Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Sightseer

Re: GoPro iOS app huge cellular data usage

[ New ]

Same thing for me.  I first panicked when I saw the text that data was being used at this rapid rate.  I have a 6GB plan and I NEVER go over.  I'm only a couple days in on my plan as well.  I thought that someone had hacked or added a device to my plan somehow.  Turns out, it all came from my GoPro.  I hadn't turned in on in a while, but I did today and reconnected it with my app.  This used 24GB of my cellular data!  It used all of my rollover data that was saved up and ten additional GB.  This is going to cost me at least $150 in data overages and probably more as I have 24 days left in this month's data cycle.  Something has to be done about this.  Absolutely ridiculous.

GoPro

[ New ]

@pipinghotarbys 

Sorry about that, following many user feedback on this topic a bug has been reported and the team is investigating the issue.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I've had the same issue and it's really upsetting not being able to use the Gopro App to download photos/videos without using an absurd amount of mobile data.

Tourist

[ New ]

So I got hit AGAIN by Go Pro...for the past 2 Sundays, my GoPro App has sucked over 10GB each time.  I am now about $95 into overages on my cellular plan.  I will take blame for this past Sunday...I used my GoPro while scuba diving and somehow it connected and used 10GB.  I have no idea what it did or how it happened.  The video I recorded isn't even showing up in my Go App Media list so I don't think it even downloaded.  I'm frustrated, angry, and broke.  Come on GoPro...please fix this issue or else reimburse us back the money you keep sucking from us!!

I am using a brand new Hero 8 and an iPhone 11 Pro (all software is updated).

Tourist

[ New ]
If anyone having this issue hasn’t done so already, I would highly suggest you turn off cellular data for the GoPro and Quik apps on your phone. This is what helped me prevent them from sucking anymore data from me.

GoPro really needs to solve/prevent this ASAP. I’m not sure if I’m more upset about the data they used or the fact that I have no idea what data they uploaded/downloaded to or from my phone.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Same thing happened to me, yesterday was day 1 of my billing cycle and saw that gopro used up all my data plan for the month. Already turned off gopro from my phone’s cellular data settings but can’t help but wonder if the app uploads anything using wifi? Thinking of deleting the app to feel secured.
Tourist

[ New ]
@haindash when can we expect answers? GoPro sucked another 10GB this past weekend. I"m now out about $95 because of this problem. For a product with such a huge customer base, I'd expect answers by now. Week #2 and counting.....
Tourist

[ New ]
Good call on turning off Quik cell access, I had just turned off GoPro. I refuse to use these apps again until they get this fixed, it is a bummer because that is the best part of using the go pro. Now I just hook it up directly to the computer.