Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

How do I persuade the app to save to add on memory? Not bog down internal memory?

[ New ]

And when it's done so why do I then have to select "download" to switch pics out of hiding in the app so that I can see them within file manager?

And why doesn't the app tell you when (internal!) memory's full and it has dropped some transfers in?

And why can't you see the filenames when selecting pics to transfer (and you're trying to select photos that were missed on the last transfer)?

I suppose the solution is to transfer to PC - but when I'm on my travels in India a PC is a tall order and the whole point of a GoPro is or should be its mobility.

Why can't I designate a folder on my phone's memory card for the app to at least save to, if not reside on!? So that I avoid all the to'ing and fro'ing and staged file transfers that arise through not having enough internal memory to load in media on the GoPro?

Have I got the wrong software? Have I completely misinterpreted how to use the App? Was I at my wits' end on holiday? Why have I not used a single expletive? I need help.

GoPro

Re: How do I persuade the app to save to add on memory? Not bog down internal memory?

[ New ]

@godfried, the GoPro App used the internal storage by default and currently there isn't a way to change the file location of the app. You can transfer the GoPro content to an SD card on your Android device by following the steps here.

Tourist

Re: How do I persuade the app to save to add on memory? Not bog down internal memory?

[ New ]

I think all that link tells me is what I already know I can't do! And to excuse the poorly written app by saying provision of external memory by android equipment producers is becoming less prevalent is a poor excuse for a poor app that does not take account of real world use.

Tourist

[ New ]

I should add that I think my GoPro is a really handy gadget - that's why I am so frustrated by the poorly written software which detracts from its useability when travelling.

Tourist

[ New ]

And until you have an acceptable app I won't consider upgrading my GoPro, unless it's with a different maker.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have decided to return the gopro hero 8 black that I purchased, due to this issue.

My phone's 64GB internal storage is just not big enough even after deleting many apps, yet I have 200GB available on my SD card storage that can't properly be utilized. It is frustrating to say the least. The auto transfer fails due to insufficient space. Any attempts to edit already transferred videos fail due to insufficient space. Suggested video creation fails due to insufficient space. Further, attempting to move the videos to the SD card as described in the link above merely duplicates them on the sd card rather than freeing internal storage, so that is not a solution. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Once moved to sd card you could delete the original transfers from internal memory (in Android I'd expect that to happen anyway as part of a move operation - as opposed to a copy). But I'm certainly not defending the GoPro app!

My point is that when I have just a few videos on the GoPro (plus photos to confuse things even more) they exceed the available space on my phone's internal memory so I become bogged down in trying to transfer just sufficient to make use of available internal memory without exceeding it and losing transfers and then being confused about what I have moved and what I haven't. This is not OCD! I want to backup my GoPro while travelling because it is small and potentially easily lost. To back up to the cloud is not a realistic option because of the limitations on hotels' broadband. I really find the laissez faire attitude to the problems of this app incredible when the hardware is a good product (in my view!), why not acnowledge the app has problems and release an improved version instead of burying a corporate head in the sand? Hey GoPro have you seen your Trustpilot score? Time to improve.

Tourist

[ New ]

Totally agree godfried. However if I move it to SD and then delete it from internal memory, the gopro app no longer knows it exists so it can't be used for things like suggested videos or duplicate detection. Also the move changes the creation date which destroys sorting unless you remember to offload and move the same day you recorded. It's just all around bad.