Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

GoPro iOS app huge cellular data usage

[ New ]

Hi there,

Between Septer 28th and today (October 12th), my iOS GoPro app has used 13.2 GB of cellular data.

To be clear, I have not uploaded anything to the cloud. I have just downloaded footage from the camera into the app.

I have in the meantime disabled the use of cellular data within the app settings but I would nevertheless like to know why this has happened. 

Thank you.

GoPro

Re: GoPro iOS app huge cellular data usage

[ New ]

Hello, @royalridge52238. The only situation that the app could have used up data is when it was set to upload media to the Cloud. This is considering that you have an active GoPro Subscription. Simply pairing with the camera or importing media from the camera to the app, or from the app to your phone should not consume any data. Let us know if it continues to happen even with the use of cellular data disabled. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

My gopro hero 7 black did the same thing, I have no cloud storage set up. Just turned on the gopro for the first time in 4 or 5 months. Nurned it on approx dec 1 and by dec 4th it used 10.9gb of cellular data.  

Please explain. 

Tourist

[ New ]

note IOS iphone 11

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @hardystoke72606

We have recently released an update for the GoPro App.

After the update, make sure to restart your phone.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
This is soooooo true. I have an iPhone11 pro max, when I connect my GoPro Hero 9 it connects but doesn’t show the WiFi bars on my phone. When I download videos or photos from the GoPro to my iPhone. I used data so much so that I used to use only 11 or 12gbs max a month since I got the go pro I been using 22&23. There needs to be a work around this. It annoys me that the GoPro doesn’t only show as Wi-Fi on my phone cause if it did I could connect it to my car please someone help on this issue?
Tourist

[ New ]

My big concern is what data made up that 10+ gb of data? What exactly was the app doing? This is obviously not a one off occurance.

Please explain,

My second concern is the personal cost to me using this much data.

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

Wow, I just got the Hero 9 30 minutes ago. I connected the Hero 9 to my iPhone 11 Pro Max and 30min later I got the notification from TMobile that I ran out of 5Gb of data,... Going into the settings and seeing which app used so much data, GoPro indicates 4Gb!!! This in 30min.

Is there a solution for this yet? I have no data on the newly acquired SD card so nothing to upload either