08-18-2020 02:48 PM
Pretty much every amateur race car has a GoPro on it, sometimes as a requirement of race control.
Sitting in the pits dicking around with PCs and fiddly SD cards is a pain. I'll keep using my old 5 and live with poorer quality.
08-19-2020 02:38 AM
I do want to chip in for this request and the remarks on this topic. The Hero 8 is my first GoPro after owning loads of other brands. I'm very impressed by the hardware.
But the lack of software support and the quality is really frustrating for a brand like GoPro. Not updating Quik for Windows is mindblowing, it at least should support the file format.
I'm fine if they want to go Mobile only or Mobile first, but at least make the app work perfectly. Quik on IOS also has so many issues, a few examples:
- The whole GPS stickers is a mess, doesn't work with large files (it just states no GPS)
- You can't use GPS stickers recorded files twice in a story, the stickers will be lost. Issue reported in 2019 and still not addressed
- You can't remove highlights marks from download files
So a bit disappointed that a high-end brand as GoPro can't create proper software, or at least have a good structure around getting feedback and handling it.
The value of a camera is not only the hardware, it also includes software to create impressive videos utilizing the full potential of the hardware.
08-19-2020 03:08 AM
Sorry for the frustration. Regarding Quik App, the mobile app isn't updated, so you should focus on GoPro App.
- Currently, if you save a media with a sticker to the App and then select it to make a multi-clip edit, it will not have the sticker. You have to first SAVE TO PHONE, then import it from there for the sticker to be displayed > this is a bit annoying and we are aware of this, we want to address it in the future, however we have tones of other subjects on our plates...
- The issue with stickers on long videos is that it may not have sufficient data throughout the whole video, hence no data to have the sticker displayed. Sometimes the GPS is locked then signal is lost and back on again, when this happens the data isn't reliable enough to use it in the stickers. In a next update, we will lower the threshold so try to make more use of the data, even if it's not always precise.
- About HiLights, you can remove HiLights when you are in multi-clip edit.
08-19-2020 03:16 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry I was using the GoPro app :). Again so confusing all the different software and lack of updates.. Clearly shows lack of vision and execution around software.
Quickly replying on your solutions:
- Saving to the phone is a work around, this should be addressed in the app. As this bug has been known a long time
- The stickers should be working, the GPS data is there with other external paid tools. Even if the GPS was lost for a few seconds, you still should be able to add the stickers. When there is no data it could show 0. Then we can edit this out.
- Not sure what you mean with Multi-Clip edit. I can at least not remove then from the files. I can't find a way to remove a highlight from a recording downloaded to my phone.
08-19-2020 03:26 AM
Quick response as well :)
1/ yes we are aware, it's not good, ticket is open.
2/ the change we did should help, should be coming in the next update, don't have a date yet, sorry
3/ Multi-Clip edit: you simply take several media and start a Story (music, can add text etc...) there on tapping on a media you can put / remove hilights, hilights are used by the tool to make automated cuts. Only the hilights you put are shown, not the whole video.