Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

GoPro iOS app huge cellular data usage

[ New ]

Hi there,

Between Septer 28th and today (October 12th), my iOS GoPro app has used 13.2 GB of cellular data.

To be clear, I have not uploaded anything to the cloud. I have just downloaded footage from the camera into the app.

I have in the meantime disabled the use of cellular data within the app settings but I would nevertheless like to know why this has happened. 

Thank you.

GoPro

Re: GoPro iOS app huge cellular data usage

[ New ]

Hello, @royalridge52238. The only situation that the app could have used up data is when it was set to upload media to the Cloud. This is considering that you have an active GoPro Subscription. Simply pairing with the camera or importing media from the camera to the app, or from the app to your phone should not consume any data. Let us know if it continues to happen even with the use of cellular data disabled. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

My gopro hero 7 black did the same thing, I have no cloud storage set up. Just turned on the gopro for the first time in 4 or 5 months. Nurned it on approx dec 1 and by dec 4th it used 10.9gb of cellular data.  

Please explain. 

Tourist

[ New ]

note IOS iphone 11

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @hardystoke72606

We have recently released an update for the GoPro App.

After the update, make sure to restart your phone.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
This is soooooo true. I have an iPhone11 pro max, when I connect my GoPro Hero 9 it connects but doesn’t show the WiFi bars on my phone. When I download videos or photos from the GoPro to my iPhone. I used data so much so that I used to use only 11 or 12gbs max a month since I got the go pro I been using 22&23. There needs to be a work around this. It annoys me that the GoPro doesn’t only show as Wi-Fi on my phone cause if it did I could connect it to my car please someone help on this issue?
Tourist

[ New ]

My big concern is what data made up that 10+ gb of data? What exactly was the app doing? This is obviously not a one off occurance.

Please explain,

My second concern is the personal cost to me using this much data.

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

Wow, I just got the Hero 9 30 minutes ago. I connected the Hero 9 to my iPhone 11 Pro Max and 30min later I got the notification from TMobile that I ran out of 5Gb of data,... Going into the settings and seeing which app used so much data, GoPro indicates 4Gb!!! This in 30min.

Is there a solution for this yet? I have no data on the newly acquired SD card so nothing to upload either

Tourist

[ New ]

The same thing just happened to me over the weekend, fired up the gopro and used the gopro app on my phone so i could see the position of the gopro, and a little bit later received a text from ATT that I've used all of my data for the month --- the app used 30GB and some of my rollover data that I had, luckily I wasn't charged.  WTF is happening here?  I don't have any sort of cloud subscription, and my ATT log and my cellular data log on the iphone showed it was the gopro app that used all the data.  For now I turned off cellular for the gopro app, how do we keep this from happening again?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

This has been shared with the team.

We'll post back once we have an update.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
Hi GoPro,

I got the same problem, I run out of data within 2 hours (12.3GB) because of the GoPro 5 Hero Black.
- yesterday I downloaded the app
- I have a iPhone 7 with iOS11
- I don’t have a subscription with GoPro
- I just downloaden 2 photos from my GoPro

I had a lot of stress because first I didn’t know what happens, I thought someone hacked my hotspot.
After I had a look at my data usage I saw GoPro used 12,3GB. I’ve reset my data usage to see what else could eat my data and everything was normal.

A nice Christmas Eve turned out in a stressful one because my wife, friends and I were relying on my data for the car navigation.
Now next day I’m wondering what did GoPro download/ upload with my personal data. This doesn’t feel right... I hope GoPro can explain this soon and come with an acceptable solution.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I just had the same issue.

Opened the gopro app to view a couple videos on my iPhone 11 Pro (from my Gopro hero6) and then I wake up in the morning to find out the app has used 3.5gb mobile data.

I have never used Live Streaming and have never setup Gopro cloud (or whatever it's called).

I don't see any reason why it should have used my entire months data allowance. What was transeffered? Where did it go? 

As I see it now, Gopro owes me $65 for my months data. This is a completely unaccetapble software product which has cost me an entire months data.

Hiker

[ New ]

I had the same issue.

Very worried about kind of data have been uploaded.

Concerned about the recent SolarWinds hack, where a software updated caused a massive nation-wide hack.

Gopro team, I think you have to explian the source of this issue, and give a compensation to whom asked for this issue in the forum

thank you

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem. I have an Old 3+ black. But I only downloaded the app onto my I Pad pro never connected anything. Didn't signed in. 13Gb mobile data used. The battery on my IPad down to 20%. What is the app doing? secretly uploading my private photos ???

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 after 2 weeks, have you received any feedback from the Gopro Staff?

It's a very serious problem that the iOS GoPro App is sending huge unknown data from our devices to an unknown place, after allowing access to our photo library.

Thank you in advance.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

My thoughts on this, cellular data is used:
- auto-upload from app to GoPro Cloud
- download from phone media that are on Cloud (ex: iCloud) to be added in a Story.
- download from GoPro Cloud media to be added to app / to a Story.

If this is done not on Wifi, this consumes cellular data plan.

In the GoPro App Settings / My Account / Account Info / Mobile Upload / Use Cellular Data will only cover point 1 - so it won’t use data to upload to GoPro Cloud.

But if you download iCloud or GoPro Pro Cloud media to make a Story, and you’re not on Wifi, it will take cellular data.
GoPro

[ New ]
and of course live streaming.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Haindash, 

Thanks for the response, but that is not the issue people have had.

With nothing turned on for uploading for streaming or such, no cloud account,  The gopro app used a very large amount of cellular data.

We would like gopro to explain what was in this data. It should be fairly easy to track since it is tied to devices/accounts etc.

Please adviser how to escalate this query.

Since nothing came down to the phone, it appears to be data up.

Blair Calgary

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi @hardystoke72606
Yes I'm getting that there's maybe something fishy in this story.
I was listing the situations in which it could use cellular data, but indeed the reports I'm reading on this thread are strange. I'm seeing all reports are on iOS app - don't see Android here.
I will check back with the Team. As we don't test with phones that have sim cards - test phones, so on wi-fi connection - this is something we haven't seen before.
Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you @haindash for double checking this issue.

In my scenario, this is all I did:

1. Open GoPro App for just controlling and previewing the camera for a short time.

I never sign in gopro Cloud. It was the first time I used the App since many months.

2. Close the App (may be continues in background)

3. Continue using my iPhone

After 20 min ...

4. Recieve SMS from cellular operator, saying "you spent all cellular data of current period". 15 Gb!

5. Check Data from iPhone properties and see this (I just uncheck Cellular Data of GoPro App after receiving SMS):

IMG_7512A042E380-1.jpeg

I think we need to be sure that no personal data have been hijacked, and some compensation for our cellular bill.

Thank you, best regards

Carlos. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is EXACTLY what happened to me 5 days into my cell cycle! All I was using it for was as a remote to see what i was filming and start stop - all done in my house w wifi - so annoying...

GoPro

[ New ]

@adeptrange024 @royalridge52238 @litusm2 @hardystoke72606 @agileridge2587 

Adding something to my previous list - firmware update could also happen, but it’s like 90 - 150MB.

We will dig. Thanks for sharing your info, I will share back.

Although I can investigate with the dev and QA Team, I can't do anything for the compensation aspect, please check with Customer Support on that as I can't be of help on that part.

Tourist

[ New ]

I unpacked my GPPro Hero 8 yesterday, downloaded the app and within a few hours I had 3 notices from Verizon that I had more than tripled my usage (I'm only 5 days into my billing cycle) and they charged me $45!  I uploaded nothing.  I would love to understand why this happened and how it can be prevented in the future.  I have an iphone 11 Pro.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi,

Thank you, I will make sure to share all of your steps and feedback so we investigate this strange matter.

Sorry about all that.

GoPro

[ New ]

@royalridge52238 @sprinkles2020 @adeptrange024 @litusm2 @hardystoke72606 

Could share with me the OS that you are running.
Note that currently GoPro App requires at least iOS13.

Tourist

[ New ]

Morning,

I'm always up to date on IOS updates so would have been on 14.2.1 when this issue arose. Iphone 11

iOS 14.2.1
This update has no published CVE entries.
iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12, and iPhone 12 mini19 Nov 2020

Currently on 

iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3iPhone 6s and later, iPad Air 2 and later, iPad mini 4 and later, and iPod touch (7th generation)

14 Dec 2020

Thanks for the help.  Bugs happen, just need to understand what happened to maintain trust.  Wouldn't want my photo collection to become public domain, although I doubt the society mags would be interested, my kids might be crushed with shame ;)

Tourist

[ New ]
Whatever was current at the time I posted, iOS 14+. You didn't tag me but I commented also that it sucked my entire allotment of cell data. Clearly there is a problem and we aren't all isolated incidents. I too afraid to even open the app up now and use it
Tourist

[ New ]

I am running iOS 14.2 on my iPhone 11 Pro.

Hiker

[ New ]

iOS 14.3

I'm always try to be the most updated possible of OS's versions

Tourist

[ New ]

Good Afternoon,

i just wanted to chime in here, so I can follow this thread for a solution. I used my GoPro Hero5 Black after several months of nonuse on 1/3/2020. I used my app to start/stop my recording as I was wearing the GoPro on my head for filming. After a few minutes of recording, i received a text from Verizon noting that I had used 50% of my data. A few minutes later, I got another text saying that I was down to 25%. I found this very weird. All of a sudden, I was down to 10%!!!! This all in a matter of 10 minutes. I immediately turned off cellular data on my iPhone for the GoPro app and it appears to have stopped all data usage.  

Here are my details...

- no GoPro subscription

- iPhone Xs on iOS 14.3

- GoPro app v7.3 (4421)

- I was recording in 4k 30fps at the time of this happening

- I did have 'Send Personalization Data' checked when this was happening (perhaps the issue????) - it is now unchecked

Thank you!

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

Thank you for the detailed information, I've gathered all user feedback on this matter in a bug report for the team to investigate.
Will keep you posted.
Tourist

[ New ]

I'm glad to see that this issue has gained momentum and is being looked into. I join the other in their hope that GoPro will also provide feedback on the nature of the data being up or downloaded.

Tourist

[ New ]
The thing is someone from go pro already posted that they were already looking into 2 weeks ago, once it gets posted on a main media website about this issue I guarantee their techs would be working on it 24/7 until the issue is resolved. This could turn into lawsuits...
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello,

Did you happen to onboard the Hero 8 to the GoPro App? Meaning did you pair the camera with the app? If so, do you remember if you were asked to perform a Firmware Update? 

Thank you,

Sirio 

Tourist

[ New ]
I paired my camera and the app. I don't remember a firmware update. Could have been one but I can't remember.
Tourist

[ New ]
I'm out a good bit of $$ on their mistake. :/
Tourist

[ New ]
I am running iOS 14.2 on my iPhone 11 Pro.
Hiker

[ New ]
Any news or update? This is a very serious issue
GoPro

[ New ]

Our team is looking into this. We'll keep everyone posted as soon as new information is available. We appreciate your patience.

Tourist

[ New ]

This happened to me as well. I now have no data left for the remainder of my billing cycle and I am only 10 days into the period. So pissed.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same thing for me.  I first panicked when I saw the text that data was being used at this rapid rate.  I have a 6GB plan and I NEVER go over.  I'm only a couple days in on my plan as well.  I thought that someone had hacked or added a device to my plan somehow.  Turns out, it all came from my GoPro.  I hadn't turned in on in a while, but I did today and reconnected it with my app.  This used 24GB of my cellular data!  It used all of my rollover data that was saved up and ten additional GB.  This is going to cost me at least $150 in data overages and probably more as I have 24 days left in this month's data cycle.  Something has to be done about this.  Absolutely ridiculous.

GoPro

[ New ]

@pipinghotarbys 

Sorry about that, following many user feedback on this topic a bug has been reported and the team is investigating the issue.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I've had the same issue and it's really upsetting not being able to use the Gopro App to download photos/videos without using an absurd amount of mobile data.

Tourist

[ New ]

So I got hit AGAIN by Go Pro...for the past 2 Sundays, my GoPro App has sucked over 10GB each time.  I am now about $95 into overages on my cellular plan.  I will take blame for this past Sunday...I used my GoPro while scuba diving and somehow it connected and used 10GB.  I have no idea what it did or how it happened.  The video I recorded isn't even showing up in my Go App Media list so I don't think it even downloaded.  I'm frustrated, angry, and broke.  Come on GoPro...please fix this issue or else reimburse us back the money you keep sucking from us!!

I am using a brand new Hero 8 and an iPhone 11 Pro (all software is updated).

Tourist

[ New ]
If anyone having this issue hasn’t done so already, I would highly suggest you turn off cellular data for the GoPro and Quik apps on your phone. This is what helped me prevent them from sucking anymore data from me.

GoPro really needs to solve/prevent this ASAP. I’m not sure if I’m more upset about the data they used or the fact that I have no idea what data they uploaded/downloaded to or from my phone.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Same thing happened to me, yesterday was day 1 of my billing cycle and saw that gopro used up all my data plan for the month. Already turned off gopro from my phone’s cellular data settings but can’t help but wonder if the app uploads anything using wifi? Thinking of deleting the app to feel secured.
Tourist

[ New ]
@haindash when can we expect answers? GoPro sucked another 10GB this past weekend. I"m now out about $95 because of this problem. For a product with such a huge customer base, I'd expect answers by now. Week #2 and counting.....
Tourist

[ New ]
Good call on turning off Quik cell access, I had just turned off GoPro. I refuse to use these apps again until they get this fixed, it is a bummer because that is the best part of using the go pro. Now I just hook it up directly to the computer.
GoPro

[ New ]

Can you please do me a favor and go to Settings on your GoPro App -> Get Support -> Send Feedback (when email pop-up) under "Subject" put "DATA LOSS" all in caps. And please answer the following:

• What country, Timezone is the phone set to?
  • Did you update the GoPro app to this version or was this your first time installing GoPro
  • Do you kill the GoPro app after you're done using it?
  • Do you have a GoPro account? If so, are you logged in?

I'd love to work with you on this issue

Thank you,

Sirio

GoPro

[ New ]

Can you please do me a favor and go to Settings on your GoPro App -> Get Support -> Send Feedback (when email pop-up) under "Subject" put "DATA LOSS" all in caps. And please answer the following:

• What country, Timezone is the phone set to?
  • Did you update the GoPro app to this version or was this your first time installing GoPro
  • Do you kill the GoPro app after you're done using it?
  • Do you have a GoPro account? If so, are you logged in?

I'd love to work with you on this issue

Thank you,

Sirio