Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

I am unable to install the Gopro app on my Samsung J4+ ANDROID 9

[ New ]

Hi there

Gopro Black 8

I am unable to install the Gopro app on my Samsung J4+ ANDROID 9

Any help why is that? On the app its says (Requires Android 7.0 and up)...

thanks

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: I am unable to install the Gopro app on my Samsung J4+ ANDROID 9

[ New ]

@fleetflame1173 @costasp6 

Sorry for the frustration.

The thing is that it's not only the Android version that is important for the App to work but also the OpenGL version (graphical framework provided by the OS). The OpenGL version on your phone isn't the required one however, there's no info about it :(
Our Team is working on improving this as we speak, I have no information as the update version that will have the change for now though but it's a priority.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @costasp6

What error message are you getting when trying to install the app?

What country is your Play Store registered to?

Is there another phone you can test this with?

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi aragon1006 

this is what i get, pic... in blue says is not compatible with your device and red that is installed which is not... doesn't let me to install the app... 

2020-02-26_LI.jpg

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @costasp6

Instead of going through the browser, what happens if you search it via the Play Store app?

It will also help if you can test this with another phone.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

hi aragon1006

when i search on my phone on google play app this is the screenshot that i get...the gopro app its not there at all...Screenshot_20200226-214121_Google Play Store.jpg

GoPro

[ New ]

May I know where are you from? @costasp6

Also have you tried using other Android Device?

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

i am from greece

i haven't tryed on another phone

Tourist

[ New ]

I managed to install the GoPro app on my J4+, but it doesn't list the Hero 8 when asked to choose a camera, only previous GoPros. If I select the Hero 7, the Hero 8 will say it is successfully connected, but then the app refuses to accept my password even if I reset it.

GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate the detailed update, @fleetflame1173. Did you get the GoPro App directly from the Google PlayStore? 

Tourist

[ New ]

Unfortunately the GoPro app isn't available in the Play Store on my J4+ (although it is on my Galaxy 6), so possibly the GoPro app version I managed to track down is out of date (I have now uninstalled it). I guess the next step is to try to figure out why the GoPro app doesn't appear in the Play Store on the J4+ (although other GoPro apps like Quik do). Maybe it is a settings issue with the J4 - I have no idea! I've messaged Samsung to see if they can shed light on the matter. Failing that, my next move will be to try to find an up-to-date GoPro app version from another source. Is the latest GoPro app only available through the Play Store?

Tourist

[ New ]

Well Samsung suggest the issue might lie on GoPro's end:

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics Australia.

We are sorry to learn about the issue you are experiencing with being unable to download the GoPro application on your Galaxy device.

One reason you may consider why the application will not appear in the Google Play Store is that the application was not developed for the device's model with the software version.

Depending on the application's developer, applications are being made with certain requirements such as model, software version, memory, etc,. If any of these, were not met by the device, the application will not be available.

You can contact the application's developer to check for any alternative applications you can use to connect with the Camera.

Is there any way of confirming whether the GoPro app will not run on the J4+ and also whether there are no workarounds? I'd hate to have to purchase a new phone if I don't need to.

BTW my J4+ is running Android 9.

GoPro

[ New ]

@fleetflame1173 @costasp6 

Sorry for the frustration.

The thing is that it's not only the Android version that is important for the App to work but also the OpenGL version (graphical framework provided by the OS). The OpenGL version on your phone isn't the required one however, there's no info about it :(
Our Team is working on improving this as we speak, I have no information as the update version that will have the change for now though but it's a priority.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the clarification and the update - much appreciated!