04-22-2020 01:48 PM
I’m using version 6.11 of the GoPro app on my iPhone 8. The camera is a Hero 5.
When I download and edit a photo in the GoPro mobile app and then save it to my iPhones camera roll the the GoPro app seems to fail to write the GPS meta data in the exported image file.
Looking at the file on my computer actually shows none of the original exif data at all, like camera model and so on.
Thanks for your help. / Marcus
04-24-2020 12:24 PM
GPS data should be accessible in photos when viewing media on an iOS or Mac OS device.
What OS version is your phone/computer on?
How was the original import done?
04-24-2020 11:23 PM
Hi @aragon1006 thanks for replying.
iOS version is 13.4. I Use a HERO 5 Black with firmware 2.70. GoPro app version 6.11 Build 3659
Here are the steps to reproduce the issue in export to iOS Photos app.
- Take a still photo with the GoPro (GPS turned on naturally).
- Open the GoPro iPhone app. (Version 6.11 Build 3659)
- Transfer the photo from the GoPro to the iOS app using the wifi connection.
- Edit the photo. (I often take photos in portrait mode and the HERO5 doesn't auto-rotate so I do that manually.)
- Export the photo to the camera roll (Photos app) on the iPhone.
- Viewing the photo in iOS Photos app now in reveals no Location information (GPS EXIF data)
If I use the cable to manually transfer and import photos to my Mac the location data is preserved.
If I export an un-edited photo the location data is preserved.
My conclusion is that it seams it is the export function in the GoPro app that fails to export EXIF information only if the picture is edited.
If the file is edited it is named GPTempDownload.jpeg by the export process. Un-edited files keep their original name. Files exported by the GoPro iOS app contains no EXIF-data. I have attached an example.
Ideally the export process would preserve EXIF metadata.
05-28-2020 01:08 PM - edited 05-28-2020 05:00 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
We have checked on this further and found out that the GPS metadata can only be extracted from the original file.
06-01-2020 01:09 AM
Sounds like something to forward to the product owner as a bug then.
It's probably not intentional that the edit functions breaks the export functions.
Thanks for your help Ej.