Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

GoPro Quik - Seemingly Ignores Hilights, Video Choppy When Editing

GoPro Hero 7 Black 01.61

Videos are recorded in 1080 at 120fps, HVEC + H.264

Samsung Note8 (Android 8.0.0)

I'm experiencing two problems, which are perhaps related (or not).

PROBLEM 1 // When Quik creates videos, it seems to ignore Hilights I've added. The segments Quik is choosing seem to be at random and skipping around the video. If by some chance it is using my Hilights, which I don't think it is, the clips around the Hilights don't "wrap" the Hilight like the documentation suggests it should (+/- 1 or 2 seconds from the Hilight point). The result is a random montage that is kind of cool looking, except that I never get a full shot of anything I want.

For example, I'm filming myself practing on a mini snowboard and want an entire 360 spin to appear in the video, which lasts about 1-2 seconds. I've been placing the Hilight close to the center of the spin, but I never get remotely close to the entire spin to show up in the Quik video.

PROBLEM 2 // Not knowing if this is just the random way Quik creates "artistic" interpretations, I try to edit to get the full shot I want. However, when I press Edit (the pencil) and then press Hilight to enter a scrubbable timeline of the video, the video playback is choppy. It may play a second of video then the video will freeze (the music nor the UI freezes, to be clear) before playing for a millisecond and then freezing again. If I scrub the timeline, the frame will usually update to where I am in the timeline, but the video will freeze again after a second.

What's weird to me is that the Quik video itself doesn't have any issue with playback other than it seems to ignore the Hilights. Playback in the GoPro app is fine and playback in the Samsung Gallery app is fine (although there's no slomo feature, but it plays at normal looking speed and scrubbing works fine).

** I tried to do a screen recording using the Google YouTube Gaming app, which apparently lets one record their screen and save it to YouTube for sharing, when I noticed MORE weirdness. When the Gaming app is recording the screen (it's some sort of overlay), the video plays almost perfectly (just a few stutters here and there)! When I closed the app to see if something just "fixed itself," the video went back to freezing up like before…

New to GoPro and absolutely LOVE the camera, but the software experience has been mediocre, at best.