Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Re: GoPro iOS app huge cellular data usage

[ New ]

I'm disappointed to see that - while this has been requested by numerous individuals and on numerous occasions - GoPro is yet to disclose the nature of the uncommanded data uploads (or downloads) occurring through their app. It's safe to say that reasonable time has gone by for them to thoroughly look into this, to communicate on the outcome of their investigation in detail and to correct the issue. It's not only a matter of unnecessary mobile data costs being incurred, but potentially also one related to GDPR, at least in Europe.

Tourist

[ New ]
I’d support that. I had 113gb of data transfer to them.... 🤷🏻‍♂️ Utter madness...
GoPro

[ New ]
@scottp733
I will reach out to you via private message on this forum to try to gather more information.
Thank you
Sightseer

[ New ]
I don’t understand how this topic went silent so easily. This issue is the biggest GDPR breach I have ever seen. I have no active subscription and I was not even logged in when I wanted to download some photos from my gopro to my phone. All my roaming mobile data is gone, although downloading the photos from the camera to my phone seems to work without an Internet connection as well. So what exactly used 4.2 GB of mobile data?

I started a one month trip through Europe and today was just my second day in a foreign country. Now I have no more roaming mobile data, and since you can’t travel without Internet, I’ll have a lot to pay at the end of my trip.

After reading this forum, I checked my app version and it is 7.3.2. To be honest, I really don’t care what version I am using because this shouldn’t have happened anyway. I’ve never been so happy that we have GDPR here in Europe to protect us from such privacy issues. This privacy breach should definitely be reported and further investigated by the authorities.