Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

GoPro app 'save to phone' / not automatically in Google Photos

[ New ]

Hello all! Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I haven't found the answer.

Questions:

Where are GoPro files stored when downloaded from my camera, before they are 'saved to phone' in the app?

Can I get them straight into Google Photos before repeat 'saving' them in the app?

Background (optional reading!):

I have a GoPro 7 Black that previously synced with Google Photos when photos were added via the GoPro app (working in February). They are in: Storage > DCIM > com.gopro.smarty > GoPro

Files from the last few days aren't showing up anywhere but in the GoPro app. I've now noticed that I can click 'Save to phone' within the GoPro app... if they aren't saved to the phone already where are they?

When I 'save to phone' they are now in: Storage > Emulated > 0 > Pictures > GoPro-Exports

These do show up in Google Photos.

Thank you for any help!

GoPro

Re: GoPro app 'save to phone' / not automatically in Google Photos

[ New ]

Hi @grahama0032

We have updated how your media is saved. Your GoPro media is now saved directly to the GoPro App. This makes it easier to manage, edit, and share your footage. You have the option to save the media to your device once the media have been imported to the app.

Once saved on your device, you can then import it to Google Photos.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hmmm, I'm sure the GoPro app can read the files wherever they are stored on the phone - they are downloaded onto the phone just now they are hidden from Google Photos etc? Do you know where the files are now stored and if they are in mp4/jpg format?

The only reason I can see to do this is to make GoPro Plus upload the easiest route by purposefully adding another step to other methods of backup. Please correct me if there is another benefit from having made this change.

I planned to get GoPro plus when I go travelling but this leaves a sour taste...

GoPro

[ New ]

@grahama0032, after the media contents are saved in the GoPro App, you can collect your copied media within the GoPro "app" media section and transfer them to your mobile device's native Photo app.  

1. Select the contents you want to download.
  2. Tap the download icon.
  3. Wait for the download to complete.
  4. Go into the GoPro media section and locate the copied footage.

For further details on how to view, copy, and delete media using GoPro App, please check this article.

Sightseer

[ New ]

We have updated how your media is saved. Your GoPro media is now saved directly to the GoPro App. This makes it easier to manage, edit, and share your footage. You have the option to save the media to your device once the media have been imported to the app.

Once saved on your device, you can then import it to Google Photos.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - when I import GoPro media now to my iPad/iPhone, it will save the data within the app itself.  If I want to see it in the camera roll, I have to export it to the camera roll?  Does that mean that all my GoPro media is now taking twice as much space on my iPad/iPhone?  I fail to see how this is a "better" solution.

Hopefully, I'm understanding you wrong.

Hiker

[ New ]

The silence from GoPro is deafening.

The added step to 'share' to device is poor. The duplicated content, if true, is poor.

GoPro - in my opinion, you have made an previously flaky product and process even worse. Why does file handling have to be so convoluted???

Explorer

[ New ]
Saving to the app allows for faster and more consistent uploads to GoPro Plus and integration with the Quik mobile app.
Hiker

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
Saving to the app allows for faster and more consistent uploads to GoPro Plus and integration with the Quik mobile app.

So you're making it more tedious for users to leave the GoPro ecosystem, gotcha.

Explorer

[ New ]
I'm not doing anything (other than enjoying the, "GoPro ecosystem").

This is a member to member support community. We don't build, produce, or create anything for GoPro. But yes, I'm sure GoPro does take into account things like their cloud uploading service and design their app so it is optimised for it (thankfully). Not doing so would be pretty crappy for their paying customers.
Sightseer

[ New ]

FWIW, I'm also in the same position: I have a hero7/android phone/google photos setup. 

Uploading the photos from the gopro to google photos involves many steps (download to gopro on phone, then export from gopro on phone to google photos, then delete media on the camera, then delete the media on the gopro app).  Since I'm never confident on whether I downloaded the photos or not, I end up downloading multiple times, and ending up with lots of duplicates (this is especially bad for videos, in terms of duplicate storage).

For my specific use case, the previous version of gopro which enabled direct download to google photos was infinitely better.

Does anybody know of a better way?  Could I attach the go pro directly to my phone via cable and have google photos treat it like a camera?  Should I buy a media card adapter, and just take out the sd card from the camera and download the photos that way?

Other than this, I love the gopro -- it's an awesome camera that I use for scuba diving all the time.  I just wish media management was better (I fully acknowledge that if I were using GoPro's cloud storage, things would be a whole lot better -- I'd rather not go this way and keep all my photos centralized in google photos).

Thanks, all, for the feedback on this thread, it's good to know I'm not alone with this issue.

GoPro

[ New ]

@chunkymonkey42, at this time, directly connecting the GoPro camera to a mobile device for file import (may it be in GoPro App or cloud storage app) isn't a feature.

Anyhow, I appreciate the insight as it can help us build a better experience with our products and applications. We'll definitely relay this information to the team in charge.

Let us know if anything else comes up. Stay stoked & have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!

Sightseer

[ New ]

It is simply shocking at how poorly GoPro treats its customers that already have a place for their content that isn't GoPro.  It  seems to me to be an act of despiration.  The cameras are good but no longer that differentiated. The cash grab with GoPro Plus is transparent and shamefull.  

The defenders on here are laughable in their position that it has any basis in technology.  It's clearly a finanically driven power play.

GoPro Hero 7 Black for sale if there are any takers let me know.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello Everyone, 

I could understand Gopro's marketing impulse to limit and restrains the power of its tools in order to sell its new products...

But, on my android when I want to export my 360 pictures, they get striped from their metadata and it becomes just useless: 
 - I lose the info that helps viewer to read the picture in 360 viewer, it's quite annoying!

- But I lose all metadata, such as capture date and time which is a sever flaw in 2020!

I don't even see the point of using the mobile app any longer, in such case.

Please fix this at least!

Thank you for your help

Kind regards,

-- 
 Éole

Tourist

[ New ]

I fully agree. This is a huge flaw. I am a new ish GoPro user (1 month). I took some short vids of skiing with the kids. I use Google Photos as my store everything cloud service. 

I first saved to device (took up most of my storage on device), then uploaded to Google Photos. Photos is now using up that space too to hold those videos, but not viewable (mp4?)

Finally took the sd card uploaded to laptop to backup at least..and metadata stripped? What kind of garbage is this, and are we in 1997 here?

Tourist

[ New ]

I should add: I shot some more stuff mountain biking last night, but because my device is chock full saving gopro footage I can't even save it onto the phone. I signed up for a trial of GoPro Plus, for the auto upload featuer (should BE STANDARD WITH THE APP). Unfortunately it only loads new files now.

Sightseer

[ New ]

The same problem here, this is very difficult to get photos from camera, I have gopro8 and there NO button to share media /googlePhoto/viber/facebook, store directly in local storage, the only way is use double storage inside app, then export each file. This is bad, really bad solution... Please fix it ASAP.

Tourist

[ New ]

Exactly! It just doesn't make any real sense for anyone desiring to edit their footage in another video editing app on their phone! Plus, it appears that each file MUST BE DUPLICATED in order to "save to phone"... this is terrible. I love the GoProro camera, but the GoPro Quik app + software???????? I won't say what I think about that!

Tourist

[ New ]

Which absolutely SUCKS for anyone who dislikes your ...ehm... cute little Quik app.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. This new method of saving files comes with a few benefits including better/faster storage quality, live streaming directly to Facebook fan pages, permanent media storage for Quikstories, and others. As was already mentioned, our team is always on the lookout for fixes and improvements to enhance user experience. We appreciate your sharing of insights. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

This new method of saving files comes with a few benefits including better/faster storage quality

What does 'better/faster storage quality' mean?

Please explain how this new workflow achieves this compared with saving to a location which can be accessed by the phone's default gallery app.

Please explain how having an additional step to save to the phone's default media location is better.

Please explain how having duplicate media files is better.

@mariustanya wrote:

We appreciate your sharing of insights. Thanks!

My insight:

When transferring media from GoPro device to phone, it should be placed in a default folder accessible to the phone's gallery (not some obscure location only visible to GoPro). Is there any reason why the GoPro app, Quik etc can't also do their thing with this save location?

Tourist

[ New ]
Complete agree, my iPad and iPhone are only 32GB. When I’m away on trips it’s a nightmare, currently using a new 8 Black. Back in the day my GoPro 3 saved files into a folder under Apple’s Photo App, perfect, all these photos get backed up to my Apple iCloud account, and when my device is running low, the photos get optimised leaving just thumbnails behind.

With this new method, ie photos being in the app make the GoPro app unusable because it uses up all the storage on my devices. Only option is not to use it.

I can’t see this being changed though because if we’re being honest, GoPro want to sell you cloud storage, and not have you using someone other vender, apple/google/OneDrive. It’s all about the money and not customer service. I’d love to see the requests from users saying “please change the app and store all my media where I can’t access it”, please let us know how many of these you had @GoPro?
Sightseer

[ New ]

This is complete bs. I've bought GoPro8 not for this. I probably should think to return it. Instead of easy way to get and sync MY OWN footage I have now to follow some flow some stupid Product Owner decided to implement. I have three kids - so I value my time and as others here clearly see when something as dishonest as this new FEATURE is being added. Shame on you GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]

I tried the GoPro plus add on, not worth it at all when you have to go through so many steps just to save your footage.

I link my app to the camera, see the videos I shot. It doesn't automatically go to the cloud (like it should), instead I have to save to the device using up a ton of storage. Inevitably I have no storage to continue to save and so the cloud backup is a waste. When I DO manage to save to device, then upload to app, then upload to cloud, I try to put it into Google Photos and it doesn't go in there.

This is bush league for a $500 camera to be honest. Canceling and will just use the sd cards to manually load onto my laptop and suffer through the old fashioned way to create movies. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@bike99, there are about four ways on how you can add the media files to your GoPro PLUS cloud storage. When using the GoPro App on your mobile device to upload the media files, it'll require that you download first the footage into the app before it starts uploading the media to the cloud (with Mobile Upload enabled and the mobile device is within Wi-Fi range).

If Mobile Upload isn't an option (e.g. insufficient mobile device storage), you can set up the Auto Upload in the camera. This feature lets you easily upload the media files to the PLUS cloud directly from the camera. Please see How to Set Up Auto Upload with GoPro Plus for the setup instructions. Once it is set, you'll just have to connect the camera to a wall charger with an output of 5V 2A and make sure it is within the Wi-Fi range. When your camera is sufficiently charged, the Auto Upload will start.

For further reference, see How to Add Media to GoPro Plus.

Tourist

[ New ]
GoPro are missing the point complete here, or are choosing to miss the point and just wanting to sell their cloud storage.

We as the GoPro community are saying we want the option to save our footage where we want to, and not be forced to use GoPro’s cloud service.

It’s simple, give us the choice! I’ve deleted the app, it’s pointless and now just copy the files directly off the SD card. Listen to your customer because this is not going to go away until we have the choice.
Tourist

[ New ]

I'd be super stoked if you can tell me how to transfer my video files directly from the sd card to my laptop!

My laptop won't recognize the sd card from my gopro :(