Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Re: GoPro iOS app huge cellular data usage

[ New ]
@ciaparat
1. United States, Eastern (NY) Time zone
2. I installed the GoPro app about 2.5 weeks ago and ran all of the updates then. Nothing has been updated since.
3. I usually scuba dive on Sundays. I turn on the GoPro, test, check batteries, and set it up. When I finish diving, I open the app so I can view the video. I've never been able to successfully view the videos on my phone. I end up watching on the GoPro itself. Getting the files uploaded to my GoPro is extremely difficult. I do not leave the GoPro app running.
4. I have a GoPro Account and I paid $49 for the annual subscription. I am currently logged in.
Tourist

[ New ]
@ciaparat

Done.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue.  This is ALL GoPro.  135Mb each, 119 times for a total of 16G in less than 1hr.   I wasn't uploading to the cloud.  This is inexcusable.  In general, your cameras are brilliant, but your software ...it is abysmal.

01/08/2021 01:52PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

01/08/2021 01:51PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

01/08/2021 01:51PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

01/08/2021 01:50PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

01/08/2021 01:50PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

01/08/2021 01:49PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

Mobile data

135.0 MB

Mobile data

135.0 MB

01/08/2021 01:48PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

And so on…

01/08/2021 01:17PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

01/08/2021 01:16PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

01/08/2021 01:16PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

01/08/2021 01:15PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

Mobile data

135.0 MB

Mobile data

135.0 MB

Mobile data

135.0 MB

01/08/2021 01:14PM

Mobile data

135.0 MB

Mobile data

135.0 MB

Mobile data

135.0 MB

GoPro

[ New ]

@jenren81 @sprinkles2020 @royalridge52238 @schachman @hardystoke72606 @pietromagn7786 @jaimiepeeters @toughwater83158  @litusm2 @adeptrange024 

Sorry about that, the team is working on this matter trying to get more logs and info.

If you can answer, Sirio has asked some questions to help us solve this problem.

Can you please do me a favor and go to Settings on your GoPro App -> Get Support -> Send Feedback (when email pop-up) under "Subject" put "DATA LOSS" all in caps. And please answer the following:

• What country, Timezone is the phone set to?
  • Did you update the GoPro app to this version or was this your first time installing GoPro
  • Do you kill the GoPro app after you're done using it?
  • Do you have a GoPro account? If so, are you logged in?

I'd love to work with you on this issue

Thank you,

Sirio

GoPro

[ New ]

Can you please check and see if you're using "Wifi Assist"?
How to turn off iOS 9's Wi-Fi assist to save your data plan | Macworld

Tourist

[ New ]

@ciaparat 

Wifi assist is enabled.

Tourist

[ New ]

sent as requested

Tourist

[ New ]

hmm mine on as well. Had that off in the past.

Tourist

[ New ]
-WiFi assist is on, it says 119mb right under WiFi assist
-Phone set to USA, MST
-It was my first time using the GoPro and the app for maybe 6months, not the first time using it and unsure if the app has updated since the last time I used it
-I always completely shut and kill the app, the data overage alerts were happening while I was using it
-I have a GoPro account but not the paid version, was not logged in.
I'm not going to open the app again until this is solved, I don't want any more data overages.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi,

Thank you for all your feedback.

We worked on a special testing build to gather logs and check unusual cellular data activities. Getting to the bottom of this.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

Tourist

[ New ]
Oh hun please this issue has been going on since the launch of your hero 9... I’m actually going to send out this post to some sites, that way you guys can get your act together. Cause your a camera company that takes over a month to address an issue that could totally distort ur reputation or bring you legal problems. You guys are draining all of people data in what is suppose to last a month in days. And every week it’s the samething.... we are looking into this... go pro team is on it... we got a special thing going on this time. I would be embarrassed, to work for a company like that a issue so big that the techs take a months in order to address it. This is a joke this is the first and last camera I will ever buy from GoPro. Terrible platform, days of uploading to cloud, and when you download to your phone it eats all you data.... you guys win in marketing but delivery man you guys are one of the worst ones lol
Sightseer

[ New ]

Hello, GoPro!  I was slapped with a $180 data overage on my cell phone bill from Dec 5, 2020 due to the gopro app chewing through my data in less than 15 minutes (I had everything turned off on the phone for production in the field, so didn't receive any notifications on the overage as it was happening, but my wife did and blew me up for it later that night).  I looked at cloud saving, and I don't have an account set up, and I don't have any sort of data assistance enabled on the app at all.  My provider, AT&T, says that this is your issue (I have spent 6 sessions of 2 hours a piece with them to get some resolution), not thiers, and have taken the liberty of stealing my money.  Please help with this as it's costing people terribly.  Honestly, I'll need to receive some recompense for this horrible issue, I shouldn't have to pay the bill caused by your software.

I was using a GoPro Hero 6 Black and an iPhone 11Pro.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Just now on phone support with GoPro. They told me to go to settings and turn off the GoPro Cellular usage in two different locations (this isn't in the app, but i8n the phone settings). This is a very problematic as people will not know to do this, but it's at least a solution to the problem, but not any sort of recompense.
Tourist

[ New ]

I had the same issue. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Our team is aware of this issue and looking further into it.

As a workaround, you can stop the GoPro app from using cellular data on your iOS device. To do this, go to the “Cellular” option in iOS Settings, scroll down to the Cellular Data section, and tap the green toggle next to the GoPro app. This will stop data downloads by the GoPro app over cellular networks and data will be downloaded only when connected to a Wi-Fi network.

In-app experiences will only be impacted when working with local photos and videos when there is no Wi-Fi connection. An alternative workaround that has helped some users is to block access to iOS Photos by the GoPro app. To do this, go to iOS Settings and search for Privacy. Select “Photos” and change the setting for the GoPro App from “All Photos” to “None”.

We'll keep everyone posted as soon as new information is available.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Tourist

[ New ]

Dear GoPro Support,  

I was shocked to read this whole thread and your responses to your customers. By know we know few things:

• I had my phone battery drained in a very critical moment, alone in the mountains! 
  • I had my data plan emptied 28 days before my billing cycle which caused me 20 euro just by now and I have no data left. I could not imagine what could have happened if this occured on roaming. 
  • Your responses by now are so irresponsible and ignorant that this story should go immediately on all media. 
  • Last but MOST IMPORTANT: We are not told and no evidence is provided what data was uploaded and WHERE! 

I want to know what 19.5 GB data was transferred out. I have very company confidential data on my phone and that you're advising to turn off the access to our photos and videos speaks to me that they were STOLEN! I don't even have account logged in the APP. 

How would you compensate your customers? When should we expect evidences of what was uploaded and where? 

gopro1.jpg
I have three emails configured in Outlook... 

gopro2.jpg

Hiker

[ New ]

@aenriquez 

you are wrtiting :.....  This will stop data downloads by the GoPro app over cellular networks.....

Does that mean that UPLOADS are also blocked, because this is the issue here !!??

Uploading data from a customers device without his/her clear agreement is an absolutely clear violation of the EU-DSGVO...it is in fact a crime by european GDPR-law !

Now it takes only a few customers going to court, and the company is smashed , at least banned from the eu....

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have a 10 GB plan and lost 9 of 10 GB  within minutes few days ago (were'nt even logged in into the app!). Didn't really understand why the data loss occured, bought another 1 GB (8€), lost it within seconds again. I then found this thread, disabled data for the GoPro app and bought another 1 GB (=16€ expenses now because of this) which now wasn't eaten by the GoPro app. To get back to my 9 GB where I left off, I would have to pay another 64€. So all in all, GoPro basically caused me costs of 80€ if i need my full data volume this billing month. Please contact me via email (it's in my profile, should be visible to moderators / support staff) on how you plan to compensate me for the damage caused.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Same problem here, used 4GB in less than an hour transferring a video from my brand new Hero 8 Black to the Quick app. This is my first experience with GoPro, first camera, first time using the apps etc. So far Im not impressed and am highly disappointed, especially after the ass chewing my wife gave me for using all of our shared data.....well I didn’t use it, GoPro did. I thought you guys were on top of the action camera market? If this is the top, good thing you aren’t at the bottom huh?
Does any of this software malfunction have anything to do with your pending lawsuit with Contour IP Holding on the alleged Patent infringement regarding wireless streaming technology?

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/contour-ip-holding-llc-v-gopro-inc-70318/

Why has this been going on since October 2020 and there is still no hint of a resolution?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi all,

Thank you for your reports and feedback and sorry again for this issue and the back and forth.

This issue will be fixed with a 7.3.2 update. 

Here's what was happening:

We learned that upon a new install, the GoPro App downloaded GoPro media from the GoPro Album located in the iOS Photos library - in the Cloud.

The 7.3.2 update removes this media migration step.

Note that:
This new release will fix this for all users that have NOT experienced the issue.
If the migration has already started, it will NOT be fixed by simply upgrading to 7.3.2.

You will have to either:
a) Follow the steps already provided to turn off cellular data  for the GoPro app and let the downloads complete over wifi or
b) Once 7.3.2 is released uninstall and reinstall the app.

7.3.2 has been submitted to Apple for review, it should be reaching the AppStore as soon as Apple validates it. We're hoping two or three days.

Tourist

[ New ]
So, what if my GoPro Album was empty???? What did it download then? It used 14 GB in a matter of minutes and I did not have any photos/videos in my GoPro album when this occurred. I appreciate the explanation of what they think happened, but this is not what happened on my end.
Tourist

[ New ]
@haindash wrote:

Here's what was happening:

We learned that upon a new install, the GoPro App downloaded GoPro media from the GoPro Album located in the iOS Photos library - in the Cloud.

The 7.3.2 update removes this media migration step.

GoPro Support, 

THIS IS B$HIT.

First - If the app downloaded something why my storage has not moved a bit?

Second - why is my GoPro album in iOS Photos not cached now?

Third - my GoPro Album is 135MB not 19.5 GB! 

I am using Apple Dev Console now to inspect the logs on my phone and you better tell us the truth.

Tourist

[ New ]

Impossible. My albums are empty, except for 1 picture, as I never use the album function.

Tourist

[ New ]

@haindash  While I am pleased to hear that the problem was located and a patch is being provided (to those who are new), I would like to know:

1. what data GoPro uploaded from my phone,
  2. where the stolen data is currently being stored,
  3. and Go Pro's plan to wipe stolen my data from your cloud. 

At the time my data was stolen by GoPro, I had one tiny GoPro video (I had just gotten the camera and used it for the first time that day) so I feel certain that other non-Go Pro related files may have been uploaded.

I would also like to understand GoPro's plan to reimburse all of us who were impacted the $100s of dollars we are out.  I am now terrified to use my camera because I no longer trust you.

Tourist

[ New ]

This just happened to me today, on app version 7.3.2 with an empty go pro folder in my photos... 7GB gone!!!! I caught it before it wiped all my data.

What the hell are you people doing! This unacceptable joke of "sorry for the inconvenience" cannot be your official position. Surely you are not so insanely incompetent?

We have consumer protection laws in our country that I guarantee you are subject to. I'll be submitting a complaint asap.

You can't screw people over like this.

What used all that data?? Why is it STILL not fixed??

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi @brendanray32

Did you have 7.3.1 on your phone before 7.3.2?
Or was it a clean install of 7.3.2? Only the clean install of 7.3.2 would stop the migration process.
But I know that you've mentioned your GoPro folder is empty...
Just trying to gather more info. Very sorry :(
Sightseer

[ New ]

😵😵😵 40gb without anything in the cloud 

IMG_1443.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro Support, you have to raise this issue with your Management and come out with statement on at least two topics:
- What data was uploaded and where?
- How do you compensate users (I paid 30 euro because of this!!!) 

Because you're pretending not to see this messages I will give you due date and I will fire the case for privacy leakage and also will send this whole thread to all tech new sites. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @haindash 

I can't remember but I doubt I had any prvious versions on this phone. Only on my old phone.

And even if I did originally have the 7.3.1 version on this phone, the'migration process' has never happened before?

I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, but since the 'official' reason makes no sense, I'm starting to worry about what data was transferred. I don't know how to check, but somebody else will...

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same thing hapend to me. 10 GB gone in minutes after installiiing the app and blocked by my phone provider.

I installed the app juas a week ago.

Any way to repport the app to Apple? If a lot do that, and maybe GoPro will listen op complatins from them? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mortent0405

Were you able to go through the information shared above?

Do you already have the 7.3.2 version installed?

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

@aragon1006  Yes I have 7.3.2.

What information? I have not read all the 11 pages of posts.

I have now turned off celllar data for the GoPro app.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mortent0405

Sorry about that.

Did you do an update or a clean install of the app?

Are you still experiencing the issue after installing the newest version?

Thanks!

Ej

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi,

The first fix we made was on 7.3.2 but it required a clean install of the app (delete and install again) for it to work. 
Update 8.0 is also coming up with some more safeguards on this to avoid this situation.

Tourist

[ New ]
Installed fresh last weekend 7.3.2 on latest iOS and iPhone 12 Pro and it zapped 25GB on cellular. App had not been installed on this phone before. Just amazed that this is even possible without some kind of warning, even after months of knowing about the problem. And that AT&T and Apple both also wouldn’t have some warning is also surprising. It was About 15 GB in 15 minutes and then the next 10GB over the next 3 hours. What could this data possibly even be? Gopro album is empty, and I don’t have GoPro cloud. One strange thing is that grayed out check box under GoPro subscription shows that “mobile upload” is on. But since I don’t have subscription I can’t change that option.
Tourist

[ New ]

Honestly, at this point I'm quite reluctant to even use my GoPro cameras knowing that it will probably burn through my monthly data allowance in a matter of mintues. I'm pretty sure that's not why I bought them...

If what is stated above is correct, the problem seems far from being resolved.

Tourist

[ New ]

I would say it one more last time before I fire a case. I have all the logs from my phone. And my photos were uploaded to unknown destinations.

I will remind you about the EU Law.

EULaw.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]
Had the app on my phone. Not used in over 2 years. Bought 2 reconditioned hero 7s. Re-installed the app on my phone (I now know is version 7.2). Within 3 days 113gb of data has been uploaded to go pro. No idea what this is. VERY WORRIED my personal photos of my family are now somewhere stored on a go pro server without my explicit permission. Money aside, this is a series breach of data. Go Pro, you customer service channels to discuss this are non existent. I require someone to contact me immediately to discuss this serious issue.
IMG_6657.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Do we know if this is all upload data, or is some of it download data to iphone? The reason i ask, my iPhone storage was completely used up at the same time my data usage was used up....all in the last 3 days of re-activating the go pro app (version 7.2)...

GoPro

[ New ]
@tfracing

Very sorry about this.
We made two fixes to prevent this from happening again, one in 7.3.2 update and one in 8.0
We've had no reports on this for users on 8.0 as I see that you are still on 7.2 sadly that's why you had this problem.

This was caused by the GoPro App downloading media from the GoPro Album located in the iOS Photos library - in the Cloud. The fix removes the media migration step. This is only GoPro media though.

Please update to the latest version of the app.
Thank you
Tourist

[ New ]

"This was caused by the GoPro App downloading media from the GoPro Album located in the iOS Photos library - in the Cloud. The fix removes the media migration step. This is only GoPro media though."

This is bull**bleep**, I have only 230 MB of videos in that Album but GoPro App UPLODAED 19.5 GB? And my photos were exactly 20 GB on my ALL albums on the phone. You need to tell us where are our PERSONAL photos and how you will COMPENSATE us? 

Tourist

[ New ]
I will need proof. You’ve breached serious data laws. Where can I see this photo library album? I don’t recall having 113gb of footage uploaded anywhere. My footage is my footage. I stored it locally on SD cards and private folders on my laptop.
Tourist

[ New ]

Ive checked, i don't have a GoPro Album in the cloud

Tourist

[ New ]
Has anyone had an official reply from GoPro and explanation as to what information was taken? Is everyone satisfied with what they’ve been told? I sent an email in to GoPro support as instructed by GoPro in this topic thread and had no response at all. This was 3 weeks ago...

My question was similar - what exactly was taken from my device to the amount of 113Gb of data. At the point of it being taken I didn’t have a GoPro album on my device, so that explanation by GoPro doesn’t make any sense. I asked for more clarity on what they mean, and I’ve had nothing back...
Tourist

[ New ]

The only reply I've ever received from GoPro was that they are sorry and that I need to stop using the app and reload an updated version.  I'm still wondering what they are doing with the pics they stole from my phone of my children (because I feel certain they took more than they said they did!!).  I am most unsatisfied with how this has been handled.  It seems that ignoring the problem has been the path of least resistance for them.  Has anyone else gotten a more satisfactory response?

Tourist

[ New ]
It’s insane. Most people are probably lucky they have unlimited plans. But this month I got hit with $50 overages because that unexpected download. I’m sure others have tons more in charges that they don’t even realize were because of this insane app download. It’s also interesting that apple or At&T don’t have anything in place to throw up a warning flag when 10gb get used within an hour. Just wait until 5G. How much can you download then without someone noticing right away.
Tourist

[ New ]

I just bought a Hero 9 a few days ago (late May 2021).  I installed the latest version of the Quik App (8.5) (which supposedly has some fixes for this issue), but I've had over 4GB of cellular data used by the App.  I did not explicitly elect to upload any videos to anywhere, though I do see in my settings that "Mobile Upload" was enabled, and even if I had elected it I certainly would not have expected GoPro to allow this to happen over cellular without me very explicitly electing it.  (I see the option to "Use Cellular Data" is off.)

If the App is trying to upload my media, I don't see it on the site anywhere.  Perhaps I don't know all the corners to look in.  I looked in the "Media Library" which is empty.

Seeing this thread I am further shocked that this issue has been known and being worked on for many months, and yet still clearly not solved even though plenty have people have posted useful data about it.

Overall I have been very disappointed with the bugs in the camera and the app.  I'm strongly considering returning it.  Until two days ago when I got my camera I had a great opinion of GoPro.  Now, after experiencing through bug after bug, I'm starting to have serious doubts.

If anyone at GoPro wants more information from me on this or other bugs I've seen, please email me.

Tourist

[ New ]
I cannot use the app now. No way! No confidence in this company. There’s been no detailed explanation of what this is, how it happened and why. I’ve had no direct response from Go Pro to me personally through the email we were asked to send in, nor this thread, to any of my continual requests for further information. The company is a joke.