Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
GoPro

Re: GoPro iOS app huge cellular data usage

[ New ]
and of course live streaming.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Haindash, 

Thanks for the response, but that is not the issue people have had.

With nothing turned on for uploading for streaming or such, no cloud account,  The gopro app used a very large amount of cellular data.

We would like gopro to explain what was in this data. It should be fairly easy to track since it is tied to devices/accounts etc.

Please adviser how to escalate this query.

Since nothing came down to the phone, it appears to be data up.

Blair Calgary

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi @hardystoke72606
Yes I'm getting that there's maybe something fishy in this story.
I was listing the situations in which it could use cellular data, but indeed the reports I'm reading on this thread are strange. I'm seeing all reports are on iOS app - don't see Android here.
I will check back with the Team. As we don't test with phones that have sim cards - test phones, so on wi-fi connection - this is something we haven't seen before.
Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you @haindash for double checking this issue.

In my scenario, this is all I did:

1. Open GoPro App for just controlling and previewing the camera for a short time.

I never sign in gopro Cloud. It was the first time I used the App since many months.

2. Close the App (may be continues in background)

3. Continue using my iPhone

After 20 min ...

4. Recieve SMS from cellular operator, saying "you spent all cellular data of current period". 15 Gb!

5. Check Data from iPhone properties and see this (I just uncheck Cellular Data of GoPro App after receiving SMS):

IMG_7512A042E380-1.jpeg

I think we need to be sure that no personal data have been hijacked, and some compensation for our cellular bill.

Thank you, best regards

Carlos. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is EXACTLY what happened to me 5 days into my cell cycle! All I was using it for was as a remote to see what i was filming and start stop - all done in my house w wifi - so annoying...

GoPro

[ New ]

@adeptrange024 @royalridge52238 @litusm2 @hardystoke72606 @agileridge2587 

Adding something to my previous list - firmware update could also happen, but it’s like 90 - 150MB.

We will dig. Thanks for sharing your info, I will share back.

Although I can investigate with the dev and QA Team, I can't do anything for the compensation aspect, please check with Customer Support on that as I can't be of help on that part.

Tourist

[ New ]

I unpacked my GPPro Hero 8 yesterday, downloaded the app and within a few hours I had 3 notices from Verizon that I had more than tripled my usage (I'm only 5 days into my billing cycle) and they charged me $45!  I uploaded nothing.  I would love to understand why this happened and how it can be prevented in the future.  I have an iphone 11 Pro.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi,

Thank you, I will make sure to share all of your steps and feedback so we investigate this strange matter.

Sorry about all that.