Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Re: GoPro iOS app huge cellular data usage

[ New ]

The same thing just happened to me over the weekend, fired up the gopro and used the gopro app on my phone so i could see the position of the gopro, and a little bit later received a text from ATT that I've used all of my data for the month --- the app used 30GB and some of my rollover data that I had, luckily I wasn't charged.  WTF is happening here?  I don't have any sort of cloud subscription, and my ATT log and my cellular data log on the iphone showed it was the gopro app that used all the data.  For now I turned off cellular for the gopro app, how do we keep this from happening again?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

This has been shared with the team.

We'll post back once we have an update.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
Hi GoPro,

I got the same problem, I run out of data within 2 hours (12.3GB) because of the GoPro 5 Hero Black.
- yesterday I downloaded the app
- I have a iPhone 7 with iOS11
- I don’t have a subscription with GoPro
- I just downloaden 2 photos from my GoPro

I had a lot of stress because first I didn’t know what happens, I thought someone hacked my hotspot.
After I had a look at my data usage I saw GoPro used 12,3GB. I’ve reset my data usage to see what else could eat my data and everything was normal.

A nice Christmas Eve turned out in a stressful one because my wife, friends and I were relying on my data for the car navigation.
Now next day I’m wondering what did GoPro download/ upload with my personal data. This doesn’t feel right... I hope GoPro can explain this soon and come with an acceptable solution.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I just had the same issue.

Opened the gopro app to view a couple videos on my iPhone 11 Pro (from my Gopro hero6) and then I wake up in the morning to find out the app has used 3.5gb mobile data.

I have never used Live Streaming and have never setup Gopro cloud (or whatever it's called).

I don't see any reason why it should have used my entire months data allowance. What was transeffered? Where did it go? 

As I see it now, Gopro owes me $65 for my months data. This is a completely unaccetapble software product which has cost me an entire months data.

Hiker

[ New ]

I had the same issue.

Very worried about kind of data have been uploaded.

Concerned about the recent SolarWinds hack, where a software updated caused a massive nation-wide hack.

Gopro team, I think you have to explian the source of this issue, and give a compensation to whom asked for this issue in the forum

thank you

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem. I have an Old 3+ black. But I only downloaded the app onto my I Pad pro never connected anything. Didn't signed in. 13Gb mobile data used. The battery on my IPad down to 20%. What is the app doing? secretly uploading my private photos ???

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 after 2 weeks, have you received any feedback from the Gopro Staff?

It's a very serious problem that the iOS GoPro App is sending huge unknown data from our devices to an unknown place, after allowing access to our photo library.

Thank you in advance.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

My thoughts on this, cellular data is used:
- auto-upload from app to GoPro Cloud
- download from phone media that are on Cloud (ex: iCloud) to be added in a Story.
- download from GoPro Cloud media to be added to app / to a Story.

If this is done not on Wifi, this consumes cellular data plan.

In the GoPro App Settings / My Account / Account Info / Mobile Upload / Use Cellular Data will only cover point 1 - so it won’t use data to upload to GoPro Cloud.

But if you download iCloud or GoPro Pro Cloud media to make a Story, and you’re not on Wifi, it will take cellular data.