Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

Has anyone successfully connected HERO 9 Black to Galaxy S8 App?

Hi,

I have been trying for hours to connect my new HERO 9 black to my Galaxy S8 (with Android 9). The camera indicates successful connection but the app indicated connection failed. I have updated the camera to the latest version (1.21). Switched off and on bluetooth and WiFi. Power cycled phone and camera. Tried both 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands.

I have looked at solutions on the forums and on the internet in general for other phones such as the Galaxy S10, or phones with Android 10, but there seems to be different settings that I can't access. I am at a loss as to how I can connect.

Has anyone been able to successfully connect a Galaxy S8 with the HERO 9? Please help!

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Has anyone successfully connected HERO 9 Black to Galaxy S8 App?

Hello, @loyalexper40216. Try manually connecting to the camera's WiFi network.  Send the app to the background and manually connect to the camera from your phone’s WiFi settings. You can find the password by putting the camera in pairing mode, then hitting the Info button on the camera.

There are user-shared solutions here that you might also want to check out. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello mariustanya,

I have tried manually connecting to the camera wifi after sending the app to the background and with the camera in pairing mode, but I couldn't find any wifi network for the camera. Should the camera's wifi network name be shown in the list of available networks?

I then tried to manually set up the network (I set the network name as camera name from the camera info screen and the password from the camera info screen). It didn't show up as an available network in the phone wifi settings. When I select advanced options from the phone wifi settings, then manage networks, it indicates the network I manually set up is not in range.

I have tried a number of suggestions from these support forums, but am not having any success. I've tried both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi bands. I power cycled the camera and the phone. Are there any other suggestions? I am at the stage where step by step instructions might help, but I feel like I have tried most of the recommended suggestions.

Thanks.

Highlighted
GoPro

@loyalexper40216, I have a few troubleshooting suggestions that will help: 

1. Restart your mobile device. 
  2. Once your phone is back on, turn on/off the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. 
  3. Delete the GoPro camera under the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi entries in your mobile device’s settings. 
  4. Remove your camera entry from the GoPro App's history. 
    • Android: Open GoPro App. Press and hold the image of the camera and delete the entry from your camera history. 
    • iOS: Open GoPro App. Tap the pencil icon in the top-left corner of the Camera menu page. Tap the red X icon to delete the camera entry from your app’s history. 
  5. Clear the cache for the GoPro app in your device's settings under the "Applications" section. 
  6. Kill the app and relaunch it. 
  7. On your GoPro camera, turn the Wi-Fi off and on. Then restart the camera. 
  8. Now, put the camera in pairing mode. 
  9. Open the GoPro App on your phone and tap the camera icon. The app will try to connect via Bluetooth and take you through the pairing process. Follow the on-screen instructions in the app. 
    • Note: Some phones and regions require the camera to be in a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band, you may also try this out. 
  10. For future reconnections, just make sure that the camera’s Wi-Fi is on and you’ll be all set. 

Let us know how it goes.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello aenriquez,

Thank you for your detailed instructions. I followed each step as instructed, but it still gives the message on the camera that the connection was successful, however, the app then says it was unsuccessful. I have attached a screenshot of the message on the phone.

Could there be other apps interfering with the connection, or known phone settings that are preventing the camera from connecting (security setting for example)? I think it is close, given the camera states a successful connection. Would really like to get this working.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mike.

Screenshot_20201018-095613_GoPro.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @loyalexper40216. Try manually connecting to the camera's WiFi network from your phone’s WiFi settings. You can find the password by putting the camera in pairing mode, then hitting the Info button on the camera.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello mariustanya. As mentioned in my earlier response, I tried to connect manually to the camera WiFi network from my phone's WiFi settings, but without luck.

The problem is my phone can't see any "available" network that resembles the camera in the WiFi settings, whether the camera is set to the 2.4GHz or 5Ghz WiFi band.

Thanks,

Mike.

Highlighted
GoPro

Apologies for missing that part, @loyalexper40216. To verify, is the location services enabled on your Samsung S8 phone?