Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

IOS app cloud upload - échec lors du verrouillage écran

[ New ]

Bonjour,

je voudrais vous faire part d'un problème de sécurité plutôt gênant sur l'app Quick pour IOS:

• les uploads vers le GoPro cloud se déroulent bien lorsque l'écran de mon iPad Pro est déverouillé
  • ...mais l'application Quik s'arrête (et es uploads n'aboutissent donc jamais) lors d'un verrouillage de l'écran
  • La seule solution est donc de désactiver le verouillage automatique du périphérique (en configuration sur "jamais" dans IOS) et de laisser l'écran allumé.
  • Mais cette solution de contournement n'est pas vraiment acceptable d'un point de vue "sécurité", en particulier lorsque l'on est dans une chambre d'hotel ou dans un environnement "voyage" qui permette alors à d'autre personnes d'accéder au device "déverouillé"

Idéalement, l'application Quik devrait être fonctionelle en "background", sans plantage (comme c'est actuellement le cas)

GoPro

Re: IOS app cloud upload - échec lors du verrouillage écran

[ New ]
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, here's an alternative solution for you.

Upload to the Cloud via the mobile app can take a very long time. For example, if you are using your phone for other stuff or if you go in and out of internet service that’s going to delay the upload.
 The desktop app is also a slow upload mechanism.
-> If you want the media up fast or if you have large files and a lot of them , it’s best to use camera as a hub, that is that the camera uploads to the Cloud directly > plug in the camera overnight so it will upload while you sleep with no interruptions.
See this article here > https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Auto-upload-your-footage-to-the-cloud-with-GoPro-PLUS/ta-p/388304
Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks @haindash 

I am,uploading from the camera when on plain WIFI at home.

The issue is when travelling: I am usually purchasing premium WIFI from the hôtel but it requires to enter special credentials in a browser. Something that it is not possible to do from the camera. Hence I am using the iOS apps in such case as I have two 256Gb devices (iPAD and iPhone).

the slow upload mechanism of IOS Quik app and its limitation (crash/ pause of uploads if the device is not kept turned on without even screen lock) is a real issue under such circumstances.

this is imho the #1 weak point of the GoPro ecosystem. It is not fit for active holidays due to that limitation.

i strongly recommend:

- either to put in place a mechanism allowing to upload from cameras in an hotel WIFI

- either to let the camera "hub" in Bluetooth on the connected IOS app wifi in order to do the transfer to GoPro cloud using its WIFI connection

- either to fix the IOS upload feature in order to give the user more control on the files to upload in priority and/it at a fastest pace.

- or at least a mechanism allowing to save and recover GoPro videos from and to IOS Quik in their native format using the Apple Files app and the alternative storage (USB, iCloud, Dropbox, MS One) so that they can be uploaded to GoPro cloud at a later stage.

Without such improvement, it is very difficult to transfer GoPro videos to the cloud before being back home. This limits the quantity of videos that one can take when travelling.... ;(

can you please relay my use case and suggestions to the IOS App and GoPro cloud product managers so tha5 it is considered in the backlog of improvements?

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,
Thank you for the detailed feedback, I will share these points with Cloud team.
Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]
Sorry really - Hotel wifis are a problem....
One option is using the laptop as a wireless bridge.
Hiker

[ New ]

WIFI tethering is however afaik only available on 4G, not as WIFI 2 WIFI Wireless Access Point, isn't it?

And hopping to  notebook to then use the web uploiad interface from there is, as you stated, slower than from camera, or isn't it? But you are right that at least in such case there is more manual control on which files should be uploaded in priority (something than can unfortunately not be controlled on  the IOS app)

GoPro

[ New ]
So about background upload - We cannot stop the OS from cancelling the upload job, at least on Android. Not 100% sure about iOS but it might be the same.
But good news is - We are working on making a priority queue where the user can upload certain files at priority. Backend and UX is in the work.
Don't know when this will be implemented but we're working on it.