Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Re: GoPro iOS app huge cellular data usage

[ New ]

I had the same issue. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Our team is aware of this issue and looking further into it.

As a workaround, you can stop the GoPro app from using cellular data on your iOS device. To do this, go to the “Cellular” option in iOS Settings, scroll down to the Cellular Data section, and tap the green toggle next to the GoPro app. This will stop data downloads by the GoPro app over cellular networks and data will be downloaded only when connected to a Wi-Fi network.

In-app experiences will only be impacted when working with local photos and videos when there is no Wi-Fi connection. An alternative workaround that has helped some users is to block access to iOS Photos by the GoPro app. To do this, go to iOS Settings and search for Privacy. Select “Photos” and change the setting for the GoPro App from “All Photos” to “None”.

We'll keep everyone posted as soon as new information is available.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Tourist

[ New ]

Dear GoPro Support,  

I was shocked to read this whole thread and your responses to your customers. By know we know few things:

• I had my phone battery drained in a very critical moment, alone in the mountains! 
  • I had my data plan emptied 28 days before my billing cycle which caused me 20 euro just by now and I have no data left. I could not imagine what could have happened if this occured on roaming. 
  • Your responses by now are so irresponsible and ignorant that this story should go immediately on all media. 
  • Last but MOST IMPORTANT: We are not told and no evidence is provided what data was uploaded and WHERE! 

I want to know what 19.5 GB data was transferred out. I have very company confidential data on my phone and that you're advising to turn off the access to our photos and videos speaks to me that they were STOLEN! I don't even have account logged in the APP. 

How would you compensate your customers? When should we expect evidences of what was uploaded and where? 

gopro1.jpg
I have three emails configured in Outlook... 

gopro2.jpg

Hiker

[ New ]

@aenriquez 

you are wrtiting :.....  This will stop data downloads by the GoPro app over cellular networks.....

Does that mean that UPLOADS are also blocked, because this is the issue here !!??

Uploading data from a customers device without his/her clear agreement is an absolutely clear violation of the EU-DSGVO...it is in fact a crime by european GDPR-law !

Now it takes only a few customers going to court, and the company is smashed , at least banned from the eu....

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have a 10 GB plan and lost 9 of 10 GB  within minutes few days ago (were'nt even logged in into the app!). Didn't really understand why the data loss occured, bought another 1 GB (8€), lost it within seconds again. I then found this thread, disabled data for the GoPro app and bought another 1 GB (=16€ expenses now because of this) which now wasn't eaten by the GoPro app. To get back to my 9 GB where I left off, I would have to pay another 64€. So all in all, GoPro basically caused me costs of 80€ if i need my full data volume this billing month. Please contact me via email (it's in my profile, should be visible to moderators / support staff) on how you plan to compensate me for the damage caused.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Same problem here, used 4GB in less than an hour transferring a video from my brand new Hero 8 Black to the Quick app. This is my first experience with GoPro, first camera, first time using the apps etc. So far Im not impressed and am highly disappointed, especially after the ass chewing my wife gave me for using all of our shared data.....well I didn’t use it, GoPro did. I thought you guys were on top of the action camera market? If this is the top, good thing you aren’t at the bottom huh?
Does any of this software malfunction have anything to do with your pending lawsuit with Contour IP Holding on the alleged Patent infringement regarding wireless streaming technology?

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/contour-ip-holding-llc-v-gopro-inc-70318/

Why has this been going on since October 2020 and there is still no hint of a resolution?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi all,

Thank you for your reports and feedback and sorry again for this issue and the back and forth.

This issue will be fixed with a 7.3.2 update. 

Here's what was happening:

We learned that upon a new install, the GoPro App downloaded GoPro media from the GoPro Album located in the iOS Photos library - in the Cloud.

The 7.3.2 update removes this media migration step.

Note that:
This new release will fix this for all users that have NOT experienced the issue.
If the migration has already started, it will NOT be fixed by simply upgrading to 7.3.2.

You will have to either:
a) Follow the steps already provided to turn off cellular data  for the GoPro app and let the downloads complete over wifi or
b) Once 7.3.2 is released uninstall and reinstall the app.

7.3.2 has been submitted to Apple for review, it should be reaching the AppStore as soon as Apple validates it. We're hoping two or three days.

Tourist

[ New ]
So, what if my GoPro Album was empty???? What did it download then? It used 14 GB in a matter of minutes and I did not have any photos/videos in my GoPro album when this occurred. I appreciate the explanation of what they think happened, but this is not what happened on my end.