Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Gopro quick on Samsung TAB S5e

[ New ]
Hello to all to my immense regret the new Quick gopro app has major performance problems on my Samsung tab s5e tablet. After downloading the clips I select them to do the automatic editing and after a few seconds of execution the video freezes, the audio continues to feel good but the video freezes and proceeds by skipping many frames and there is no fluidity. The tablet is very performing and is updated to the latest patch releases. After spending money on the subscription, I would like it to work well. Hope someone can help me. thanks a lot

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Gopro quick on Samsung TAB S5e

[ New ]
Hi,

So I suggest to close this thread with the following information:

Samsung's TAB S5e:
Issue here is low performing devices with high resolution media 4K: the solution for this is for the app to improve the support of high resolution media accross more devices. Our goal is to implement proxy handling.
This is on in our roadmap but it won't be made right now. It's a problematic that we are aware of and we want to make backend changes to improve this.
I do not have a timeframe on this.

S21:
We will conduct some Story testing with various media / resolution / large files etc... to see how the app performs on the S21 that we have which has the same chipset. Depending on what we find we can investigate. Thank you for the logs, they show that the app is unresponsive but sadly as it's a production app it doesn't bring much information. We need to be able to reproduce the issue in-house to get somewhere.
The app will be updated very soon with 10.0, I suggest that we give us some time to see how the app performs on 10.0 on S21.
You can reopen a thread later if necessary, I will also follow up with testing team to see what comes out of our testing.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @iw9grl

Thank you for the details shared. What version is the app on?

Do you still remember the resolution used on these videos?

Have you tried changing the theme?

Can you please do a test edit using 1 or 2 videos? 

You may also check the steps on GoPro Quik: How to Resolve Crashing or Freezing Issues

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi , thank you for your answer , below info you needs : I'm using last version available on playstore The resolution used on camera is 4K I tried changing theme but nothing change I did test using only 1 clip ! the really strange situation is that the tablet is still very performing with all apps to mount video, like filmora or DJI mimo using 4K videos, high resolution super amoled display and updated with last Android release, no problems to reproduce 4K videos, issue in particular is during the use of highlight tags thank you for your reply BR Daniele ....#
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for getting back to us. @iw9grl

Were you able to go through the steps on the link?

Can you please check the version number of the app?

To further isolate the issue, would you be able to test another device?

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi dear I folĺowed all the suggestions in the link,but nothing changed. The app version installed is 8.11 from play store. I tried on another device and it works well with same clips used with tablet. I did another test creating other clips @1080p/50fps and with these seems to work better. It is really strange that a tablet with great performance suffer editing 4k clips. Waiting your answer. Thank you
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi.
I have exactly the same problem in my samsung galaxy s21+ since months. I hve the latest SW in the phone and the latest version of Quick. I have done all the steps you referred to (erase the caché and so on) but nothing works. The video editor is always frozen in the middle of the edition. I have a GoPro 4 Session and the videos I used are from this camera with a resolutiin of 1080p @30fps (not so demandand). My previous Galaxy S7 with the previous quick app works better. I think there is a compatibility prioblem between the new Samsumgs devices and Quick app. Please, tell us what we can do or resolve the issue. Has GoPro tested the Quick App with a Galaxy S21 o Galaxy Tap S5? (Exynos processor). Regards
Hiker

[ New ]
The tab s5e have snapdragon processor
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

Sorry about that.
For @iw9grl sadly it's a performance issue here. The chipset from the Samsung TAB S5e is probably not performant enough to work with 4K while doing a Story.
The fact that the app runs better with 1080p/50fps goes in that direction.

Multi-clip edits (Stories), require the app to open up multiple files simultaneously, in order to smoothly transition from one clip to the next. This is fine for files like 1080/60 and so forth. But, for the larger resolution files like 4K, opening multiple files of those sizes will make the device struggle.

For example when dealing with 360 media, which is similar than 4K right, we require those chipsets minimum:
Kirin 980 and newer
Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 and newer
Exynos 9810 and newer

This is what the Samsung TAB S5e has: Qualcomm SDM670 Snapdragon 670

For the S21 @stouthero46036 I'm not sure what's going on there, 1080p/30 footage should be running smoothly on it yes.

Maybe you could give me more information about your device / screencast about that's happening exactly?
I have this thread already on S21 on which I am stuck maybe you can help out by sharing more information on your problem
https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Mobile/App-problems-Black-clip/td-p/1176032/page/2
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi.
Yesterday I have a 1h video at 1080p/30fps with GoPro session (19 clips, 9GB aprox) . I start a clips edition. Just to include the 19 clips, change the music, select the clip time (2 min aprox) and thats all. I press play to see the video automatically generated before saving it and at 1 min aprox, the image is frozen but the music continues. I cannot press any button, the app y frozen. I have to close the app. It is like it is not enought memory, but it is not possible because the s21+ has a lot of RAM. I tried several times and always happens the same. With less clips, trying to include highlits, etc always the app is frozen (no button works). I change the configuration of the S21, putting the processor to High power and disable the battery resteictions, but nothing different.
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

Thank you for the information.
We're talking about lots of videos in your case, when you make a Story the idea is to have a music length video, so like 2, 3 or 4min video.
It's probably the fact that you are trying to edit 9GB / 1h of video that is making the app freeze like that - the app has to decode at least two videos at the same time, if they are high resolution or very big files then there's not enough decoders to work correctly.
Do you experience the same problem if you're making a short Story of 2 mins or so?
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi. I think you have not understood what i meant. I have tried to make a clip of 2 MIN. What i told you is that previuously i record with my gopro 1h of clips (9GB, 19 files with difdwrent sizes) and this material i used to create a 2 min clip. I think that create a clip with from a lot of files is very common. I have created several clips of 3.5min with my previous S7 from a lot of files with 30-40 highlighs witout any issue. But I would not like to come back to may old S7 to uses Quick app having right now as S21.
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

Ok I understand. Even if the result you are aiming is a 1min video, you are still inputting 9GB of files in the app which to me seems quite big and it could explain the issue you are having.
It would be interesting to know if you are encountering the same issues with a test project, smaller than that.
In any case a major update of the app is coming up and updates always bring lots of fixes.
Hiker

[ New ]
Hi thank you for your kindly answer . But, I'm disappointed about the hardware requirement to build a story with gopro quick . Gopro furnish an app ( Gopro quick ) that I PAID an annual subscription to have full functionality to edit stories . Gopro MUST explain before download app from play store that the compatibility will be not guarantee. the hardware required to edit the stories is exaggerated for the simple reason that there are very few tablets with the features you require and cost as much as a latest generation personal computer. I take the liberty of saying this because using other applications, for example Adobe Premiere Rush there are no such problems using the same 4k clips. Perhaps, Gopro should think that most end users don't have devices with this performance and maybe optimize the software for better management. Many apps do a downscale before allowing an edit to work with low resolution previews. The fundamental purpose of your app is precisely to allow the creation of a story in a short time without the use of a personal computer and if it is not optimized to do this, perhaps there is some concept problem. Having said that, I will not buy another device just to edit the 4k clips of the gopro, but I will certainly not renew my subscription next year. Thank you
GoPro

[ New ]
@stouthero46036 @iw9grl

I understand your point and your frustration. Improving the support of high resolution files is definitely something we want to focus on - developing proxy support and low resolution for preview / high resolution for export is something our backend team will be tackling. It's a heavy work so it won't happen overnight but we are aware and we will improve in that direction.
Hiker

[ New ]
Thank you for your understanding I know it is an hard work , I'm a software developer and understand the big effort required. But I put a pay subscription only if I'm really confident of what I produce for the community . The proxy way I think is a good choice as Adobe Premiere do in its workflow. I hope in a new release in a short time even if there will be some bugs but I'm confident the gopro community will be very happy for this ! Do you know when a probably new release will come ? thank you
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi again. I have just tried with 5 files (2Gb aprox) and the same issue. It is not a problem of size. It happens always. As I told you before, I managed more files and greater sizes with my old S7. GoPro can record a lot of hours, so it is normal that the GoPro Quick should manage it. Even if it is 1080p/30fps. I have writen here because your partners in playstore told me that you can help me, but I'm afraid that gopro support doesn't know this issue. I am really surprised because in playStore there are a lot of people telling the same issue and I have it from 2-3 months. Please tell me what do you need to investigate the issue. Regards
GoPro

[ New ]
@stouthero46036
Thank you, Yes I have been trying to help users wish S21 but we do have a S21 device and it works without any issues on our end making it difficult to find what's going on.
Could you tell me the chipset that your phone has?

@iw9grl
An updating is coming up, I don't exactly know when sorry, but it doesn't include the work on proxy as this is a heavy backend work and we are not there yet but going in that direction.
Tourist

[ New ]
Exynos 2100. European version. Android 11. One UI 3.1. SW version G996BXXU3AUHB. Quick version 8.11
GoPro

[ New ]
Ok thank you, I will check with the S21 that we have.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi again.
I have just copy the 9 GBs GoPro files in my old Galaxy S7 with android 8.0, and I made the 2 min clip without any problem and with the new aquick App (version 8.6)!!!!!!!!! So the explanation about the great amount of files is not valid.
It has to be compatibility issue with S21, android 11 or something similar!!!!
It is not pissible thar S7 could made the clip and the S21 crashes during de edition.
GoPro

[ New ]
Thank you for trying that.
I will check with testing team the S21 that we have to see if it's a similar phone / chipset - if there's something that we can find on our end.
Also - an update of the app is coming up, don't know the date but it should be too long. It's probably worth checking it out when it's out as there are lots of fixes in it.

thank you
Hiker

[ New ]

Honestly speaking,

given the big problems in the app,

given the big complaints that several users are highlighting and especially considering that GOPRO admits the problems and shortcomings present, it would be honest on GOPRO's part,

given that we have paid for a subscription, at least one even partial refund of the amount paid, it would be a professional attitude towards many users

BR

Tourist

[ New ]
Totally agree
GoPro

[ New ]
@iw9grl @stouthero46036
I don't know if a refund is possible, I'll ask.
S21 issues have not been encountered by our testing team which is why we don't understand why it doesn't work for you. It's not a problem that we are aware of and not fixing, we don't reproduce any issues on S21 in our testing which makes it hard to understand what's happening.
And as you see I'm still trying to understand.

4K compatibility / high resolution on less performing phones is known, it's a simple fact that a phone with a less powerful chipset will not work properly with high resolution media.
We do mention here https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Quik-How-to-Resolve-Crashing-or-Freezing-Issues/ta-p/392953 that high resolution media could be the reasons for freezing or crashing.

All in all we are still trying to improve.
Tourist

[ New ]
Has your S21 got the same chipset that I have? If you need more information from my side, you could ask me. Thanks
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,
I do not personally have the S21 it's a colleague that has it, I've asked and he's away at the moment so I'll know later.
Tourist

[ New ]
I have captured an Android report with the cause of the failure. If you send me and email , I can send it to you to see the issue.
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

So I've asked, I don't believe refunds are possible but you can contact our customer support to explain the situation at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs - as I am in testing team I don't have access to anything subscriptions related so this team is the one to help on refund matters.

Concerning the issues S21 - I'm waiting to know more about chipset from my coworker, maybe it's a chipset problem.
For 4K support / phone performance - I've shared all feedback from this thread with engineering team, this is a matter we want to tackle and we are investigating transcoding possibilities.
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

News on the this: the S21 that our testing team has has an Exynos 2100 chipset, we will do some Story / multi-clip edit testing on it with various / lots media and see how it goes.
The main challenge for us is to actually encounter the same trouble as you, if the app is running smoothly on our end then we have nowhere to start our investigation.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi
Thank you for your answer.
As I told you before. I have some log files as this one taken from my phone. If you need them i can send you.
Anyway, I will wait for your testing results.
Regards
20210913_110837.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi @stouthero46036
How are you getting those logs? The thing is that I don't think that production app bring lots of info in the logs as we usually use logs from a Debug app that has more info, but why not, maybe we can see.
You can send me a private message here.
Tourist

[ New ]
This log cames from the android operating system.
I can sent you more info, but i dont know how to send you a private message. Could you explain me?
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,
I've sent you a private message here.
Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry guys,

but you are taking off topic the discussion that was created for problems on Samsung's TAB S5e, don't you think it is appropriate to open a dedicated discussion?

Thank you

Tourist

[ New ]
You're right
Sorry
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

So I suggest to close this thread with the following information:

Samsung's TAB S5e:
Issue here is low performing devices with high resolution media 4K: the solution for this is for the app to improve the support of high resolution media accross more devices. Our goal is to implement proxy handling.
This is on in our roadmap but it won't be made right now. It's a problematic that we are aware of and we want to make backend changes to improve this.
I do not have a timeframe on this.

S21:
We will conduct some Story testing with various media / resolution / large files etc... to see how the app performs on the S21 that we have which has the same chipset. Depending on what we find we can investigate. Thank you for the logs, they show that the app is unresponsive but sadly as it's a production app it doesn't bring much information. We need to be able to reproduce the issue in-house to get somewhere.
The app will be updated very soon with 10.0, I suggest that we give us some time to see how the app performs on 10.0 on S21.
You can reopen a thread later if necessary, I will also follow up with testing team to see what comes out of our testing.

Thank you.
GoPro

[ New ]
@stouthero46036
Pease, let's re-evaluate later when Testing team has checked with our internal S21 + when update 10.0 is out.
Thank you
Hiker

[ New ]
Hi
a question, which Mediatek chipset had you tested with gopro quick??
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,
From testing we found that Mediatek chipsets do not work with 360 media, only gives black preview, so I suppose with any high resolution files, this will give problem.
GoPro

[ New ]

@stouthero46036 @iw9grl 

There's no evolution on proxy handling side as this is a longterm work.

As far as S21 testing goes, our QA has the same S21 with Exynos 2100 and he tested Story with all kind of media, resolution, fps, big, small and threw at it all he could and the phone was performing fine no lags, freeze or black frame. At this point I'm very sorry but we don't have much to bring that to the dev team as we have no reproduction steps on our side. I'm very sorry, I have been following this and trying to get to the bottom of it but we are not able to see the similar problems you are experiencing.

Tourist

[ New ]
Ok. Thank you for your help. Regards.
GoPro

[ New ]

@stouthero46036 @iw9grl 

One thing I wanted to suggest you to try because one developer has noticed a strange issue on one of his Android phone: updon stopping the internet connection for his particular device (and it's not a S21 but worth trying) the app was performing better.

Is that something you could try maybe? Just start your Story and turn off Wifi / Internet.

Hiker

[ New ]

HI

I will try .... I hope anyway a BIG BIG update of the app with lowres preview ( proxy ) for not performing devices :(

thanx a lot