Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Re: Live streaming not working on GoPro Hero 7 Black

[ New ]
There is no UI in the camera software to activate the live stream. You have to use the app to configure your connection settings. Yes the stream will use your home Wi-Fi.
Tourist

[ New ]

I was having this issue and solved it. Livestreaming would work via regular wifi networks but not via my cell phone tethered connection. I'd get an error that my GoPro couldn't connect to my cell phone's wifi network. 

I did a speed test on my computer when hooked up to my tethered connection and saw that my upload speed was under 1 Mbps. It turns out that T mobile immediately throttles you to 3g speeds on their ONE plan if you don't pay for the ONE plus plan when it used to be that they gave you X GB of LTE data for tethering and then sent you to 3g. 

So I fixed that issue and got my upload speed higher and viola, I stopped getting any errors. 

So you have to make sure you check your upload speeds on another device in addition to just checking if it works at all. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I am having trouble getting live stream to work with an android (pixel). Go pro app will pair with camera, and I can see streaming live video footage. But app is pairing I believe ONLY via wifi. So, when i click setup live stream, it says it is not connect it to the internet so it cannot live stream.  It says enable bluetooth and try again, but bluetooth is enabled and paired to the camera according to my phone. When I connect my phone to the internet, it disconnects from the camera and even though bluetooth is enabled, seems to not be able to switch to bluetooth. It cannot simultaneously have the camera paired with the app via bluetooth while connected to another wireless connection. It just keeps attempting to switch back to camera's wireless to connect to the camera. I have tried turning the camera's wireless off, but it goes back on automatically.There is no way to manually pair the camera via bluetooth to the phone except via the app, which apparently is making my phone connect to the camera via wifi.

Have also tried disconnecting everything as suggested, disconnecting wifi and cell data and only having bluetooth on. Did not work. Also have uninstalled app and tried repairing camera and doing setup process all over again. Camera is up to date -- I installed updates manually via desktop just in case.

Very frustrated at over-simplicity of user interface. If I could manually see whether the app is connecting to the camera via wifi or bluetooth, at least I would know what was going on.

Was literally about to purchase multiples of these, and now I am re-thinking! Any help would be much appreciated.

Tourist

[ New ]

This GoPro 7 Hero Black streaming is rubbish.

Pure crap.  7 hours trying to get it to work,  multiple factory resets,  uninstall app,  reinstall app,  forget this device on B/T and WiFi and nothing.

Called technical support who was completely useless.   On a scale of 1-10 in customer satisfaction,  I'm in the negatives.   You can keep this piece of crap until you get it right!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @greenboost82165 and @terrencef2168. Once the camera is connected to an identified Wi-Fi network (or hot spot), it keeps connectivity with the phone via Bluetooth. Make sure that you are getting a stable connection with your Wi-Fi network for the live stream to proceed. This article  https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/getting-started-with-live-streaming will walk you through the steps. Have a go at them and let us know how it works out. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for your reply.  After 7 hours of trying everything,  including talking to tech support,  I threw in the towel.  I received an RMA authorization and returned it for my money back.

Perhaps your advice can help someone else experiencing the same difficulties I had however.

Tourist

[ New ]

I followed all of these steps and all advice in this forum (read my post above). I have a solid wi fi network. This works on my partner's iphone fine on the same network. The problem is that I believe the app is not working correctly on a google pixel phone.

Is there a way I can get the password for my camera's wireless network and connect my desktop to the camera to get the live feed on my desktop, as with the old gopros ?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @greenboost82165

There isn't a live feed option between the camera and the computer yet.

Have you tried using personal hotspot for the connection?

You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance.
https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I bought the Hero 7 Black a few days, and at first, i had no problems connecting it to the wifi.  I want to use it for live streaming for snowboarding.  It worked the first time, but ever since, i have not been able to get it to work.  I tried deleting and reinstaling the app a couple times, as well as factory resets.  Now, it wont even connect via wi-fi.  Even though my GoPro is connected to my phone via wi-fi, i cannot connect the app to the GoPro.  Not sure how that is happening, how can it be connected via wi-fi, but not connect via wi-fi even though its connected.  I'm lost!  I just keep getting the message i attached to this.  The only thing my gopro is good for is recording, but i cant connect to ANYTHING anymore.  First GoPro i have ever had that is giving me such frustrating issues.  Thinking about taking it back.  Any help would be appreciated. 

gopro issue.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]
I got mine to live-stream once upon a time. I’ve been skiing this week and also wanted to livestream, I have never got so stressed with technology since windows 95.
It sucks, does not do what it says in the tin, loads of people having issues and no fix from GoPro. The hypersmooth is good but livestream might aswel be removed from the options, the app is rubbish too,very temperamental
Do yourself a favour and return it.
Tourist

[ New ]

I returned after 7 hours of trying to get it to work.   Watch the 30 day return window!!    I went back to using my GoPro 4,  with no issues.  I'll take my refund on the Black 7 thank you very much!

Tourist

[ New ]
I don’t want to return it if I can help it. I do like the hyper stabilization a ton. But I wish their live worked batter. I noticed after I restarted my phone I managed to fix a lot. Here’s hoping later on I can get it figured out. Wondering why a lot of people are having issues with it but yet a lot of people it is working just fine for.
Tourist

[ New ]

disregard my previous issue complaint please.  After some time of playing around with it, and the app, and my phone, I managed to figure out what the issue was.  I have since been able to connect for live stream 4 times without any issues.   But boy o' boy, talk about a confusing mess for a minute!  Makes perfect sense now that i know what to do and what to look for but geez, i can see why people are getting caught up with it.  

Now I am happy!  Thanks GoPro for yet another awesome camera!! .... now that i got it figured out!

Tourist

[ New ]
So today I upgraded my phone from iPhone 7 to iPhone XS and live stream is working again. Only cost me 1.3k to get it to work then 🤣
Hiker

[ New ]

Have the same issue with Galaxy A8 with Hero 7 Black. Have to unpair and do pairing each time before able to set up live streaming thus usable for one time only. Only rtmp working, Fb and youtube not working, keeps asking for account to use and does not accept selection i made (tried 2 different accounts that are verified). Believe there is issue with bluetooth pairing which is not persisted in gopro.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue with iphone X and gopro hero 7. tried all advised solutions in this thread but nothing worked. even tryied switching between 2.4 GHz and 5GHz. Nothing seems to work. Im trying to stream to twitch using my rtmp url. im able to pair/connect iphone to gopro. Tried turning off mobile data and "forget" my current home wifi (so it cant reconnect at any time). I can see the live view. I set everything up and then click on "go live". It last about 5 seconds and then says "cannot connect. please restart camera" or something along those lines. 

Tourist

[ New ]

So disapointed in this camera. I can get it to connect to a facebook page, after having to go to the desktop version of facebook live so I can click on the go live button. However, everything stops working after a few minuets of streaming due to the speed of my hotspot. I have a good signal on my ipad (which is running the gopro app and serves as my hotspot).

What is the speed requirements for streaming with the GoPro?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @tareke81704 @shellin1

There is a recently released update for the GoPro app on iOS.

See if this takes care of the issue.

Check out the information on this article.

If you still get the same error, please reach out to our Support Team.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs   

We do not have a speed requirement for live streaming.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I just bought this GoPro today and updated the software to your most current version (1.70.00). I, in particular, want to be able to stream Live to my Facebook account and as of right now I am not able to. I am connected to the camera via Wi-Fi, but have been unsuccessful at pairing the GoPro to my iPhone 8+. And yes, both Wif-Fi & Bluetooth are enabled. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Ben

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @binrawbissun. First, make sure that you also have the updated version of the GoPro App. The latest version (v5.2.1) has been released just a few days ago. Once done, ensure that the you are getting strong and stable Internet connection. If you stream from a personal hotspot, make sure you have strong cellular coverage and a data plan that lets you stream from a hotspot and provides adequate data rates.

You may go through the steps here to get started with live streaming again. Let us know how it works out. Thanks! 

Tourist

[ New ]

I checked the versoion I have of the GoPro App. It is  5.2.2. So, I am using the most latest software you have available. I need to get this resolved asap as this weekend I have a conference I am attending and need to have the Live streaming feature working on my GoPro by then. Please advise on how to resolve this. Thank you.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @binrawbissun

I have just tested an iPhone8 and a HERO7 Black and was able to live stream successfully.

Make sure that your camera is paired with your phone via the GoPro app. Try re-pairing them again. Forget the Bluetooth ID and Wi-Fi name. Delete the camera name on the app.

You should be able to pair them.

If you are still having issues pairing, please reach out to our Support Team for further assistance.

They are available by phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Update: now with updated go pro app released in March made things even worst, live streaming hard to setup not fixed, and when get live streaming working, but actually at the rtmp server side totally does not received the stream. what gives go pro....did you guys really test your product properly.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same probelm. The app shows that the live stream is ok, but not a single byte on the rtmp side, therefore no youtube video.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @grandhero46231 and @mihalym05. There was a recent change to YouTube guidelines that is impacting how GoPro (or any other device) can do live streaming.  Per YouTube's Help Center, the threshold for YouTube Live has been raised. To be able to live stream on mobile, your channel will need to have at least 1,000 subscribers. See if this is what is causing trouble on your end with the live stream function. Let us know what you find out. Many thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

How recent is this? Because it worked two weeks ago.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello @mariustanya , using other encoder software like streamlabs sending stream to the same rtmp url (i am using GoPro other rtmp url option and not youtube since never got youtube option of GoPro app ever working) of youtube working still, only GoPro does not work after the update (GoPro app version 5.2.2 and GoPro Hero 7 Black v1.70 firmware).

So nothing to do with the said policy unless youtube is purposely blocking sources from GoPro only but not other encoders.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the quick reply, @grandhero46231. We actually tested going live directly from iOS and Android devices and we were not able to stream live. We got the notification regarding not meeting eligibility requirements for mobile live streaming. This notification links to https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853834?hl=en . The team is aware of the issue and is looking into it. We will provide an update once we get more information. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I need help! This is the message I am getting when trying tro set my GoPro Hero 07 up to go Live on YouTube 

You need to remove my hero07 from the camera screen Connect to your camera again, enabling Bluetooth, then set up live stream again. I have no idea how to do this! Everything I try doesn't work! Now I an getting Something went wrong Make sure WI FI abd Bluetooth are on to continue but they are both on!

Tourist

[ New ]

I also experience the issue with live streaming.

I need to pair again my hero7 black every time I want to stream, because of an error saying, that I need to use bluetooth.

After a successfull stream, I cannot make another one, because I cannot connect to my camera again.
Well, after an aplication restart AND GoPro restart I can select my camera, but I get the same BT error again, so I need to pair again my HERO7 and so on.

This is really frustrating.

Another thing is that when the stream fails because of a poor network connection, your camera stops recording to you SD card.

I would suggest to add an option to select not stopping the recording in case of such issue, because in my case I ended up in a situation, where I had no stream and no footage on my SD card and I couldn't do again what I did.

Streaming was one of the features I needed most and now I am really disappointed.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bonnied63485

You would need to disconnect from your camera first then reconnect to proceed with live stream.

You may try turning the Wi-Fi settings of your phone then relaunch the app and connect.

If it's still the same, try deleting the camera from the app, forget Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Then proceed with the pairing process again.

Let us know how it goes. 
You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs    

Hi dkvnt

See if resetting the camera to its factory settings will help.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi aragon1006,

Factory Reset did not help. Still same behavior.

Going trough the factory setting reminded mi of an another issue, where I cannot pair my app with camera using 5GHz WiFi band.

My phone of course works fine with 5GHz, as my home wifi network uses it.

Long story short:

1. Camera power on, android gopro app launch, camera add -> I can open gopro feed on the app, I can run LIve.

2. Once Live is finished I cannot launch it again.

3. Once I leave the app, I open it again, I cannot 'enter into the hero7' in the app, so no options, no feed (but I can see a blue icon next to the camera in the app).

4. I need to restart both camera and the app, so I can get into the camera in the gopro app, but cannot run live feed (Turn on Bluetooth to Stream live error, but the BT is on...).

5. I need to pair again the app with hero7, so I can run the live stream again...

GoPro Team, are you aware of the issue and are you looking into it?

Can we expect a fixed firmware/gopro app addressing this problem?

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for trying. @dkvnt

Before referring you to our Support Team, kindly check if re-flashing the software will make a difference.

Please refer to https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team.
They are available by phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej