Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

GoPro3+ Live Preview while Recording

[ New ]

Can anyone provide settings that will allow live preview while recording video on a GoPro 3+ black? I see that a month ago there was a post from Support indicating that there was a bug preventing this, did that not get fixed in the most recent update?

I've disabled bluetooth on my phone and am using the GoPro's wifi as my network on my Samsung Galaxy 8+ (android).

Night lapse seems to have started with 4 according to articles and I can't find any settings that seem to apply.

I've been through all of the Resolution/FPS combinations and none of them worked.

Live preview is working up to the point I start recording and then the message 'Preview Not Supported' appears.

I have the latest verion of Quik (8.2) and camera firmware (HD3.11.03.03)

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro3+ Live Preview while Recording

[ New ]

Ok, I tried it with the latest version, 8.3, and it now actually says preview not supported twice.

I went through a number of resolution/FPS combinations and then started playing with other settings.  When I turned off the setting for Protune, I was suddenly able to see the preview while recording.  Still had to stay at 30 FPS or less and was able to get up to a resolution of 1440.

So I guess you should update your troubleshooting documents to talk about Protune.  It could be one of the subsettings but I tried setting each of them to the lowest level and that didn't allow me to preview while recording so it seems like turning Protune off all together is the solution for at least the 3+.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @daringpeak3162

If you haven't yet, please check these links:

GoPro Quik: Live Preview

GoPro Quik: Live Preview Never Starts

To help isolate this, would you be able to test the camera with another phone?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, I've been through both of those links and addressed each troubleshooting step from both in my post above.  I do not have another phone that I could use to test the camera.

I do see in the following post that you claim the bug in Quik that was generally preventing live preview while recording was fixed at that time.  It doesn't say what that version that was, maybe it's broken again?

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Why-did-you-break-the-gopro-app-No-live-preview-Do-you-even-t...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @daringpeak3162

The latest update release should take care of the preview issues for older cameras.

Can you please share a screen recording showing the issue/error?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Unfortunately this forum doesn't allow screen recordings, only images, jpg,gif,png extensions.  So I attached a frame showing the message that appears when you start recording.

I did create a video showing me turning on the gopro, starting the quik app, connecting to the gopro, checking the settings, verifying the live preview, starting to record a video, and getting the message "Preview Not Supported".  I can email it to you or upload it somewhere if you have a spot that will accept .MP4 files but it really doesn't show anything beyond what I declared in my original post.

goproquik.PNG
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @daringpeak3162

You can upload the video to Youtube or Dropbox and post the link here.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
A video showing me turning on the gopro, starting the quik app, connecting to the gopro, checking the settings, switching the 24FPS, verifying the live previ...
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks! @daringpeak3162

We appreciate your efforts in sharing the sample file.

We have recently released an update for the GoPro Quik app on Android.

Please check if the new version makes a difference.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Ok, I tried it with the latest version, 8.3, and it now actually says preview not supported twice.

I went through a number of resolution/FPS combinations and then started playing with other settings.  When I turned off the setting for Protune, I was suddenly able to see the preview while recording.  Still had to stay at 30 FPS or less and was able to get up to a resolution of 1440.

So I guess you should update your troubleshooting documents to talk about Protune.  It could be one of the subsettings but I tried setting each of them to the lowest level and that didn't allow me to preview while recording so it seems like turning Protune off all together is the solution for at least the 3+.

GoPro

[ New ]

@daringpeak3162, thanks for posting back with an update. We'll share the details with our team. Let us know if anything else comes up.