Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Live Streaming with older cameras

[ New ]

Hi,

So I went and got myself an used Hero 3+ to use purely for IRL streaming since I discovered that the GoPro app lets you stream strickly to even custom RTMP's. Wonderful!

In case you are wondering "why would you do that you can just get a Hero 7 it's the new best stuff out there"... A: Because I have no money, for the budget I had I was able to get that 3+ which is still an amazing camera for my use!

that said:

So,

Now that I have the camera and I set it up to the gopro app on my tablet (or my phone), I just don't have the option to live stream!!?

So,

a lonely nerd like me obviously digs thorugh the magical world of internet and hears rumors that live streaming would be only supported (now hear this this has to be most f'd up thing ever) IF YOU HAVE HERO 7.

Is that true? If it is; why? what would be going on in the persons head to decided that?

The app is literally the same for all the cameras, but to limit live streaming option only to those who can get the new camera every time one comes out, woah....

So that rant out of the way: is it true tho? can't I stream with Hero 3+ using my mobile devices? if it's not true then help me please what achievement I have to complete to unlock that live streaming button?

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Live Streaming with older cameras

[ New ]

The live streaming option is hardware dependent as it uses the onboard hardware to compress the video stream for broadcast, not something you can do on the older camera's that don't have the hardware to support it.  The older cameras can only offer an LRV stream (low resolution video) without sound.  

You can alway see if you can buy some sort of external capture device that will accept the hardwired video output of your GP Hero 3 and stream. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

Re: Live Streaming with older cameras

[ New ]

The live streaming option is hardware dependent as it uses the onboard hardware to compress the video stream for broadcast, not something you can do on the older camera's that don't have the hardware to support it.  The older cameras can only offer an LRV stream (low resolution video) without sound.  

You can alway see if you can buy some sort of external capture device that will accept the hardwired video output of your GP Hero 3 and stream.