Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Highlight (HiLight) tags don't get recognized by gopro app for android if video is read from phone

[ New ]
Hi!

I am writing to you in hope for some guidance to see either I am overlooking something or I perhaps found a missing feature in the Gopro app for android. I attached screenshots to mirror what I am trying to do.

The idea I developed for my personal video management and clip creation (to keep family archive) is as follows.

Gopro Hero 8 Black
Gopro App for android (6.5.1 8535)
Huawei P20 Lite (occasionally Samsung Galaxy S7)
QNAP TS-251A

1. Record video on the go as usual (some highlight tags on the fly)
2. Add video highlights using smartphone afterwards
3. Upload all footages onto local home cloud server via USB locally
4. Free up gopro memory card
5. Sometime later, I would download certain videos and images to create sum up videos for the family (QNAP > phone)
Note: the Android app of gopro is fairly more advanced than the desktop version of it.
6. Based on my earlier highlights, I'd expect the app to find the significant moments I'd most probably want to add to the clips also (without me having to add the tags subsequently again). Now, this doesn't happen because the app doesn't fetch the highlights of my recordings somehow as they never existed - unlike the desktop app (mac os) that I double-checked to validate my idea.

I suppose a root cause that only the transition from the camera onto the Gopro android app would make the app look for highlight tags - and it won't do so if a video is read from the phone itself (after having downloaded it from elsewhere).

What do you think guys?
05 add video to edit from phone - GoPro App wont recognize highlights in videos downloaded from qnap.jpg

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Highlight (HiLight) tags don't get recognized by gopro app for android if video is read from ...

[ New ]

I suppose a root cause that only the transition from the camera onto the Gopro android app would make the app look for highlight tags - and it won't do so if a video is read from the phone itself (after having downloaded it from elsewhere).

> that's exactly it. You have to take the files from GoPro App to make your multi clip edit so that HiLights are there and taken into account. Once they are saved onto your phone, the HiLights are not there anymore, only in GoPro App.

An alternative would be GoPro Plus.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Highlight (HiLight) tags don't get recognized by gopro app for android if video is read from ...

[ New ]

Hello @fradihet. The Hilight tags made on your GoPro video files will only work (or detected) when the files are accessed through and from either the GoPro App or Quik for desktop. 

Tourist

[ New ]
@mariustanya
Yeah, I agree on that. That is my point as well - see point 5 and 6 again please. However, to my observation the android gopro app doesn't detect the HiLight tags - which definitely have some - when the video files are fed from the phone's storage. Reminder: I couldn't store hundreds of GBs on my phone just to wait for the moment when I have time to actually put a proper 5 mins clip together for instance.
GoPro

[ New ]

> that's exactly it. You have to take the files from GoPro App to make your multi clip edit so that HiLights are there and taken into account. Once they are saved onto your phone, the HiLights are not there anymore, only in GoPro App.

An alternative would be GoPro Plus.