Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

List of Mobile Phones that support 4K 4:3 and 5K editing

[ New ]

Is there a published list of phones that support 4K 4:3 and 5K video editing in Quik?

I'm seeing that the latest Samsung S21 has 8K video with the ability to view and edit, but would that apply to only the video taken with the phone or any video files up to 8K (including GoPro and quik edits)?

I mainly shoot in 2.7K 4:3 so I can use quik, but I would prefer to use 4K 4:3 (and it's time for me to get a new phone).

Thanks for your help

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: List of Mobile Phones that support 4K 4:3 and 5K editing

[ New ]

Yes this is true for all phones. It's a limitation for now and we want to work on this to open up new possibilities. For now you'll have to stick to 4K or 2.7K when editing a Story.

You can do single edit in 5K though.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

Indeed 5K, 4K 4:3, 360 cannot be added in a Story. Multi-clip edits (Stories), require the app to open up multiple files simultaneously, in order to smoothly transition from one clip to the next. This is fine for files like 2.7K 120, 1080/60 and so forth. But, for the larger resolution files like 4K 4:3 and 5K, opening multiple files of those sizes will be too demanding on the device and it will definitely crash, something we don't want to happen.

We are working on support for those high res files, it's a long term work.
Hiker

[ New ]
Hi haindash,

Darn, just to confirm, this is true for the newest and most powerful phones like the S21 Ultra? Just confirming, as I see that phone advertised as being able to edit 8K video, which is well beyond 5K and 4K 4:3

Thanks
GoPro

[ New ]

Yes this is true for all phones. It's a limitation for now and we want to work on this to open up new possibilities. For now you'll have to stick to 4K or 2.7K when editing a Story.

You can do single edit in 5K though.