Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Gopro breaks compatibility with advertised working hardware: livestreaming on Android 5 doesn't work

[ New ]

Gopro is a hardware company, not a software company.  When you buy a device you look and see what hardware it operates with and you would expect it to always work with that hardware. If there are bugs, they should fix them.  If  only new hardware can use new features, that's fine too, for new features.

The Hero 7 black came out at the same time as the gopro 5.0 app and was supported by it.

There's a CNET announcement of the gopro 5.0 app stating that it performs live streaming for the hero 7 on any Android 5.0.+ device.

You buy a gopro hero 7 and guess what?  You cannot live stream on an Android 5.0.2 device!  Mine cannot be updated beyond Android 5.0.2, and I happen to like it.

Yes, I know you can find the old 5.0 app (the last one that worked on Android 5) and install it (another thread that got locked).   It works, mostly.  Transfer works.  Live preview works.  Remote control and settings work.

When you go to live stream though it tells you to update the firmware on your camera.  The firmware version that it offers is the same (latest) one that's already on your camera (presently 1.9.0).  You do it anyway.  Then you restart everything and try to livestream again, and the same thing happens again.  I've tested on a newer phone and yes things work, but THIS worked for this camera when it came out according to GoPro's own press release and web listings, and now it's been broken.  It's fine if you come out with the hero 8 and say it only works on phones with x OS.  It's not fine to break interoperability of old cameras.  

I suspect this nothing more than the 5.0 app getting confused in trying to determine valid firmware versions.  I'd bet under hood nothing is even broken.  I doubt they changed the streaming API because if they did everyone would have needed to update their app at the same time as camera firmware which would have caused a mess.  It probably just fails a check and won't go. 

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Gopro breaks compatibility with advertised working hardware: livestreaming on Android 5 doesn...

[ New ]

Hello @goprouser3

We continuously work on the improvement of all our products and applications.

Live streaming with the camera requires the GoPro app.

GoPro app is compatible with Android 7 and up. See https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Mobile-Apps-Compatibility/ta-p/394353

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

Re: Gopro breaks compatibility with advertised working hardware: livestreaming on Android 5 doesn't

[ New ]

I'm bumping this to the top because it was spam blocked for awhile.

GoPro

Re: Gopro breaks compatibility with advertised working hardware: livestreaming on Android 5 doesn...

[ New ]

Hello @goprouser3

We continuously work on the improvement of all our products and applications.

Live streaming with the camera requires the GoPro app.

GoPro app is compatible with Android 7 and up. See https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Mobile-Apps-Compatibility/ta-p/394353

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Live streaming doesn't work without external hardware.  That's how you've designed it.  It didn't have to be that way, but it is.

When the device was sold it was advertised as requiring an Android 5.0 phone phone to live stream. 

"We continuously work on the improvement of all our products and applications."

You say a certain hardware is sufficient, get people to invest $300 based on that, and then it isn't sufficient?  How is that improvement?  You can't change compatibility requirements after the sale and pretend to be an ethical company. That's just dishonest.  If you want to allow new features with new hardware fine, but actually making it impossible to use the old hardware?  Again, purely dishonest.

Maybe next year you'll tell me I can't copy any video off the camera unless I connect to it with a 2021 macbook. By your logic why not? Please explain how that is different?

Can you imagine selling someone a copy of windows, saying it requires X cpu to run on.  They buy it, and then 2 years later you tell them it will no longer run on that hardware?  It's actually happened that atom chips no longer run on recent updates, BUT they do still run just fine on the older windows 10 releases which were all supported with bug fixes.  That's not the case here.

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm still waiting for advice on how to make a very significant feature of this device work using hardware that it was designed and sold to work with when it was released not much more than a year ago.  I guess expecting stuff to work as advertised a whole wopping year after production is me just being stuck in the past?