different timeline? Have you been able to access media from the camera through the GoPro App on your iPad previously? Since the app connects your camera to the iPad, will it be possible to share with us a screenshot of how it looks like or any error message that you might be seeing? Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

It's not a date issue. As I mentioned before, I was able to connect to the iPad the first time I downloaded the app, but just 2 or 3 days later I couldn't.

As an example, there's one video that was shot at 1080p/120fps that won't download to my phone.The error I receive is attached.

The most recent video I did manage to download was downloaded in .mov. The one other video I somehow managed to download previously was saved in .mp4 format. I have literally no idea why they are two different formats. I had to convert the .mov video to mp4 using 3rd party software in order to share it.

There must be an easier way to do all of this. Just downloading the photos and videos is pretty convoluted. I'm not going to want to share every photo or video I make on social media from my phone, so this really has to be a lot easier.

IMG_9648.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

If app's/phone's issue is resolution, I don't want to have to shoot low resolution just to be able to download media to my phone. Isn't there some way I can download the media to my desktop without using my phone app? At present, the only way I can see to access the files is if they're downloaded to my phone's 'photos' and I can download from the cloud.

GoPro

[ New ]

@ninjaapex so just wondering, what's your phone actually? It seems strange that you could not save a 1080/120 fps footage to your phone...

Tourist

[ New ]

I have an iPhone 5s. I would prefer to save footage to my iPad Pro, but as I've mentioned, I can't connect with it.