Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

GoPro app - export resolution 1080p

[ New ]

How can I export edits from the Gopro app (Ios) in 1080p?

in the Quik app this was an optional setting but I can't find it anywhere on the Gopro app.

can anyone help?

thanks

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro app - export resolution 1080p

[ New ]

@luisg73580 

Hi,

We do want to add a detailed info on export resolution in the future, yes.

On iOS -  Right now export resolution = resolution of the most media clips you have. If it's 1080p then it will be 1080p if you have mainly 4K, then 4K.
On Android - it's 1080p / 60fps

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

@luisg73580 

Hi,

We do want to add a detailed info on export resolution in the future, yes.

On iOS -  Right now export resolution = resolution of the most media clips you have. If it's 1080p then it will be 1080p if you have mainly 4K, then 4K.
On Android - it's 1080p / 60fps

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, I've just used the gopro app (android) for the first time to edit my video and I must say I am really dissapointed with the quality. It may say it's 1080p, but it's a lot worse compared to the same 1080p when created in quik app for mobile. The quik file was 1000 MB while the one from gopro app (comparable lenght) is only 300 MB. Is there a way to improve quality of the gopro app output files? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @swiftstar85250 

Could you give me more info please?
- What device / OS are you on?
- What kind of files are you exporting in GoPro App: is it a multi-clip editing? A rendered 360 Keyframed video? Photo grab? Trimmed video?

- What is the resolution / fps of the source/original media?

Thank you :) 

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi,
My device is Samsung Galaxy S9 (android). All the original files come from gopro hero 7 black. Original resolution is 2.7k 60 fps. they were not edited before using them in gopro app. there were about 20 orignal files used to create the final 3 minute film.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for the info and your feedback. I will see with our Dev Team.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Bonjour, je suis également intéressé car la réponse car j'ai exactement le même problème sur OnePlus. La qualité est triste et incomparable à ce que l'on voit sur l'app GoPro (ou là, la qualité de la vidéo est incroyable). : https://youtu.be/td2IlNi4ILc

Merci d'avance pour l'aide

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @megastoke1837  It's hard to tell because when watching a video on YouTube there's always a compression on top - YouTube doesn't help with quality and we can't compare things from YouTube :( 

Tourist

Betreff: GoPro app - export resolution 1080p

[ New ]

Bei mir werden die Videos in sehr schlechter qualität aus der GoPro App exportiert. Alle Aufnahmen sind direkt von der Hero 8 in 1080/30 gefilmt und unbearbeitet in die GoPro app importiert worden. In der app sieht die qualität auch gut aus, nur nach dem exportieren nicht mehr. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @saigerracing 

Sorry about that. So when you're saying "only after exporting quality isn't good" - where is that? Phone? Youtube? Facebook? Computer? GoPro Plus?
Also are you doing a single edit (just edit this one video alone) or a multi-clip edit (edit can be with several media, with a video style, music etc...) ?

I would suggest that you get the video from your phone to your computer and check resolution / fps from there so you'll know more about the quality of the file.

Please let us know if you're on Android or iOS / device and OS info.

Tourist

[ New ]
I bought hero 7 black and now I have a lot of 2.7k and 4k videos. Also I have modern android smartphone which can edit 4k videos fast using quik or gopro app.
Why maximum resolution for export is 1080p? Are you stuck in 2008 ?
Hiker

[ New ]
Exactly these clowns are stuck on android 4 and windows 7. It's absurd to think they failed to put at least a min output of 1080p 60fps as an option like quik. If you're going to stop supporting quik then you need to fix the resolution output to higher standards with options. It's not like it affects GoPro in any way, you guys need to get it together.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Wow. CLOWNS!!! I bought a Hero8 Black last year. I'm finally getting to edit a bunch of the videos that I shot at 4k. I spent hours and hours and hours editing some of my videos with their app over the last few days. Now, I export my *4k* video edit and it exports it as 683x384 !!???!!! What is the complete ridiculousness is this!? This is the epitome of frustration!! What did I even pay for!? How can this be real!? Your app doesn't have an "export resolution" setting?! I'm flummoxed. I'm so upset right now that I seriously want to smash my gopro. UGH!!!! Great software you guys put together but YOU FORGOT YOUR ONE JOB!!!!!! UGH!!! I don't even know what I'm going to do now other than just cry for a day. *baffled*

Sightseer

[ New ]

Also, can you please make this stupid

"Tell us what you think
After your visit, can you take a brief survey and tell us how we did?"

popup out of my face on this website!? Wow. It keeps popping up over and over and over and it's everywhere. How annoying. You guys hire only 17 year olds for your site maintenance or what!?
GoPro

[ New ]

@grandpeak44024 
Currently here's what you have when you export a multi-clip edit (Story with several videos):
- On Android it's 1080p/60fps in output.
- On iOS we take the resolution of the most media in your Story (so if you have a majority of 4K media, output will be 4K)

When you work on single media edit, the resolution is unchanged.

Tourist

[ New ]
no. it is not. it only says it's 1080p. but it looks like 480p upscaled to 1080p. quality is awfuf. I also think I wasted my time using the app.
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,
Can you please tell me where you are watching your video?
Tourist

[ New ]
I already did. a few posts before. really theres no point discussing it again. I just wish to warn people so that they dont make the same mistakes I made. If you people care about the quality of your footage use some other app (even the older quik app provides better quality, but still not the best possible)
GoPro

[ New ]
So if you're making a multi-clip editing on your Android device and checking its resolution, it should be 1080p. It won't be 2.7k, but it should be 1080p and not 480p.
Tourist

[ New ]

dear haindash
Gopro 7 Black 1080 video bitrate is ~45-50 Mbit/sec

Quik output bitrate ~50 Mbit/sec
GoproApp bitrate is 16 Mbit/sec

that is why Gopro App output 1080 video looks like 480 upscaled to 1080.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hello
I have The same problem, did you receive Solution?
Tourist

[ New ]

no solution yet. Still waiting for new version of application from GoPro.

At this moment maximum posible quality for android is to film 1080*60 videos and edit is with old Quik application.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thx
Now i use inshot app , there is export to custom resolution but bitrate is also low.
Gopro apps made greate marketing but apps are 😖
GoPro

[ New ]

@fleetflame84261 @luisg73580 @redemon @swiftstar85250 @grandpeak44024 

I am in contact with the Product and Dev Team and we are aware that the current bitrate on GoPro App Android isn't high enough - work will be done to improve it. I don't have a timeframe though.

I can provide you with the beta - which is one version ahead of the PlayStore if that's something you would like to try out. (However the increased bitrate isn't on it yet, just to be clear) It would be a way to a little ahead bug fix and feature wise.
Let me know.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hello
Ok I would like join to beta gopro app

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi,

To beta test GoPro App you will have to fill out a NDA first.

Here: https://goprorc.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3dRVirHRT9IfmBf
I'll add you to our testers' list when it's done.

Beta process:
- Open this url on your phone and follow instructions to access the beta: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.gopro.smarty
To share feedback and for follow up > ask access to our Beta Testing feedback group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/goproapp.android.beta
I manage this group, it's a place where beta users share their feedback / ideas / bug reports / videos / questions etc...
We can then do the follow up on the Facebook group and per Messenger (Anais GoPro), it's best for me to help users that way.

Hiker

[ New ]

i have the same problem.

When the App will bei fixed ?

i use a Gopro Hero 7 with 4K 60 fps no protune stabilizer on.

The Exportvideo from the Gopro App looks like 1080p or lower.

Hiker

[ New ]

i have the same problem.

When the App will bei fixed ?

i use a Gopro Hero 7 with 4K 60 fps no protune stabilizer on.

The Exportvideo from the Gopro App looks like 1080p or lower.

Gopro App works on iPhone 11 

GoPro

[ New ]

@cbrktmfabi 

So if you're on Android, when you're doing a multi-clip edit you will get 1080/60fps in output. For now, for performance reasons we can't activate 4K exports. We are looking at ways to improve this.

If you are on iOS - we take the resolution of the most media you have in your Story. So if you have a majority of 4K footage then export will be in 4K.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi there,

Till now I used the Quik App to edit my movies on my iphone 11pro or ipad pro and exported it with 1080p/60fps which was only a compromise (cause i lost the 4K Resolution I was filming with). I always missed the posibility to export in 4K/60FPS.

Today I tried the GoPro App which is really nice and useful and it obviously supports 4K but (and this is really bad) I cannot export 4k with 60fps. It works only 4K/30fps. This is worse than 1080p/60fps because espacially the 60fps is what movies make look the best!

Please make it work with 60fps! It makes me really angry - I have a wonderful Hero 8 and a Hero 6 (with a KarmaGrip) and the videos I try to edit with original GoPro apps cannot be exported with the highest resolution/framerates (I really don't get it!)! So please make either Quik App work with 4K (cause 1080p/60fps is already possible) or even better - make the GoPro App work with 60fps (only 4K/30fps is possible).

So at the moment I only can choose 1080p/60fps in Quik or 4K/30fps in GoPro App. Neither of them is really satisfying!!!

Please help!

Auf gut Deutsch - bitte macht entweder die Quik App für 4k/60fps bereit oder die GoPro App. Aber weder 1080p/60fps (Quik) noch 4K/30fps (GoPro App) sind absolut unbefriedigend, wenn man mit 4K/60fps so richtig geile Action Videos mit viel Speed aufnimmt! Ich würde das dann auch gerne mit den GoPro Apps bearbeiten und ordentlich (4K/60fps) exportieren können. Sowohl mein iphone11pro als auch mein ipad pro schaffen das locker!!!

Also bitte um Hilfe und Antwort!

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,
I have raised a bug for the 30 fps export. It used to be 60 fps and it has changed recently due to some issues. I've reported the problem yesterday, hopefully a fix will come soon.
Hiker

[ New ]
Hi Dromdroll,

das ist aber leider nicht alles.
Bei mir sind die Konturen extrem verwaschen....
Es wird zwar unter Info am Mac die 4K Auflösung angegeben, allerdings ist das Video gegen andere Videos komplett verwaschen.
Wenn ich als Vergleich an iPhone ein Video erstelle, dann ist das gestochen scharf das es fast weh tut 😂 auch die Rohdateien sind schön scharf...
Bis ich sie ins die GoPro App lade ...
Aber das ärgerliche daran ist, dass dies vor 3 Wochen alles noch funktioniert hat ...
Hiker

[ New ]

OK - ich hab die GoPro App erst heute getestet, weil ich gelesen habe, dass sie mit 4K funktionieren soll. Habe bis jetzt immer die Quik App verwendet.

Schade, dass die GoPro App nicht (mehr) ordentlich funktioniert - die hätte echt Potential und ich würde sie gerne verwenden!

Was mir auch aufegfallen ist - die Live-Fotos des iphone/ipad können nur als normales Foto importiert werden - die "Live-Videos" werden anscheinenend auch nicht unterstützt. In der Quik App hat das aber hervorragend funktioniert - leider eben nur in 1080p (allerdings mit 60fps)!

Na dann hoffen wir auf baldige updates!

GoPro

[ New ]

@dromdrol @cbrktmfabi 

Hi,

First we need to fix the issue of the framerate going down from 60fps to 30fps on iOS. It is working correctly at 60fps on Android. 

Then we have the general topic of quality, we are planning to add Quality Settings in the App, I don't have a timeframe on this.

And about the way Live Photos are handled as norma photos currently, yes this is also something we have in mind but again no timeline on this, I am sorry.

Hiker

[ New ]

@haindash 

Good to know that you work on a fix.

There is one more thing (as Apple would say *gg*) - It is not possible to use GoPro App in Landscape mode (that is espacially bad on the ipad pro when you use the new magic keyboard or any other keyboard, cause you have to take out the ipad to edit in Portrait Mode) - GoPro App only let's you edit in Portrait mode (only to watch the movie you can show it also in landscape)! Quik App instead let's you edit in landscape mode and portrait mode.

So - the only thing you should do is to take the best features from both apps and put them together to one great app!

thx

GoPro

[ New ]
Yes, this also is a recurring feedback from users which I have brought back to the Team. So we are aware but again, I have no time as of when this will be implemented, sorry :(
Yes, we do want to have the best of both worlds for sure, Quik and GoPro app, that's the idea indeed.
Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem to my Hero8 after "Save to Phone" for the Edit movie. Please pass the attached image to the dev team saying even the file info says is 1920x1080, the file is actual 360pixel quality. There must be a bug to a setting when saving to phone/export. Thanks.

Annotation 2020-06-27 191410.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

I think I found out where is the bug. Btw, I'm using Pixel 3(Andriod). There are 2 options to export

1. Save to Phone (This has a bug exporting 360p quality)

2. Share (This eports the 1080p quality, see attachment) - After the file is ready to share, I pick to "Upload to my google photo storage).

I can totally see the quality different when viewing the video on my phone. Please follow up with the dev team. Thanks.

Annotation 2020-06-27 1914102-3.jpg
Sightseer

[ New ]

Christ almighty. How dumb can you be. 

@haindash wrote:
So if you're making a multi-clip editing on your Android device and checking its resolution, it should be 1080p. It won't be 2.7k, but it should be 1080p and not 480p.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I think they are clueless
Sightseer

[ New ]

I cut a 7 second part of 1 video and shared itfrom my IPhone to someone on whatsapp. Looked gret on my phone before I sent it. But when I saw it on Whatsapp. it looked like 360p. I can always download from Hero 8 to pc and send that way to keep 4K quality. But I don't always carry my pc in my back pocket. 85 inch monitor rips the pocket trying to fit it in.

GoPro

[ New ]

@mrrz500 @chrischankit 

Hi,

I have a Pixel1 at hand which is what I do my testing with.
Right now I used several 1080/60 Hero8 videos to make a multi clip edit - I save it and export to phone. I use Video Info Viewer to check the file. As expected : Resolution is 1920x1080 / FPS is 60. The output video isn't 360p.

From what I'm seeing is that YouTube isn't displaying the correct resolution. The issue you are having seems to be on YouTube side as the output file from GoPro App has the correct resolution.

Also Whatsapp does compress videos a lot as well.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Okay thank you.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have IPad Pro 2018, hero 7 black, all footage is shot 4K 24fps, when I edit it in GoPro app and export it only export in 720p, every single time, how can I change this? There's no video export quality setting, what is the point of this app if it only export in 720p?

Tourist

[ New ]
Hello
The output video from the gopro app have a very bad resolution 683x 384. (Not 1080p)
I'm using 4k source files from hero 7 and a samsung s8.
The quality is very poor and compression very low. Why?
Hiker

[ New ]
Hello,

With the iPhone 11 i‘ve still also the same problem
GoPro

[ New ]
@marekh001 - you are on GoPro App right? Not Quik App?
On Quik App you have to actually activate 1080p in the settings of the app otherwise it will be in 720p.

However on GoPro App, if you have a majority of 4K media in your video then the output should also be 4K.
How do you check the resolution of your video? Where do you see that it's 720p?
GoPro

[ New ]

@stefanop0536 

On Android you will not get 4K in output when making a multi-clip edit, sorry.

The output resolution is set to 1080p/60fps
Right after exporting the video to your phone, please use the free Video Info Viewer to check the file and check its resolution.

Please let me know.

GoPro

[ New ]

@cbrktmfabi 

How do you check the resolution of the file?
I would suggest that you use the free app Video Info Viewer right after exporting the video to your phone.

QA tested with 11 Pro max, using some 4K files into a multi-clip edit, exporting the video and got 4K in output (2160x2160 if square format / 3840x2160 if cinema format) so all good here.

Hiker

[ New ]
Hello haindash,

i still have the same problem as at the beginning of this thread. The export resolution from the GoPro app always shows me in 4K resolution under the information, but the video quality is washed out and not sharp. the quality of the raw file is much better than after exporting from the GoPro app to the iPhone. this was not the case before the GoPro app updates.