Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Hiker

Is GOPRO providing Windows app to replace QUIK

I am new to the community and I am somehow surprised and baffeled that I cannot see QUIK anymore in the apps arena on the GOPRO site. What will GOPRO provide to edit and process my Hero footage?

I have bought a good action camera and I am left with geting a third party product on the internet. That cannot be GOPRO's intention.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Is GOPRO providing Windows app to replace QUIK

[ Edited ]

Apparently not.

In their infinite wisdom, having seen that the world is dominated by 10 year olds posting videos of exploding cats to FB/Instagram on their mobile phones, the boffins of GoPro have changed the entire process to be mobile phone centric, with all sorts of really bad consequences.

See my post https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Mobile/Things-that-are-broken-unusable-or-dysfunctiona...

Worse in my case, Quik has decided that my laptop cannot process HEVC, so after having downloaded the video files, Quik chooses to hide them, so I cannot do anything with them anyway. My laptop, while in no way top end, does have hardware HEVC support (I checked), so Quik is just wrong. Anyway, this makes for very tedious and time consuming processing.

/rant

I am more or less ready to throw the GoPro 8 in the bin and keep using the 5 which Quik still works with. Way lower quality, but at least I don't have to spend days on my iPhone moving files GP8-->iPhone (WiFi) and adding stickers, editing and moving them internally GP App --> Pictures  and then exporting to PC/Mac via USB/WiFi . Then I have to buy some pro software that will stitch all the 5 minute videos together because the GoPro software development team are misguided children managed by a an incompetent.

There is apparently no equivalent of "MP4 Joiner", so I am looking for a solution of how to stitch HEVC files together

/end

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @joachimb42. You can get the Quik for Desktop app here: Install Quik for desktop

Highlighted
Hiker

The Mac version does not recognise the new GoPro8 file formats. Hardly surprising since it hasn't been updated.

Welcome to the world of GoPro where their software department is managed by morons.

GoPro: I am available and probably have more experience than your entire team combined. I am definitely astute enough to instantaneously recognise stupid software design when I see it, something obviously missing from your team.

Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro obviously have zero interest in taking software support seriously. This is obvious by the fact their apps have no easy to find user manuals. Anyone who can't even be bothered to produce a technical document to explain how to use the features and functions of its applications clearly has no interest in whether or not you do so. They're here to sell you overpriced proprietary accessories and hopefully once a year a new camera with a mild spec bump.

Just mug GoPro off completely and download the free version of Davinci Resolve from Blacgic Design. A group of people who understand how to make amazing hardware and understand the importance of creating well supported software to compliment it.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/

My first GoPro arrived 2 weeks ago and the more I learn about how GoPro view their business and their customers, the less I'm inclined to ever by another.
Highlighted
Tourist

I mean here's how seriously they take software support...

Their forum doesn't even have an option to edit a post 🤦

Highlighted
Hiker

The good/bad news is I unloaded my completely unusable GoPro Hero8 to some poor unsuspecting buggar who doesn't yet know how retarded GoPro software is or why the camera is useless with the "software" GoPro provides.

I am out of pocket, but I got a fair chunk back.

GoPro software makes their cameras pointless paperweights.
Highlighted
Tourist

I wouldn't necessarily go that far. You can edit the footage with literally any other piece of editing software. If you're ever incorporating GoPro footage with stuff shot on smartphones or a CSC/DSLR then you won't ever be using their janky ass apps anyway.

Software for cameras is almost always an afterthought. It's on the list of nice to haves rather than an essential feature, but the fact GoPro put so little effort in does seem to be indicative of the fact they've got lazy and complacent at the top of their game.

Game on, DJI 😜