Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

GoPro app used up cellular data

[ New ]

As others have mentioned in other threads, my GoPro app suddenly ate up all of my cellular data for the month (nearly 7Gbs before I noticed).

In the past week, I opened my GoPro app for about a minute to search for a video of mine (which I didn't find). That was the extent of my use of the app for the last year. While I did have cellular data turned on for the app (which I have now turned off), I think this is something that needs to be fixed. 

Others have mentioned that the app will upload to the cloud on cellular data, but I do not have a subscription, so I shouldn't have a cloud to upload to. When I log in, I am unable to access the settings for the cloud, so clearly my data shouldn't be going there. So why did the app use 7 Gbs of data in the background? I don't even have any new photos/videos on the app! Please resolve this issue.

GoPro

Re: GoPro app used up cellular data

[ New ]

Hi @japowfz1

This issue is fixed in the 7.3.2 update.

Here's what was happening on previous versions:
We learned that upon a new install, the GoPro App downloaded GoPro media from the GoPro Album located in the iOS Photos library - in the Cloud.
The 7.3.2 update removes this media migration step.

Note that:
This new release will fix this for all users that have NOT experienced the issue.
If the migration has already started, it will NOT be fixed by simply upgrading to 7.3.2.

You will have to either:
a) Follow the steps already provided to turn off cellular data for the GoPro app and let the downloads complete over wifi or
b) Once 7.3.2 is released uninstall and reinstall the app.

Maybe I suggest that you delete and install the app again, in that case you're sure that the migration step is removed.
And if you're turned off cellular data for the GoPro App you shoulnd't experience this any more.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for your reply.

I'm glad GoPro is working on this issue. However, on my iPhone I have auto-updates for my app. I checked and I have the latest edition, 7.3.2, which was auto-installed 5 days ago. Since my issue only occurred in the last few days, I'm not convinced the issue has been resolved.

I'm a bit confused about "migration to the Cloud." What Cloud? I'm not a subscriber so GoPro should not have a Cloud to migrate my data to.

I appreciate your help, but I am disappointed that your reply did not even have the courtesy to apologize. Having an app mistakenly migrate someone's photos and videos (to who knows where?)...at a cost to the customer... is more than just "an issue". Personally, I've used various iPhones for the last 9 years and I've never had an app use up my data so recklessly.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi,

I apologize, it's indeed a bad bug that has caused lots of frustration, which I clearly understand, as it has happened to me as well on my personal phone - eating up all my cellular data...

The media migration was between your GoPro App phone folder to GoPro App - so GoPro media and nothing else.
For the fix to be fully implemented, I would suggest that you delete the app and install it again. Make sure all of your media is saved first since it will delete the content of the app. 

It's surely something we are keeping on eye on.

Again, sorry about the whole trouble.