Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

GoPro Max - black screen on iPhone for 360° videos

[ New ]

Hi!

I am using a GoPro Max with newest firmware (Version number 01.40).

Whenever I take a 360° video I can view the video on the camera screen and using the preview function of the app.

Whenever I download the video to the GoPro app using any smart device (iPad Pro, iPhone 11) using the app, I will have a dark screen and only the sound.

iOS Version 13.3

GoPro App Vers. 6.5 (3495)

I tried different smart devices, I deleted the app, restart of the smart device, new installation of the app and new paring; different names for the camera - still the same results.

I also have a GoPro Hero7 Black with no issues.

Does anybody have a solution?

Best 

Soenke

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro Max - black screen on iPhone for 360° videos

[ New ]
SOLUTION !!!
SOLUTION !!!
SOLUTION !!!

iPhone / iPad
Settings >
General >
Reset >
Reset All Settings
SOLVES THE FOLLOWING ISSUE
Gopro Max/Fusion

360 Video
Preview Camera Content or
Imported Video to the iPhone/iPad
BLACK VIDEO SCREEN / AUDIO OK

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @fireyboost27672. Please check and see if the devices you are using meet the requirements for 360 Support in the GoPro App

Also, see if reducing the screen motion will have an effect. Check out https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202655 before performing anything. 

Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi!
Thank you for your message.
Yes, the devices I tried meet the requirements.
I tried reducing screen motion (switching on, downloading movie, black screen) on different devices with no effect.
Best regards
Soenke
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the additional information you provided, @fireyboost27672. To verify, the black screen audio only issue you observe happens even when just viewing the media, right? Not necessarily when you are doing a multi-clip edit or creating a story? Have you been able to playback the media through other players on the devices that you mentioned, or on a computer perhaps? 

Does it matter which resolution setting was used for the recordings? If a sample clip is available, see if one captured in HERO mode behaves the same way. These details will help us further isolate the source of the trouble. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi!

I can preview the clips on the camera using the app. No matter what resolution.

Whenever I download the 360° video from the camera to the app, I will get a dark screen and only sound. I can edit that file within the app. But all images I will extract or new videos I will generate, I have black screen. 

When I use the story mode with these files, I have a black screen.

When I capture a non-360° video, I can preview the video on the phone using the app, I can download the file from the camera to the phone and I have sound and picture.

Thanks!

Soenke

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi ,@fireyboost27672 
It's going to sound a bit basic but .... could you make sure to do a restart of your device before trying again.
Also - know that update 6.7 is just around the corner.
Keep us posted, thanks :)

GoPro

[ New ]

Hey @fireyboost27672 ,

Do me a solid, and try to restart your device, and see if the problem still persists. I'm keeping an eye out for this issue for a while now, but i'm not able to reproduce it.
It's highly likely that the app went into a bad state [it happens with many apps], and most of the time a device restart solves this issue.

Let me know how it works, and if it doesn't fix it, can you please upload a screencast of the issue, so i can try to take it from there?

Cheers,
aarlekk

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi!

I have restarted the iPhone and nothing changed. 

I have restarted the iPad and nothing changed.

Finally, I have reset the camera and have inserted a brand new SD card and made a new movie. And still the same.

I can preview 360 videos while they are on the camera, but as soon as have I have downloaded them to the app, I will get a black screen and only sound.

Best

Soenke

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi Soenke, Sorry to hear that. Know that 6.8 will be released very soon (waiting on Apple's approval) hopefully this will help and we will go from there.
Tourist

[ New ]

Is there a fix in place for the issue Soenke has previously described?

I have a brand new MAX and am experiencing the same issue when trying to download Media (full res) from the camera to the App, I can preview and see it fine but then just a black screen (with audio) when i download the RAW file.

I've tried all the steps previously mentioned on the thread and even went out and bought a new $30 SD Card, still nothing.

What's perplexing is that I've previously/successfully downloaded 360 footage to the Media center without any issue, this just came up about 1 week after getting the camera and capturing 360 footage.

Im also able to download RAW, non-360 video and photos without this issue happening, its just 360 files...

Thanks for any help, maybe my camera hardware is shot and I got a lemon??

Best
Chris

Tourist

[ New ]

I had the same problem today. I had to delete the video and redownload it directly from the camera. I find the cloud upload unreliable at best. I havent found where they moved the snapshot button where you can grab a thumbnail while editing.

Tourist

[ New ]

I found another work around. If you get the black screen back out of the video to the grid style thumbnails then reenter the video and it will play.

Tourist

[ New ]

iPhone / iPad

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

Gopro Max/Fusion

360 Video 

Preview Camera Content or Imported Video to the iPhone/iPad

Tourist

[ New ]
iPhone / iPad

Gopro Max/Fusion

360 Video
Tourist

[ New ]
I have had the same issue ever since I purchased the max. it doesn’t matter where the 360 video comes from. I can download one or I can record one, I just got a black screen with the sound when I play it back on my iPhone 11 Pro. I have submitted a ticket and followed up with GoPro many times; they have not been able to do anything for me. I have shown them screen captures from my phone and can always reproduce the issue. The only thing I can do to actually view or edit 360° video is to borrow my wife’s iPhone 11... but she doesn’t have very much storage on her device. This basically makes my go Pro Max a paperweight. :(

I can’t reset all of the settings on my phone because I use my phone for lots of things. if there is a particular app or setting that go pro doesn’t like, I need to know what it is.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @utahdrone. Have you been able to update the version of the GoPro App on your iPhone since the last time that you interacted with Support? Which version of the GoPro App is installed on your phone now? Make sure to update to the latest version, then restart your phone after the update. 

Check as well if there are power-saving or animation settings on your phone that may be preventing the media to playback correctly. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
I just made sure I have the latest version. It reports 6.11 (3659). I have gone through every setting in my iPhone, comparing it with my wife’s and I can’t ever get it to playback 360 videos. I did have an accessibility setting turned on to reduce motion. I turned that off and rebooted my phone, but that didn’t help. I know I’m not the only one. I’d love to help you figure this out. What else can I try?
GoPro

[ New ]

@utahdrone 

Sorry about that, we've had mention of this issue before however we did not manage to ever reproduce this problem in-house making it hard to fix. I will try to know more.

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Can you please send an email to mobile-feedback@gopro.com

Subject Line: GoPro MAX Help

And answer the following questions:

• Are you able to view/playback Hero Mode (2D) videos/photos either from the camera or once downloaded to the app on your phone?
  • Do you have a GoPro account, if so, what is the email you used to log-into it?
  • How much free space do you have on your device?
  • Any other video or editing software apps on your phone?

Once you send us an email, we will reply back shortly.
Thank you!
GoPro

Tourist

[ New ]

- Yes, I can playback 2D videos just fine. The 360 videos playback without error, there is just a black screen. Here's a screencapture video of me opening up a 360 video I recorded with my MAX: https://photos.app.goo.gl/RfNJrYimAnSqoC8B9

- Yes, I have a GoPro account. The email is ed718****@hotmail.com. Yes, I am logged in with that account in the GoPro app.

- I've got 30 GB of free space on my iPhone. I've tried short and long videos. I always get the same result.

- Yes, other apps I use on my phone for taking and editing video include: Splice, Youtube, Camera+, Orange Cam, Videosport, Vidometer, iMovie, and Videoshop.

Tourist

[ New ]
iPhone / iPad

Gopro Max/Fusion

360 Video
Tourist

[ New ]

I decided to try resetting all settings on my phone and... it worked! I can now see the 360 degree video!

Now I just have to go through and reconfigured preferences on my phone and setup all my credit cards in Apple Pay again. I'll try to check the video as I'm changing settings to see if there is something that breaks it along the way.

Tourist

[ New ]
SOLUTION !!!
SOLUTION !!!
SOLUTION !!!

iPhone / iPad
Settings >
General >
Reset >
Reset All Settings