Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Re: Location services for connecting to an app?

"...the app doesn't collect any personal user information..." and also "the check is in the mail..." and furthering that train of thought "I promise not to  _ _ _ in you..." HONESTLY WE AT GOPRO PROMISE!

I assume you mean GoPro is still "missing the point" because they still don't have a flipping clue about the issue and why they are experiencing attrition. Sometimes I wonder how such "intelligent" people can be so "stupid" and retain a job in the modern day workforce?!

Relegated to the back of the closet.

Tourist

The only reason that this is not required on an Iphone is that apple wont allow it. They want to own the personal data collected. Now apple have been more firm on this than google. This is why I dont use either of the two.

It is correct that on android location is NOT needed to connect to a wifi network or a bluetooth. It is cheap and stupid to even try to convince users of anything else. Im sorry gopro, the camera is fantastic but you just lost it all. Never ever ever again will I purchase a gopro product.

The most fantastic thing is that this is not a bug in android as some suggested. You as a providor can choose not to.. or allow an option not to. But no..

Pretty.. weak..
Tourist

Alright everyone, calm down. GoPro is correct. The app needs location permission to scan for cameras over WiFi. I'm an Android developer myself (not GoPro-affiliated) and, while permissions can sometimes be confusing, I can assure you Android is trying to protect its users with this one. GoPro just need to explain itself better. 

The GoPro app uses the Wi-Fi scanning capabilities provided by the Android WifiManager API to get a list of Wi-Fi access points that are visible from the device. When the camera has WiFi on, it behaves like an access point. To improve network performance, security, and battery life, Android 9 (API level 28) tightened permission requirements and further limited the frequency of Wi-Fi scans. Android requires any app that wants to scan for WiFi access points to request the location permission. Why? Because a list of WiFi access points near you can be used to determine your location. This is one way your mapping app is so fast at showing your location, even inside buildings. Location services on your phone uses a combination of WiFi access points, cell network triangulation, IP address geolocation, and GPS to find your location in seconds. So, Android is trying to protect you by letting you know, "Hey, this app is trying to scan for WiFi networks, but that also can expose your location, do you want to allow location?". Again, the GoPro app itself could explain this and their support reps should be better trained, but there you have it. 

However, what it doesn't explain is why the GoPro app is trying to scan while the app is not in-use which is what it is doing now. It's possible the app just not updated for Android 10's new fine-grained location permissions, but they really should be ahead of the game instead of waiting for customers to point out these issues.

If you want to get technical, here's the topic on WiFi scanning from the Android developer website:

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/wifi-scan

GoPro

Thanks a lot @rapidsurf7557, your help and detailed explationation on this matter is highly appreciated :)

Explorer

It's going to be amazing to see all of the "smart" people who commented on this post come back and apologize for making their ridiculous accusations and insults.
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Never mind it's just not worth the effort...

[GoPro free since Hero 3]

@danielr15 wrote:
It's going to be amazing to see all of the "smart" people who commented on this post come back and apologize for making their ridiculous accusations and insults.

Hiker

I am NOT a developer  but I have, and still, use numerous apps such as Nikon, Panasonic, DJI... To date, neither Nikon nor Panasonic require me to turn on location in order to connect or remotely control my cameras and DJI just "added" that requirement.  I am using the latest Android. How might you explain that? I'd be genuinely interested (no sarcasm intended).

Explorer

[ Edited ]

Check your app permissions