Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Is app required

Hello I was wondering if the app store go pro app is required to use and operate my Hero 7 Black camera. If not how come after manually updating the app through micro SD it still requires me to pair with the app to "continue setup". I can't use a 400 dollar camera designed to film because of a technicality. Again, is the go pro app REQUIRED to operate the go pro 7 black (film & take pictures). I'm going to request to return it first thing 7 am and buy a camera that does not require an application to setup the camera. I have a $200 smart phone that won't ever have a 5.0 android update even with aftermarket modification. I'm not going to buy a brand new or used smart phone just to be able to use the hero 7 black. Thanks I apologize for being difficult.

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Is app required

[ Edited ]

I solved it. After manually updating it will still take you to a screen called "Go Pro App" 1. Please Connect your go pro to the app to finish the set up 2. Leave your camera on while it finishes it.

If you hit the back arrow, ONLY THEN will it give you the option to skip the setup. Hope that helps anyone as I wasn't able to use my go pro after manually updating for atleast a weak and the support on the phone had no idea how to bypass the app. Hope this helps anyone who wont be able to use the phone app what so ever. Sorry for the frusteration it just seemed that a $400 camera designed to take pictures and film wasn't able to do what it was designed to do without the app.

I hope this helped.

Again, after manually updating through micro sd card, it will take you to the language -> legal -> gps -> Go Pro App page which you won't be able to leave unless you hit the back arrow <-, finally it will give you the option to either "Skip setup" , "Continue". Otherwise without hitting the <- back arrow, it will only let you power off the go pro and it will repeat the process of asking you to pair to Go Pro App to "finish setting up". 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hi @alex2323,

The app is only required for update but can disregard that. 

You may update your camera in other ways. 

You need to update your camera first in order to use other features especially if it's 1st use. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Gray tree did you read my post? I updated it manually through sd card but it REQUIRES the app to "continue the setup" there is no other way. I don't want to use the other features I want to be able to use the camera at all.

Hiker

[ Edited ]

I solved it. After manually updating it will still take you to a screen called "Go Pro App" 1. Please Connect your go pro to the app to finish the set up 2. Leave your camera on while it finishes it.

If you hit the back arrow, ONLY THEN will it give you the option to skip the setup. Hope that helps anyone as I wasn't able to use my go pro after manually updating for atleast a weak and the support on the phone had no idea how to bypass the app. Hope this helps anyone who wont be able to use the phone app what so ever. Sorry for the frusteration it just seemed that a $400 camera designed to take pictures and film wasn't able to do what it was designed to do without the app.

I hope this helped.

Again, after manually updating through micro sd card, it will take you to the language -> legal -> gps -> Go Pro App page which you won't be able to leave unless you hit the back arrow <-, finally it will give you the option to either "Skip setup" , "Continue". Otherwise without hitting the <- back arrow, it will only let you power off the go pro and it will repeat the process of asking you to pair to Go Pro App to "finish setting up".