Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Explorer

Re: GoPro app 'save to phone' / not automatically in Google Photos

[ New ]
I'm not doing anything (other than enjoying the, "GoPro ecosystem").

This is a member to member support community. We don't build, produce, or create anything for GoPro. But yes, I'm sure GoPro does take into account things like their cloud uploading service and design their app so it is optimised for it (thankfully). Not doing so would be pretty crappy for their paying customers.
Sightseer

[ New ]

FWIW, I'm also in the same position: I have a hero7/android phone/google photos setup. 

Uploading the photos from the gopro to google photos involves many steps (download to gopro on phone, then export from gopro on phone to google photos, then delete media on the camera, then delete the media on the gopro app).  Since I'm never confident on whether I downloaded the photos or not, I end up downloading multiple times, and ending up with lots of duplicates (this is especially bad for videos, in terms of duplicate storage).

For my specific use case, the previous version of gopro which enabled direct download to google photos was infinitely better.

Does anybody know of a better way?  Could I attach the go pro directly to my phone via cable and have google photos treat it like a camera?  Should I buy a media card adapter, and just take out the sd card from the camera and download the photos that way?

Other than this, I love the gopro -- it's an awesome camera that I use for scuba diving all the time.  I just wish media management was better (I fully acknowledge that if I were using GoPro's cloud storage, things would be a whole lot better -- I'd rather not go this way and keep all my photos centralized in google photos).

Thanks, all, for the feedback on this thread, it's good to know I'm not alone with this issue.

GoPro

[ New ]

@chunkymonkey42, at this time, directly connecting the GoPro camera to a mobile device for file import (may it be in GoPro App or cloud storage app) isn't a feature.

Anyhow, I appreciate the insight as it can help us build a better experience with our products and applications. We'll definitely relay this information to the team in charge.

Let us know if anything else comes up. Stay stoked & have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!

Sightseer

[ New ]

It is simply shocking at how poorly GoPro treats its customers that already have a place for their content that isn't GoPro.  It  seems to me to be an act of despiration.  The cameras are good but no longer that differentiated. The cash grab with GoPro Plus is transparent and shamefull.  

The defenders on here are laughable in their position that it has any basis in technology.  It's clearly a finanically driven power play.

GoPro Hero 7 Black for sale if there are any takers let me know.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello Everyone, 

I could understand Gopro's marketing impulse to limit and restrains the power of its tools in order to sell its new products...

But, on my android when I want to export my 360 pictures, they get striped from their metadata and it becomes just useless: 
 - I lose the info that helps viewer to read the picture in 360 viewer, it's quite annoying!

- But I lose all metadata, such as capture date and time which is a sever flaw in 2020!

I don't even see the point of using the mobile app any longer, in such case.

Please fix this at least!

Thank you for your help

Kind regards,

-- 
 Éole

Tourist

[ New ]

I fully agree. This is a huge flaw. I am a new ish GoPro user (1 month). I took some short vids of skiing with the kids. I use Google Photos as my store everything cloud service. 

I first saved to device (took up most of my storage on device), then uploaded to Google Photos. Photos is now using up that space too to hold those videos, but not viewable (mp4?)

Finally took the sd card uploaded to laptop to backup at least..and metadata stripped? What kind of garbage is this, and are we in 1997 here?

Tourist

[ New ]

I should add: I shot some more stuff mountain biking last night, but because my device is chock full saving gopro footage I can't even save it onto the phone. I signed up for a trial of GoPro Plus, for the auto upload featuer (should BE STANDARD WITH THE APP). Unfortunately it only loads new files now.

Sightseer

[ New ]

The same problem here, this is very difficult to get photos from camera, I have gopro8 and there NO button to share media /googlePhoto/viber/facebook, store directly in local storage, the only way is use double storage inside app, then export each file. This is bad, really bad solution... Please fix it ASAP.