Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Gopro 7 - Preview from Gopro from App will only work if I turn off cellular data on iPhone X

[ New ]

Hi All,  I have tried everything (manually updating software on Gopro 7, resetting the connection, resetting Gopro 7 itself to factory settings, etc.) to try and use the preview function on the GoPro app.  The Gopro will connect to my iPhone X and my iPhone recognizes the camera but everytime I try to use the preview function, there is an error message saying connection has failed.  But once I turn off my cellular data, the preview function on the gopro app works just fine.  I don't want have to turn off my cellular data everytime I want to use the preview function on my gopro.... is there a way to fix this? 

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Gopro 7 - Preview from Gopro from App will only work if I turn off cellular data on iPhone X

[ New ]

@faststorm63417, I don't think this could be related to the application since I wasn't able to replicate the issue on my end using the same iOS device, GoPro App version installed and camera model. To further isolate the problem, can you test this out on a different mobile device you have available?

You may also check with the network/data provider to ensure that nothing is interfering on that end.

In addition, it might also help to reset the Wi-Fi connection of the devices. Please follow these troubleshooting steps accordingly: 

1. Remove your camera entry from the GoPro App's history. 
    • iOS: Open GoPro App. Tap the pencil icon in the top-left corner of the Camera menu page. Tap the red X icon to delete the camera entry from your app’s history.  
  2. Reset your camera’s Wi-Fi settings using the instructions HERE.
  3. Delete the GoPro camera under the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi entries in your mobile device’s settings before attempting to re-pair to your GoPro using the instructions HERE.

Let us know how it works for you.

Ann

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Gopro 7 - Preview from Gopro from App will only work if I turn off cellular data on iPhone X

[ New ]

@faststorm63417, do you have the most latest version of GoPro App (v5.2.3) installed?

I tested this out on iPhone X with iOS 12.2 installed, and the preview on GoPro App works with and without the cellular data enabled. When the cellular data is turned off while the camera is connected to the app or while the app is open, the preview screen will just go blank for a second or two and displays "Starting Preview" then will go back to the preview display again.

To further isolate the issue, does the issue happen during recording only? If so, what mode (e.g. Video, TimeLapse, TimeWarp, etc.) does it usually occur?

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, yes - I do have the latest GoPro app and with my GoPo, the preview only works on my iPhone when the cellular data is turned off.  The minute you turn it on, my iphone screen will go to "starting preview" but never launch the preview and then eventually fail.  Once that happens, it will prompt me to hold the powerbutton on the GoPro for like 8 seconds and it just goes on like that.  I don't even have the chance to start recording, I want to be able to use my GoPro preview without having to turn off my cellular data on the iPhone.  I spoke to someone at GoPro support who is supposed to get back to me.  That support person thought it was a software issue because we had gone through all the trouble shooting steps. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@faststorm63417, I don't think this could be related to the application since I wasn't able to replicate the issue on my end using the same iOS device, GoPro App version installed and camera model. To further isolate the problem, can you test this out on a different mobile device you have available?

You may also check with the network/data provider to ensure that nothing is interfering on that end.

In addition, it might also help to reset the Wi-Fi connection of the devices. Please follow these troubleshooting steps accordingly: 

1. Remove your camera entry from the GoPro App's history. 
    • iOS: Open GoPro App. Tap the pencil icon in the top-left corner of the Camera menu page. Tap the red X icon to delete the camera entry from your app’s history.  
  2. Reset your camera’s Wi-Fi settings using the instructions HERE.
  3. Delete the GoPro camera under the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi entries in your mobile device’s settings before attempting to re-pair to your GoPro using the instructions HERE.

Let us know how it works for you.

Ann