Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

How to use GoPro 8 horizon lock in app?

[ New ]

So on GoPro's website they said that as long as you are filming at 200 frames or less you can use horizon lock ( https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/What-is-Horizon-Leveling/ta-p/398907 ), but I have used two different videos and have followed the steps and the button for Horizon lock is not even there. Has anyone been successful in using it with the GoPro 8 and if so what were your settings?

GoPro

Re: How to use GoPro 8 horizon lock in app?

[ New ]

Hello @shadowfoxe57. Is your video file recorded with 200 frames per second or less. Horizon Leveling only works with these videos. Make sure as well that you have already downloaded or saved your videos to the GoPro App or your phone. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Correct, I'm at 60 fps, 2k res, and have saved the videos to my phone.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, this would be also very interesting for me. Could anybody try this and how much totation is possible with how much crop?

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details you provided, @shadowfoxe57.We used the same setting that you have and we are able to see the Horizon icon/option in the GoPro App when we tried editing the video. 

Workflow: Pair camera with the GoPro App, download video to app, view video under Media tab, select pencil icon, select Frame icon, and Horizon will be among the options. Have a go at it again and make sure you have the latest version of the GoPro App installed on your device. 

@silkem552. Please do the same. Let us know how it works out. 

Should you still not see the Horizon option, please provide us the following details: 

• A brief description of the issue and what you have tried, sample clip showing it would be greatly helpful
  • GoPro App version
  • Camera model and firmware version (e.g. HERO8 Black v1.20)
  • Phone Model (e.g. iPhone 7 or Samsung Galaxy S8)
  • Mobile OS (e.g. iOS 13.1.2 or Android 9.0)
  • Resolution settings of videos you have tried out

Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Could you tell me in which settings, stabilisation modes and resolutions it won't work?

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]
I am having the same problem.
GoPro

[ New ]

@silkem552 @shadowfoxe57 @hid1200 

If you try with the pretty simple 1080/60 fps video you should see when tapping on your video, under the PEN then under FRAME option the Horizon button.

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't see the Horizon button.

CF3EB5A8B5E2-1.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

@hid1200 @shadowfoxe57 @silkem552 

Do you have the latest Firmware on your HERO8? v1.50 https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black 

GoPro

[ New ]

@shadowfoxe57 @hid1200 @silkem552 

Next step would be to send us the original files.

GoPro

[ New ]

I've recieved a file from @hid1200 - @shadowfoxe57 @silkem552 don't hesitate to send me a private message with a link to download one of your source file so we can dig into this problem... Merci :)

Hiker

[ New ]

In any 4:3 mode, it is not possible to get higher framerate than 30 when using horizon leveling. Can you confirm this?

GoPro

[ New ]

@silkem552 

Should be ok at 60 fps. 
If your H8 video do not show the Horizon button in GoPro app, please don't hesitate to share them with me so we can check them.
(Dropbox link / private message)

Hiker

[ New ]

So haindash,

we sent you a couple of clips of not working horizon leveling. Could you tell us the result of checking them?

GoPro

[ New ]

@silkem552 @shadowfoxe57 @hid1200 

We are still investigating but it seems that there is an issue with the metadata of these particular video files.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the update. Is there any workaround for the metadata issue?

Tourist

[ New ]
I have exactly the same issue. Any help would be great
GoPro

[ New ]

Hey @steg5 ,

Can you check your footage to see if auto low light is turned on? It appears that enabling that on the camera causes Horizon leveling to not work. Please make sure auto low light is disabled on the camera first, then you should be ok.

Tourist

[ New ]
Wow that's fixed it. Thanks so much for your help. I assume this is a bug and not a feature lol
Hiker

[ New ]

As with me, auto low light was always disabled, and horizon leveling worked. But only up to 30 fps.

That was my problem, gopro advertises that leveling works till 60 fps, but if I want to level the horizon with such a file (even 1080), the leveling button is not shown. Can you correct this?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hey @silkem552 ,

Thanks for that info. This is currently being investigated, so please bear with us in the meantime.

Thanks!

GoPro

[ New ]

@shadowfoxe57 @silkem552 @steg5 @hid1200 

The feedback that we're getting is that:
- with low light ON the Horizon leveling option is not available.
- when log light is OFF the media is able to be horizon leveled.

Horizon Leveling is supported in frame rates higher than 30fps (i.e. 1080@240fps), the only restriction is auto-lowlight.

I would suggest that you check this option and start with a brand new file. Also HERO8 has been updated lately.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Unfortunately, even after updating it is not possible to level 1080 in 4/3 with more than 25p...

2,7 K is also only possible with 25p. The icon does not appear in higher frames except of course 30p.

Is "auto lowlight" in german "restlichtverstärker"? If yes, it is always disabled in my cam. So where is the bug?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @silkem552 

I did the test and I cannot reproduce :( 

- Shot two videos with Hero8 - 2.7k/60 and 2.7k/120
- Download from Hero8 to GoPro App

- From Media / App, tap on the first video
- Tap on the Pen option

- Tap on Frame (called Bild in German)

- Horizon button is there, second button after Fit (Anpassen / Horizont)

I can do this for both the 60fps and the 120fps files.

Auto-low light is restlicht in the Camera - that's what I saw when I switch my camera to German.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,

unfortunately it doesn't work with me.

Here are two sample clips. One with 30p where horizon leveling works and another one with 60p where it is not possible.

Could you check it and tell me what could be the bug?

https://www.file-upload.net/download-13899163/NeuerOrdner.zip.html

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]
Are you guys on Android or Apple?

I'm on the latest Android, all I did was un select the low light option and it the horizon button turned up. I am on the latest Android on a note 9
Hiker

[ New ]

Me too, I am also on the latest android, but the horizon icon only appears when I choose 30p clips. Did you try with my clips from above?

By the way, all my 30p clips are "GH" files and the 60p clips are "GX" files. Why is it so and what is the difference?

GoPro

[ New ]
We will check your files, thank you for sending them and sorry that it's not working for you.
GoPro

[ New ]
So we had a look at your files, it seems like your camera is sending back the wrong info even if you've deactivated low-light.

When you can, can you please do a factory reset on your camera.
and let's take it from there.
Hiker

[ New ]

Is there no other way to check this or tweak the cam. It took me hours to customize all the presets and settings to my preference.

Really annoying to spend again lot of time for customization.

Can I save the presets?

GoPro

[ New ]
Of course, I understand for sure!
So after digging on this, we found that it's a camera bug that has been fixed in firmware update 1.7 - don't know yet when this will be out. Will keep you posted.
Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks, yeah the keep us updated when firmware will be for download/update.

Just wondering why on some cams the horizon leveling works with my settings...?

GoPro

[ New ]

@silkem552 

I have no info for the firmware update, it's work in progress.

Workaround I was given - Can you try this:

set the camera to 1080p60 so that the UI for low light is enabled and turn the feature off. Now switch to wherever resolution and frame rate you wish and low light will still be disabled. The bug seems to be the metadata is storing the old state of the UI and the app is looking at the wrong metadata field to see whether low light was active.

Hiker

[ New ]

Not possible to do that. For some reason lowlight is not available at all in 1080 (whether 25p nor 50p). I don't know what to do?

Explorer

[ New ]
Reset your camera to all the defaults. Once done, change nothing before going straight to Auto Low light and turning this feature off (it is on by default). Auto Low light is for people who do not know that you need to use a slower frame rate in low light to get the most light to the camera sensor. You do not need this setting.
GoPro

[ New ]

@silkem552 Did the advice of @danielr15 help?

On my camera when I'm on 1080/25 - low light is N/D however when I'm on 1080/50 I can set it to on or off.

Hiker

[ New ]

Unfortunately this also doesn't work. Whether if I put my cam on 1080/25 or 50p the lowlight thing is always disabled and not possible to enable.

I haven't had yet the time and motivation to do a whole reset because of all my presets, etc... And I am not sure that this helps.

Haidash, when do you think will this bug being solved?

GoPro

[ New ]

@silkem552 I hope you understand that I am trying all I can to help.... the thing is I don't have much cards left. @danielr15 knows that I'm trying my best ;) 

Factory reset could help - I don't know 100% for sure since as long as you don't test it, we can't know if it helps. And yes I understand how annoying this must be for you to redo all of your presets. :(

HERO8 Firmware update - should fix this bug however I am not allowed to communicate on timing about that :( Sorry my hands are tied.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi all,

indeed after resetting the whole cam and the settings, now I am able to do the horizon levelling also in 2,7k and 50p.

Thanks a lot for the help.

One thing I still do not understand: If I record in 2,7k and do the levelling thing, which crops in a lot, I get after saving the file, an output of also 2,7k. It should be something around one third of the resolution.

Is there a way to tweak this?

GoPro

[ New ]

@silkem552 
As the cropping is done dynamically all along the video, it's hard to come up with a correct unique and optimized output resolution. And if we did this, this would also result in non-standard resolutions (you'll get something between 2,7k and 1080p) - that may not be recognized by some software.

Hiker

[ New ]

So for best viewing on a 1920 x 1080 display, would you recommend filming and exporting in 1080 or 2,7k?

Does the upscaling not ruin the quality?

GoPro

[ New ]
2.7K should be fine.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,

one thing I noticed after the leveling process is the fact that 1920x1080/50p looks way better (a lot less artefacts) than the leveled 2.7k/50p footage.

How does this come? Could you check this with your cam.

I Watches both clips on a full HD tablet and pc.

Thanks for your help.

GoPro

[ New ]
and the answer is: we have a bug filed for that :)
Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry, but what do you mean with bug filed? How can I solve the problem?

GoPro

[ New ]

Oh it just means that there's a bug report for this issue and it will be fixed that's all :) 

Hiker

[ New ]

Does this mean, that there will be an app update soon? What problem/bug will concretely be solved?

Thanks

GoPro

[ New ]

@silkem552 

I can suggest that you join our beta programm so you'll have access to the latest version of the app. 6.10 is currently in beta.

To beta test GoPro App you will have to fill out a NDA first. Here: https://goprorc.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3dRVirHRT9IfmBf
I'll add you to our testers' list when it's done.
Beta process:
- iOS: install TestFlight on your device, invitation will come per email
- Android: Open this url on your phone and follow instructions to access the beta: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.gopro.smarty
To share feedback and for follow up > ask access to our Beta Testing feedback groups here either:
- iOS GROUP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/goproapp.ios.beta
OR
- ANDROID GROUP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/goproapp.android.beta
I manage those groups, it's a place where beta users share their feedback / ideas / bug reports / videos / questions etc...
We can then do the follow up on the Facebook group and per Messenger, it's best for me to help users that way.

Best,